: When it rains it pours.

jcolliga40
07-05-11, 10:02 AM
Here's an update on the 86 fleetwood build putting the 350 Oldsmobile in. I got everything back together including the Carb on and had to do some Fab work for the throttle and TV cable to work but everything worked. I filled it with oil primed the motor no leaks. Yay then went for the antifreeze filled one gallon in radaitor then half of a gallon of water and it starts pissing out the side of the block. Come to find out the head is leaking bad between the head and block. Arg I called the machine shop this morning to see what they want to do. Either way this puts me back a lot I was going to fire it and start tuning it yesterday but that's history now. Considering I am going away this comming weekend.

PRdeVille
07-05-11, 11:12 AM
I always think that "bad" stuff happens, yet because there's something "good" behind it.

Maybe you buttoned everything up, and the leak sprung 500 miles away from home.
Maybe it ruined the engine.

It sucks... but forward man!! :)

jcolliga40
07-05-11, 11:48 AM
Ya the worst thing is I have to take it all apart again. Which I am not looking forward to. But that is true thank God it didn't happen while it was running.
I also forgot to add my motorcycle keeps overheating to make matters worse. LOL nothing but fun this weekend.

csbuckn
07-05-11, 11:57 AM
Thats the same thing that happened on our Olds 350. Fresh build started leaking. It looked like it was leaking from the head gasket but we took the exhaust manifolds off and it was wet under them also. I never found the issue, we sold it. But someone saw the ad on craigs and called. He said that you have to put gasket sealant around some of the bolts. I dont remember if he said the head bolts or exhaust manifold bolts. Maybe you should call Mondello Performance. They specialize in Olds motors or search Yahoo a little.

jcolliga40
07-05-11, 04:44 PM
I called the machine shop that did the work for me but no answer so I left a message. I also emailed them and sent them pictures of where it is leaking. I sent an email over to mondello asking for advise bit no.answer yet. I really do not want to send the motor back because it took more then 4 months to get it. And if I send it back its only going to be long and that's more money I have to pay to keep it in this guys garage.

csbuckn
07-05-11, 04:51 PM
I couldnt really find much on the internet except one person saying that most Olds motors need "bolt sealant" around the head bolts. I took ours apart and couldnt find anything wrong with the heads, block or gaskets. It only leaked on the drivers side right in the middle of the block. I would say to take off the exhaust manifold and a couple head bolts near the leak and see if you can pinpoint the leak.

jcolliga40
07-05-11, 05:08 PM
Ya I think that's going to be the plan but I have a warranty for it so I want to make sure not to void it.

cadillac_al
07-06-11, 01:25 AM
Checked out my '77 FSM and it says just use oil on head bolts, no mention of sealant. It does say the head gasket is a special composite and no sealant is needed and the contrasting color face up. Of course this was 1977 and head gaskets have changed a lot since then. I hope the head isn't cracked or something. Your machine shop should stand behind their work since you haven't even fired it up yet. I would let them handle it and hopefully they will put a rush on it.

jcolliga40
07-06-11, 08:54 PM
I talked to them today they said pull the head and check the gasket and check for any machine problems. But first I am going to check torque on the bolts and see what they come to. I read somewhere that they are suppose to be around 160 lbs. I am in the process of trying to upload some pictures of everything. I cannot figure out how to make the picture smaller or compress the file so it will upload arg.

jcolliga40
07-06-11, 09:04 PM
If anyone wants to check out the leak and the motor here is it. I was unable to upload it to this site but worked fine on the olds site. http://classicoldsmobile.com/forums/newbie-forum/37217-new-guy.html#post297842