: Spark Knock eliminated with octane booster?

mattys_ext
07-05-11, 12:01 AM
I noticed that when you run 89 octane the idle has a bit of a knock. I looked it up in the manual and apparently this is to be expected if your not running 91 or better.

So lately I've been using regular with some octane booster and it seems to have eliminated the rough idle. Has anyone else tried this with any luck?

fmfa0801
07-05-11, 11:06 AM
I think for the $7-10+ you spend on the booster you might as well buy premium gas and spend the same amount of $$. I used to work auto parts and a co-worker used some of the booster in his street car. A week later he pulled the spark plugs and it turned them orange (which was the same color as the booster)

darhef
07-05-11, 11:12 AM
Other than turning your plugs a different color, what damage will octane boosters cause?

fmfa0801
07-05-11, 03:06 PM
I dont know what damage it might cause. After seeing that im not going to try it lol

MrHolland
07-05-11, 03:21 PM
Im not sure why anyone would use octane booster and lower grade fuel when the manual doesn't recommend doing that.

darkknight1999
07-05-11, 06:48 PM
Yeah the average octane booster runs about $8 bucks, regular gas for this conversation cost $3.60 and premium will run you let's say $4.00. Which means there is zero savings buying the cheap gas and then adding booster to it.
I think the lesson here is to just buy the good gas. If you can afford an Escalade you should be able to afford the premium gas it requires to run properly.

And don't get me wrong buying gas at $4 bucks a gallon sucks big time... Thankfully i have a company truck so my Escalade is a second car to crat the family and dogs around on the weekend. The wife drives a VW CC as a "daily driver gas saver" as long as the wife is driving... lol Im not into saving gas for a rainy day ;) lol

krieghoff
07-05-11, 08:04 PM
And you wouldn't run premium gas why?????

fmfa0801
07-05-11, 08:52 PM
It would also be easier buying premium gas anyways instead of trying to find the booster you always use or caring it around with you every time you fill up. Plus the booster is probably cheaply made and not as good as premium gas.

hcvone
07-06-11, 07:50 AM
Octane booster is nasty stuff, we used it for years in our snowmobiles and ATV's, if you leave it on the shelf too long it eats through the can. Short term probably no problems, but long term it will damage your cats, and as said there is no savings compared to higher octane gas. :)

mattys_ext
07-10-11, 11:14 PM
true. the only reason i was asking was because i use a company account and its "frowned" upon to purchase premium....

MrSplenda
07-11-11, 01:10 AM
It is honestly crazy how many posts are related to using fuel that isn't recommended. We drive $80,000 trucks. Use the fuel that is recommended. Period. On a side note, I think we need to get the Moderators to auto delete any future posts that pertain to "dismayed" owners that have problems with their Escalades because they are using sub standard gas.

mattys_ext
07-12-11, 06:27 PM
easy bud. i never said i had problems nor that i was looking for an alternative. I was purely invoking an idea. If the internet shouldn't be used for that then whats the point?

MrSplenda
07-12-11, 10:03 PM
A simple read of the owners manual states what fuel you should use. 91 Octane, or higher is recommended. If you have a yellow gas cap on your 2010, E85 (110 octane) is fine too. A simple search on this forum would have garnered you all the treads you could possibly read on the "alternative" to putting less than grade fuel into your truck. Do not go Al Gore on me by posturing the genesis of the Internet.

Dobiesdaddy
07-20-11, 12:14 PM
Hi I'm Al Gore, I invented the internet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v73/Hassmeister/images-1.jpg

Using octane boosters is a waste. Stick to the Premium and you'll have no problems. An occasional fuel system cleaner like P.I. from Amsoil would benefit you too!