Jesda
07-04-11, 11:05 PM
http://jesda.com/2011/07/05/blurry-pictures-of-the-2012-camry/

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/wfOUn.png

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/qV8dJ-630x169.png

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/ZD9I7-630x174.png

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/GZyrb-630x184.png

http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/EDmA1-630x193.png

There's a video at the link but the video is useless.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-04-11, 11:38 PM
Well, it looks better, but that's not saying much.

Florian
07-04-11, 11:59 PM
those are very burry

F

gary88
07-05-11, 12:12 AM
Accountants everywhere, rejoice!

Jesda
07-05-11, 12:14 AM
Really Burry

http://www.otrstreet.com/raymond_burr.jpg

ben.gators
07-05-11, 12:18 AM
They have shrunk the size of the car!?

The Raven
07-05-11, 12:34 AM
Wasn't this car supposed to be "more aggressively styled"? It actually looks LESS interesting, to me.

Night Wolf
07-05-11, 12:41 AM
An "aggressive" Toyota?

Best I could think of would be this, and even then it's styling is sorta "just there" and otherwise pales to the rest of the awesomeness...

http://www.dragtimes.com/images/6554-1993-Toyota-Supra.jpg

gdwriter
07-05-11, 01:10 AM
Good lord, it looks like a Corolla. Which looks like a Camry. Which makes Toyota stylists — if you could call them that — utterly clueless.

And yet, there are millions who will happily fork over their money to put a dishwasher in their garage. Pathetic. :helpless:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-05-11, 01:12 AM
Saw a black Supra like that in my neighborhood today. Totally gorgeous.

ryannel2003
07-05-11, 01:45 AM
The last well made Camry was the 4th Gen. As the owner of one of these and my first car, I'm interested to see how this generation will turn out. I liked the current one when it came out but it aged very quickly and the one I drove was absolutely terrible. I actually like the current generation Accord, a design I hated when it first came out. It still drives like a Honda should, whereas the Camry was even more bland in this model than any previous before it... if that's even possible.

ga_etc
07-05-11, 01:53 AM
1992-1996 Camry FTW. /thread
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/1996/toyota/camry/92812081990903-480.jpg
http://www.automobile.com/images/stock-photos/lifestyle_gallery/hash/f/5/4/c84abfe90990e8c26aba744a29ce7dd486bd045f.jpg
http://cdcssl.ibsrv.net/autodata/images/?IMG=C6TOGEC2.JPG&WIDTH=700

Playdrv4me
07-05-11, 02:52 AM
Meet the new Camry, Same as the old Camry.

Playdrv4me
07-05-11, 02:53 AM
1992-1996 Camry FTW. /thread

Close. I think I like Ryan's 4th gen just a tad better in the Camry version, and DEFINITELY in the ES300 version.

Jesda
07-05-11, 03:00 AM
2nd and 3rd gen was higher quality overall.

4th gen looked a lot sharper and cleaner (dare I say, it looked pretty good), but some little things started to reveal their cheapness like the questionable fitment of some plastic switches and the engine sludge and automatic transmission problems.

I'm so bored with this post.

Playdrv4me
07-05-11, 03:09 AM
2nd and 3rd gen was higher quality overall.

4th gen looked a lot sharper and cleaner (dare I say, it looked pretty good), but some little things started to reveal their cheapness like the questionable fitment of some plastic switches and the engine sludge and automatic transmission problems.

I'm so bored with this post.

One weird thing with Toyota and Lexus products from that era is the poor paint formulation they used on the bumpers. I see a lot of them either with sun damage and oxidation, or particularly on the gold and silver cars, the bumper paint has faded into a completely different shade from the body.

Stingroo
07-05-11, 09:38 AM
Every 15+ year old car I see has paint problems. I don't even consider them anymore, it's just a fact of Florida life.

:lol:

Rolex
07-05-11, 11:54 AM
As the styling of it's competitor (the Maxima) gets better with time, the Camry's styling gets more bland. The Maxima looks more like a 4 door sports car for 2011, and the Camry looks like an econo-shit-box. I don't get it! WTF are the designers of these cars thinking? The new and improved Camry looks like every other car to me. I'm underwhelmed.

thebigjimsho
07-05-11, 06:05 PM
Meh.

