: Parking brake release

kwseiders
10-17-04, 10:47 PM
I read the posts on the parking brake release, and how when it doesn't release, it could be a vacuum problem. I seem to have the opposite problem. My parking brake holds, but releases a soon as the engine starts. It does not wait for me to put the car into gear. The vacuum servo seems to be working all right, but the vacuum tube has vacuum in it all the time. What would cause this, and how would I correct it? Could this also be signs of a bad vacuum servo? I would appreciate any information, and how I should begin troubleshooting.

Thanks, Ken

barge master
10-17-04, 11:10 PM
I dunno if someone might have more specific info, but here's where I'd start. Look to the switch that controls the vacuum. If vacuum is getting to the release switch at all times, it would stand to reason that the switch is not doing it's job of regulating it to only get vacuum in reverse or drive. :welcome:

davesdeville
10-18-04, 08:35 PM
My 78 does the same thing... I just put my foot on the brake...

gmsedan
10-18-04, 08:41 PM
I had a similar problem with my 90 Brougham. If I recall, I had to replace a vacuum switch that was located on the steering column.

FASSTWOOD
10-18-04, 09:52 PM
I believe its a neutral safety switch on that car its half vacuum and half electrical...

scurling
10-19-04, 01:05 AM
There isn't much in the '94 manual on the parking brake, but here is the explanatino and diagnostic columns from the book. I don't see a diagnosis matching your exact problem, but this may help point you in the right direction.

The vacuum is generated to release the brake with the electrical connection of the backup and /or transmission position sensor switch. You may want to check these electrical connections to see if they are always on with respect to the brake release assy.

I have tried to attach a scan file, but can't get it small enough to satisfy the upload requirements and have it readable.