: F*CK! Now Me Too (Oil Leak)!!

Wannago
07-04-11, 11:07 PM
I put my car up on jacks to pull of the wheels, give them a good cleaning, then C-Quartz the inside to hopefully make the brake dust easier to clean.

Today I did the fronts, and noticed that it would appear that my '09 is suffering the porous block problem:

There are no drips or spots on the floor, and my oil level is still right at the top of the stick, even though I am almost ready for a change.

I remember reading that some others who have had the repair done have had it reoccur. Any comments from those who have had it fixed as to how well their repair is holding up? I'll try to book it in for next week and hope they are successful.

shade
07-05-11, 12:12 AM
Had it fixed maybe 6 months ago. No issues - 2010.
The tech at my dealer replaced all parts related to the TSB...

cbloveday
07-05-11, 12:32 AM
I had the repair done and it leaked worse than before. I think they did not follow the proper sequence tightening the oil pan bolt and cracked the pan.
It did not leak from the same spot. The previous leak was repaired by the TSB. When the LSA was swapped for the LSX, the crack was found.

I think my case was isolated and the dealer was willing to do whatever to make me happy. We never went further than their offer to take it in again as I was changing the engine.

baabootoo
07-05-11, 12:48 AM
Do you still use Mobil 1 or another brand of synthetic?

Wannago
07-05-11, 01:03 AM
Its still under the 4 year maintenance plan, so I've had the dealership do the oil changes, would assume they are using Mobil 1.

I've been treated well at my dealership, so I'll give them a friendly heads up with respect to cbloveday's potential torquing issue in the hopes that if this is in-fact the same issue, they make sure they follow the procedures.

Vrocks
07-05-11, 01:54 PM
Its still under the 4 year maintenance plan, so I've had the dealership do the oil changes, would assume they are using Mobil 1.

I've been treated well at my dealership, so I'll give them a friendly heads up with respect to cbloveday's potential torquing issue in the hopes that if this is in-fact the same issue, they make sure they follow the procedures.
They'll put synthetic oil in, but there's no guarantee it's Mobil 1 - not that Mobil 1 is the best anyway.

thebigjimsho
07-05-11, 06:18 PM
I put my car up on jacks to pull of the wheels, give them a good cleaning, then C-Quartz the inside to hopefully make the brake dust easier to clean.

Today I did the fronts, and noticed that it would appear that my '09 is suffering the porous block problem:

There are no drips or spots on the floor, and my oil level is still right at the top of the stick, even though I am almost ready for a change.

I remember reading that some others who have had the repair done have had it reoccur. Any comments from those who have had it fixed as to how well their repair is holding up? I'll try to book it in for next week and hope they are successful.That's exactly how mine looked. Just had the oil pan gasket replaced. I'll be keeping an eye out to see how it looks over time...

baabootoo
07-05-11, 06:41 PM
I meant that Mobil 1 is no longer the "#1" choice, right? It "finds" porous areas that other oil night not. Basically, it's too good then! :)

M5eater
07-05-11, 07:35 PM
OP where are you putting your stands? The threads I have seen mention using pucks(which I lack) in areas that look like they're not even 1/4" thick.

cbloveday
07-05-11, 07:35 PM
That's exactly how mine looked. Just had the oil pan gasket replaced. I'll be keeping an eye out to see how it looks over time...

If it reappears the next step is have some dye added to your oil. Hopefully it is not needed.

Wannago
07-05-11, 08:17 PM
OP where are you putting your stands? The threads I have seen mention using pucks(which I lack) in areas that look like they're not even 1/4" thick.

I jacked using the locations in the attached diagram, using pieces of wood almost the same size as the grey areas between the jack head and the car. I looked at the areas where the pucks are supposed to go, and as we are a "hockey houesehold", considered using hockey pucks in these areas, but decided the grey areas with a decent sized piece of wood looked more solid.

I placed the jack stands in the yellow circle areas, as they looked fairly substantial. Again, I used wood between the jackstands and the car. Seems like everything held up well.

theamcguy
07-05-11, 08:34 PM
Anybody have the TSB # related to this repair? TIA

cbloveday
07-05-11, 08:45 PM
Anybody have the TSB # related to this repair? TIA

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/217626-rear-main-seal-tsb-05-06-a.html

Trapspeed
07-05-11, 11:43 PM
Mine turned out to be a drain plug gasket but it also didn't look quite like yours. I'll continue to look at mine in the future.

thebigjimsho
07-05-11, 11:56 PM
I jacked using the locations in the attached diagram, using pieces of wood almost the same size as the grey areas between the jack head and the car. I looked at the areas where the pucks are supposed to go, and as we are a "hockey houesehold", considered using hockey pucks in these areas, but decided the grey areas with a decent sized piece of wood looked more solid.

I placed the jack stands in the yellow circle areas, as they looked fairly substantial. Again, I used wood between the jackstands and the car. Seems like everything held up well.

77436Until I get pucks, that's where I jack up too...

Wannago
07-20-11, 03:58 PM
Well, dropped it off at the dealer this morning, got a call shortly thereafter saying that the leak was from the oil pan. I politely advised that some others with the same leak had experienced issues (cracks) if the properly tightening procedure was not followed, so hopefully they do it right and that fixes it. Thanks all for the input.

cbloveday
07-20-11, 04:01 PM
Good luck and hopefully this visit is the end of it for you.

RapidRob
07-20-11, 07:28 PM
Well, dropped it off at the dealer this morning, got a call shortly thereafter saying that the leak was from the oil pan. I politely advised that some others with the same leak had experienced issues (cracks) if the properly tightening procedure was not followed, so hopefully they do it right and that fixes it. Thanks all for the input.

Had the same issue when my sedan was relatively new. Dealer fixed it under warranty but had to use dye to accurately isolate the source/location of the leak. It took a couple of days of driving with the dye to do that. Your situation must have been more obvious for them to find it so quick ... ?

Rob

Wannago
07-20-11, 08:18 PM
Had the same issue when my sedan was relatively new. Dealer fixed it under warranty but had to use dye to accurately isolate the source/location of the leak. It took a couple of days of driving with the dye to do that. Your situation must have been more obvious for them to find it so quick ... ?

Rob

I know what you're saying Rob. When I dropped it off, I mentioned how my oil was at 19% remaining, which was good if they needed to add the dye. When he called and said it was the oil pan, I questioned him about it not being related to the porous block TSB or something else, and he assured me it was the oil pan. At this point, I'll have to give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

cbloveday
07-20-11, 09:03 PM
I too was given dye and asked to put a few hundred miles on it and return for diagnosis.