Stingroo
07-05-11, 06:22 PM
The Maxima sucks now too. CVT, oh joy!

SDCaddyLacky
07-05-11, 07:33 PM
It does look like a corolla! (did it shrink?) The car looks exactly the same, if not worse. Toyota has the absolutely the worst stylist in the whole industry, I can't believe it.

Nissan has done a much better job with it's designs recently, I really like the new Maxima's exterior styling, it looks more like a luxury car than a typical mid sizers. Same as the Hyundai Sonata, very sharp luxurious styling.

But Toyota.....ehhhhh...seriously why would anyone even considers Camry's and Corolla's, when they are much better options out there for buyers?? Not to mention ones that are not so damn tiring to look at.

The quality was at it's best from 92-97.

Night Wolf
07-05-11, 08:27 PM
The Maxima sucks now too. CVT, oh joy!

xMcXd0E62LQ

Lame, yeah... but efficent. I guess the bigger question is, if already an automatic, what's the big deal?

As for all the "who would buy the Camry" I guess it's hard for a lot of folks here to understand that there is a large portion of Americans that simply don't care about cars. They don't care about brand image, any sort of driving dynamics at all, comparing models to see which they prefer, performance or anything else other than what consumer reports says is best. My ex-gf's mom was like that (back in FL). Everything was consumer reports which is why she got an ~'01 Camry several years back, it was used with 60k and paid around $8k for it, didn't even have cruise control. But CR gave it all white bubbles so it was a great score! Also I still hear the whole "It's a Toyota, it'll run forever!" comments from non-enthusiasts.

Quite honeslty most all new cars today, especially in the entry-mid level seem to be equally reliable. I've been really impressed with Hyundai/Kia and each new generation just keeps getting better. The models I've driven, I liked too. Maybe not the best "driver" car, but even in terms of an appliance, it was an appliance that I would enjoy living with every day. When talking these bread and butter sedans, I can't think of a single reason why I'd choose a Camry over an Optima other than perhaps the inflated resale value because "it's a Toyota".

Jesda
07-05-11, 08:37 PM
CVT is less enjoyable than an automatic because there's a constant wheeze rather than a series of noticeable kickdowns. Some CVTs do a good job of simulating a standard automatic, but they aren't the same.

Nissan's CVTs are particularly unreliable. They've extended warranty coverage on transmissions but haven't really remedied the problem. When the warranty ends, expect a $5k-$6k repair bill.

Nissans today are also built like garbage with the exception of a few models.

ltdltc
07-05-11, 09:08 PM
The last well made Camry was the 4th Gen. As the owner of one of these and my first car, I'm interested to see how this generation will turn out. I liked the current one when it came out but it aged very quickly and the one I drove was absolutely terrible. I actually like the current generation Accord, a design I hated when it first came out. It still drives like a Honda should, whereas the Camry was even more bland in this model than any previous before it... if that's even possible.

Yeah my aunt had a 2000, it was pretty sharp. The 4 cylinder moved it adequately and it was reasonably comfortable.

This body style ES is the only Lexus I'd ever consider owning:

http://i.imgur.com/KwmqC.jpg

gdwriter
07-05-11, 09:09 PM
CVT is less enjoyable than an automatic because there's a constant wheeze rather than a series of noticeable kickdowns. Some CVTs do a good job of simulating a standard automatic, but they aren't the same.That's what I found with that horrid Altima rental I had last month. Horrible drone on acceleration, and it felt like an old-style slushbox with crappy response. A good automatic will give you smooth, virtually imperceptible shifts when driven normally and crisp, responsive downshifts when you want to hustle.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-05-11, 09:12 PM
Working part time for the last seven months at a Nissan dealer, I've driven my fair share of CVTs and still don't like them. It's weird that it reaches peak torque and the RPM's stay there, and I miss the shift points. We also are a Kia dealer, and I'd take an Optima over an equally equipped Altima any day of the week.

ryannel2003
07-05-11, 09:32 PM
Never driven a car with CVT, but I have driven a Volkswagen CC with the DSG transmission and I dislike it. Throttle is jumpy as hell and the gears are extremely lumpy. It spoils an otherwise gorgeous car though. As for the Camry, all it ever needed was tires, oil changes, and brakes. It was extremely reliable and well built, other than the paint quality which is terrible and the few rattles in the dash.

Playdrv4me
07-05-11, 09:41 PM
Yeah my aunt had a 2000, it was pretty sharp. The 4 cylinder moved it adequately and it was reasonably comfortable.

This body style ES is the only Lexus I'd ever consider owning:

http://i.imgur.com/KwmqC.jpg

That ES, and the contemporary LS400 and LX470 were the best Lexus products ever produced. It's unfortunate that sludge problems with the V6s marred an otherwise impeccable product line during those years.

ryannel2003
07-05-11, 09:45 PM
I almost bought an '01 ES300 a few years back before I bought the Seville but I figured there was no point since it would still feel like a Camry underneath all that wood and real leather.

thebigjimsho
07-05-11, 11:42 PM
Meh.

brandondeleo
07-06-11, 04:39 AM
So disappointing... I liked the look of the new generation Camrys. This looks like the Corolla. Ew. ...and is it just me, or do I detect a little Mazda 6-esque styling as well?

Lord Cadillac
07-07-11, 12:58 PM
Good lord, it looks like a Corolla. Which looks like a Camry. Which makes Toyota stylists if you could call them that utterly clueless.

And yet, there are millions who will happily fork over their money to put a dishwasher in their garage. Pathetic. :helpless:

As already mentioned, most people don't buy cars for anything other than getting from point A to point B. This is difficult for us to fathom, but we're a very small minority compared to these people. In some ways, I wish I was more like them. I'd rather not care about what I drove. I see always being concerned about what car I own/drive as a sickness I'd rather not have.

That ES, and the contemporary LS400 and LX470 were the best Lexus products ever produced. It's unfortunate that sludge problems with the V6s marred an otherwise impeccable product line during those years.

My wife wanted an LX470 once - but it was so far behind the times a couple of years ago... She kept asking, "Does it have (this or that)?" - and the guy taking us on the test drive kept saying, "No".

Jesda
07-07-11, 01:35 PM
The LX is the kind of vehicle you buy to keep -- forever.

I think it would be kind of silly to just lease one or buy one with the intention of only having it for a few years. Most people won't put 300k on them like my parents, and in the meantime you're missing out on power, space, and features.

gdwriter
07-07-11, 01:55 PM
As already mentioned, most people don't buy cars for anything other than getting from point A to point B. This is difficult for us to fathom, but we're a very small minority compared to these people. In some ways, I wish I was more like them. I'd rather not care about what I drove. I see always being concerned about what car I own/drive as a sickness I'd rather not have.I don't think it's a sickness unless you obsess over it and are constantly trading in search of the elusive ideal — and blowing a lot of money in the process. I tend to keep my cars for years, so it is important that I enjoy driving it.

I think a lot of people have gotten sucked in by Toyota's reputation, which isn't even true anymore. And if they buy new every couple of years, the high resale value (something the Accord also has, but more deservedly so) makes a big difference. I think that's really hurt domestic makes; even though they've brought build quality and reliability up to Toyota/Honda levels — and in some cases surpassed them — an inaccurate perception kills resale value. Then there are people who were burned by the craptastic domestic cars from the 1980s, defected to Toyota and Honda — who were building excellent cars then — and never looked back. Now they buy out of habit or brand loyalty.

GM used to have that kind of brand loyalty until they squandered it in the 70s and 80s. Cadillac used to have a resale value second only to Volkswagen. People used to buy Impalas like they do Camrys today, and the Impala held its value better than any other full-size car (something Chevrolet frequently advertised). Oldsmobile did the same with the Cutlass. Both the Impala and Cutlass leaned toward the conservative side to keep their loyal owners happy, but for the most part, they still had more style than the blandtacular Camry.

My friend who got married recently had a rental Camry for nearly a month in North Carolina, and he hated it. Mark is not a car guy, but he remarked on how it was probably the worst trunk lid he'd ever encountered, poorly fitting, hard to close and tinny sounding. And he thought the interior was very chintzy with all the hard plastic and big panel gaps.

Toyota's owner base is getting older, and I think they're going to have the same problem Cadillac and Buick had with failing to attract younger buyers.

Lord Cadillac
07-07-11, 03:12 PM
People who switched to foreign makes will switch back IF and WHEN domestic companies give them a reason. People didn't switch to foreign vehicles because they were "just as good" as their domestic counterparts. They were better. These people don't have a reason to switch back. GM, Ford and Chrysler are making vehicles about on par with Honda, Toyota and Nissan. People aren't going to switch back until they're given a reason to turn their backs on the companies they buy from now.

I do agree that Toyota needs to start making more exciting vehicles (for their sake) as it's only a matter of time before young people start buying American.

gdwriter
07-07-11, 03:31 PM
I think people are starting to notice the decline in quality and reliability starting with the 5th-generation Camry in 2002 and even more so with the 6th generation in 2007, and that has helped sales of the Fusion and Malibu, which I think are better cars (the Sebring was hopelessly awful). In Oregon at least, I think the Camry's decline really helped Subaru; I see lots of Legacys and Outbacks, and the all-wheel drive is definitely a strong selling point here. It's too bad after a very handsome design launched in 2005 — probably the best looking Subarus ever — they made the current Legacy/Outback look like the fugly Accord.

It'll be interesting to see what Honda does with the next generation of the Accord. I think Honda peaked with the 1998-2002 Accord. The 2003 redesign was a step backwards, especially on the coupe, and the 2008 design is fat, bloated and all-around awful. Honda and Acura styling over the past few years has ranged from fugly (Accord) to absolutely hideous (TL) with each succeeding redesign. Somebody needs to take away their stylist's crayon.

Jesda
07-07-11, 03:53 PM
http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/wpid-camry2-2011-07-7-13-36.jpg
http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/wpid-camry1-2011-07-7-13-36.jpg
http://jesda.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/wpid-camry3-2011-07-7-13-36.jpg

http://www.noticiasautomotivas.com.br/em-primeira-mao-fotos-do-novo-toyota-camry-2012/

gdwriter
07-07-11, 04:42 PM
OMG, seriously?

That is supposed to be "the best Camry ever"? It looks like a warmed-over 2007-2011 Camry. The front and sides are practically identical!

Toyota is really phoning it in now. They must know ignorant people will still buy a shitload of them, so why bother improving it? If GM or Ford put forth this piss-poor effort, they would be rightfully pilloried in the automotive press. I can only hope Consumer Reports hates it, because that's the only way the sheep who line up to buy this car are going to get a much-need wake up call.

orconn
07-07-11, 05:02 PM
People who switched to foreign makes will switch back IF and WHEN domestic companies give them a reason. People didn't switch to foreign vehicles because they were "just as good" as their domestic counterparts. They were better. These people don't have a reason to switch back. GM, Ford and Chrysler are making vehicles about on par with Honda, Toyota and Nissan. People aren't going to switch back until they're given a reason to turn their backs on the companies they buy from now.

I do agree that Toyota needs to start making more exciting vehicles (for their sake) as it's only a matter of time before young people start buying American.

I totally agree! Back in the 1970's I had gone to Jaguar cause they came out with the XJ6. Then came back to Cadillac for the new 1976 Seville! Went back to Jaguar for business cars, and other foreign ,makes for my wife's business cars all throughout the eighties. It wasn't until I tried a 4th generation Seville (bought used for my wife's daily driver) that I returned to American cars; i.e. sold the '02 Mercedes and bought a '95 Seville for my own DD. I can't say I've been tempted to buy anything new for the last 9 years, but may there is hope yet!

JimmyH
07-07-11, 09:49 PM
It holds two golf bags. Whew. I was worried there for a second.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-11, 12:52 AM
Damn, is that ever ugly!

Aron9000
07-08-11, 02:38 AM
I will give the Camry credit, the current gen's 2GR-FE v6 is a damn beast. 270hp, 248lb-ft torque. Its good for mid 14 second quarter miles at 100mph. That is straight up hauling butt for a family car costing $25,000 and it gets good gas mileage. Too bad the rest of the car is a poorly made amorphous blob with an interior inspired by a Sharper Image radio from 1998.

Playdrv4me
07-08-11, 03:59 AM
Boy, that front end looks awfully LS-esque now. Even more-so than the damn ES... Weird. I guess the ES update would come next. The back in-turn is a complete Subaru rip-off.

Playdrv4me
07-08-11, 04:05 AM
My wife wanted an LX470 once - but it was so far behind the times a couple of years ago... She kept asking, "Does it have (this or that)?" - and the guy taking us on the test drive kept saying, "No".

I love techno-wizardry gadgets as much as the next guy, but I have to agree with Jesda on this one. If someone offered me a straight up trade of a mint 2003 LX470 with the same mileage as the '07 'Lade, I would swap in an instant. There is nothing that can compare with that precision feel of high quality construction designed to last for hundreds of thousands of miles. Cars built like that are a declining breed with more and more plastic dominating every possible surface. The Escalade is QUESTIONABLE as to how far it will even make it on its first trans, the LX470, as evidenced by Jesda's parent's car, has now hit 300,000 miles in 7 years with not one damn mechanical break-down... not a single solitary thing outside of a battery, and steering column lock problem. That is an amazing testimony to "old Toyota" build quality, to say nothing of the absolutely timeless design of that generation LX.

thebigjimsho
07-08-11, 08:51 AM
What the hell? Are they driving back and forth to Thailand?

Aron9000
07-08-11, 11:52 AM
^ I actually like that gen of SUV a lot better in the Land Cruiser guise, the headlamps on the Lexus version have always looked kind of fussy to me. Still wish they made a "stripper" version of the Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado(Lexus GX470) for the US market with a diesel engine option. I love both of those trucks, but man they were pricey when new, and still are used.

JimmyH
07-08-11, 04:28 PM
I think boring and simple is what Camry buyers want. Reliable? Check. Easy to drive? Check? Yawn-fest? check. Successful 4-door appliance, check.

Playdrv4me
07-09-11, 06:46 AM
^ I actually like that gen of SUV a lot better in the Land Cruiser guise, the headlamps on the Lexus version have always looked kind of fussy to me. Still wish they made a "stripper" version of the Land Cruiser and Land Cruiser Prado(Lexus GX470) for the US market with a diesel engine option. I love both of those trucks, but man they were pricey when new, and still are used.

Shame we never got the last-gen Nissan Patrol. It was basically the same capability as the Land Cruiser, in a much more basic overall package (though technically global market Land Cruisers are also available in stripper forms). Now we get the new Nissan Patrol as the QX56 (which means it's leaps and bounds ahead of the old one), but it reaches the same price strata as the LX470 and Land Cruiser anyway (to say nothing of the appearance).

Lord Cadillac
07-10-11, 01:58 PM
Kinda faily if you ask me... Click for larger pictures. It looks better but I was expecting more...

The Raven
07-10-11, 04:38 PM
Kinda faily if you ask me... Click for larger pictures. It looks better but I was expecting more...

Looks very cheap from that angle. Very Kia/Hyundai like.

thebigjimsho
07-10-11, 08:02 PM
Looks very cheap from that angle. Very Kia/Hyundai like.Umm, have you actually looked at what Kia/Hyundai has been making lately?

JimmyH
07-10-11, 08:05 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/07/09kia_soul_450_01.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-10-11, 08:19 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/07/09kia_soul_450_01.jpgAs opposed to...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OhimBRQMip4/TI1LseYlNbI/AAAAAAAAAz0/OUfWlCyWUJo/s1600/2006_scion_xb_white.jpg

Stingroo
07-10-11, 08:36 PM
I have a soft spot for the 1st gen XtraBox.

:hide:

Jesda
07-10-11, 09:30 PM
You can go with this
or you can go with that
You can go with this
or you can go with that
You can go with this
or you can go with that

JimmyH
07-10-11, 09:42 PM
As opposed to...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OhimBRQMip4/TI1LseYlNbI/AAAAAAAAAz0/OUfWlCyWUJo/s1600/2006_scion_xb_white.jpg

They are both hideous. Throw the Element and Cube in that pot too and let them simmer.

Stingroo
07-10-11, 10:47 PM
You can go with this
or you can go with that
You can go with this
or you can go with that
You can go with this
or you can go with that

Or you can go with this,
CAUSE THIS IS WHERE IT'S AT.

brandondeleo
07-10-11, 11:42 PM
The Cube especially. I can stand the xB, but the Cube makes me vomit in my mouth.

johnny kannapo
07-10-11, 11:51 PM
As rediculous & stupid as I think these cube cars look, I took a cab ride in one and it was impressively spacious & comfortable riding in the back. I don't recall the brand but is was Jap.

brandondeleo
07-10-11, 11:59 PM
I've only seen one of these horrid cubical cars as a taxi, and it was the Scion xB. (Toyota)

Rodya234
07-11-11, 12:21 AM
or you can go with this,
cause this is where it's at.

Do. Da. Dippity.

Stingroo
07-11-11, 12:39 AM
The xB would make wonderful old people transportation. Spacious and roomy inside, but short and easy entry/exiting.

orconn
07-11-11, 12:57 AM
The xB would make wonderful old people transportation. Spacious and roomy inside, but short and easy entry/exiting.

I'll keep that in mind! Sounds like it also might have some other interesting applications too!

johnny kannapo
07-11-11, 12:57 AM
As rediculous & stupid as I think these cube cars look, I took a cab ride in one and it was impressively spacious & comfortable riding in the back. I don't recall the brand but is was Jap. I now recall it being a Scion, never been in a Scion before.

Aron9000
07-11-11, 02:01 AM
Do. Da. Dippity.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6mS5R60cyJqFA1mQueQoMk2HTm_kdT szCpWy-SRQwKvy50BU

Rodya234
07-11-11, 02:10 AM

Here in Chicago, Pace (the mass transit people) have a service for old people where they'll transport you to places like hospitals. Their only cars are Scion xBs and Dodge Caravans. And occasionally Chevy Uplanders. But no one likes that thing.

Playdrv4me
07-11-11, 02:41 AM
I don't mind those box things for some reason. At least they don't look like poverty-mobiles and they have as much cargo space as many SUVs, if not more.

Stingroo
07-11-11, 08:02 AM
The 1st gen xB (can't speak about the 2nd gen) has more interior volume than an H2.

I just wish they came with something FASTER. 100 horsepower is bullshit.

Lord Cadillac
07-11-11, 12:59 PM
"You can deal with this or you can deal with that"... Just sayin'. :p

JimmyH
07-11-11, 07:42 PM
The 1st gen xB (can't speak about the 2nd gen) has more interior volume than an H2.

That's probably not saying much. I never rode in an H2, but I knew someone with an H3, and it was a like a compact car inside.

Playdrv4me
07-12-11, 01:03 AM
That's probably not saying much. I never rode in an H2, but I knew someone with an H3, and it was a like a compact car inside.

I remember my H2 was pretty cramped inside. Because everything was slabsided, the volume that would normally be in the rounded GMT800 doors was essentially pushed inward toward the cabin, and thus the parts inside the door came inward as well, and reduced interior volume.

That said though, I'd say that much interior volume is still respectable for a van body built on a tiny rollerskate platform. Never had a problem carrying anything in my H2, it was the ingress/egress and load height that was a bitch on that thing.

Aron9000
07-12-11, 03:12 AM
I also dig the 1st gen Xb. I like the seating position as well, very upright and chair like, feels kind of like you're driving a tiny ass bus or UPS truck. The dash design and centered gauge layout was maddening though. I feel like I'd have to put an aftermarket tach and digital speedo(ala a Mini cooper setup) where you could see it under the steering wheel like a normal car.

JimmyH
07-12-11, 10:01 PM
I remember my H2 was pretty cramped inside. Because everything was slabsided, the volume that would normally be in the rounded GMT800 doors was essentially pushed inward toward the cabin, and thus the parts inside the door came inward as well, and reduced interior volume.

That said though, I'd say that much interior volume is still respectable for a van body built on a tiny rollerskate platform. Never had a problem carrying anything in my H2, it was the ingress/egress and load height that was a bitch on that thing.

you had an H2? You and Jesda are like an automotive rotisserie :lol:

Jesda
07-12-11, 10:13 PM
For the record, I declined adoption of the H2.

JimmyH
07-12-11, 10:37 PM
And you unloaded the crossfire on him? That's Jesda 2, Ian 0.

Stingroo
07-12-11, 10:47 PM
Why is there a five page thread on a god damn Camry?

JimmyH
07-12-11, 10:52 PM
^said the man who lusted for the $400k Camry :lol:

Stingroo
07-12-11, 11:34 PM
That Camry was cool. To hell with you, sir.

Jesda
07-12-11, 11:50 PM
And you unloaded the crossfire on him? That's Jesda 2, Ian 0.

That move cost me a few grand out of pocket. Its a draw for now. :|

thebigjimsho
07-13-11, 09:15 AM
Why is there a five page thread on a god damn Camry?Man up and go for 40 or 100ppp...

Lord Cadillac
07-13-11, 12:06 PM
Some of us are automotive enthusiasts in general. Why not? I can find something I like about almost every vehicle..

Why is there a five page thread on a god damn Camry?

orconn
07-13-11, 01:52 PM
^^^ I agree

Jesda
07-13-11, 03:55 PM
The only thing I like about the Camry is its... sales volume?

JimmyH
07-13-11, 04:09 PM
The think I like most about the Camry is that people are buying a reasonable sized car to ferry themselves around in instead of themselves and 100 cubic feet of air.

Jesda
07-13-11, 04:27 PM
We need better urban mass transit to get people who hate driving out of their cars and on to trains.

Leave the motoring to the rest of us.

Stingroo
07-13-11, 07:13 PM
Amen to that, Jesda.

JimmyH
07-13-11, 07:56 PM
We need better urban mass transit to get people who hate driving out of their cars and on to trains.

Leave the motoring to the rest of us.

Chicago has pretty good mass transit. In the city. And they use it. Us suburbanites are sol.

gary88
07-13-11, 11:26 PM
Chicago has pretty good mass transit. In the city. And they use it. Us suburbanites are sol.

The L is good but the cars are horribly outdated, and most of the seats smell of urine.

I don't think we'll see a feasible mass transit system outside of large cities in the US for a long time, if ever.

JimmyH
07-13-11, 11:38 PM
It would take me twice as long to get to work by train, as by car. And that's assuming by car is in rush hour traffic.

Stingroo
07-13-11, 11:42 PM
But like, you know man... trains are all cleaner and junk. And what's a little time out of your day to save mother earth, maaaan?

Pfft. I'll keep my personal automobile.

JimmyH
07-14-11, 12:50 AM
Are you kidding? I would love to ride the train. An hour each way to just sit quietly and think. No traffic. No one cutting me off or riding my ass. With my mobile broadband, it would be heaven. I am just not going to spend 2 hours each way (not to mention the transfer) and then the 1 mile walk to work.

Jesda
07-14-11, 12:56 AM
When I commuted, I actually enjoyed it. It was a nice way to start and end 9 hours of work.

I dont mind mass transit in Portland. Their trains are clean and well-run, but with the nice weather there (except for the rain) its a place I'd prefer to drive with an open top whenever possible.

Rodya234
07-14-11, 01:08 AM
The Metra trains (at least the Rock Island route near my house) in Chicago are awesome. Quiet, Clean, Comfortable, and they look badass! Another interesting fact: The train in the movie "The Source Code" was a Rock Island route train.

gdwriter
07-16-11, 03:21 AM
Jesda's right about the MAX trains in Portland. I've used them a number of times, and only when leaving downtown at the evening rush hour were the trains crowded, and even then it wasn't bad. Once you got a few miles from downtown, it was a lot less crowded. If I lived in Portland and had a commute, I would certainly consider using the light rail at least some of the time.

It also goes right up to the terminal at PDX. I think any urban train system should have a route to the airport. At rush hour, the CTA is a lot faster for getting to O'Hare (not to mention the cab fare; I've done both).

brandondeleo
07-16-11, 03:39 AM
The only rail type vehicles I have ever been on are the train at Knott's Berry Farm and the monorail in downtown Seattle... Lol.