: Gas Guzzler Tax is BS! I got average 19.8 mpg at 65 mph!

smackdownCTSV
07-04-11, 08:39 PM
Just drove on the highway for 45 miles. I did some 55 mph and the rest 75 mph. If I did 55 mph the whole way, I'll bet I'd get in the low 20s easy!

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 09:10 PM
And? Gas guzzler is a complicated formula. But if you think low 20s is going to be enough, you're sorely mistaken. I didn't pay GG on my '04 since it was new and a half year production cycle. But that V would get 25mpg without thinking. 27-28 if you worked it. Some guys have claimed 30mpg with the a/c off and really babying it.

smackdownCTSV
07-04-11, 09:26 PM
Not really.

Gas Guzzler Tax
Unadjusted MPG
city/highway combined)* Tax
At least 22.5 $0
At least 21.5, but less than 22.5 $1,000
At least 20.5, but less than 21.5 $1,300
At least 19.5, but less than 20.5 $1,700
At least 18.5, but less than 19.5 $2,100
At least 17.5, but less than 18.5 $2,600

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 09:33 PM
And? You might hit 20 once in a while. But on the EPA's highway cycle, it's not happening.

smackdownCTSV
07-04-11, 10:00 PM
Explain how I was .2 shy by doing 20 miles @ 65 mph, 10 miles @ 55 mph and 15 miles @ 75 mph then?

smackdownCTSV
07-04-11, 10:51 PM
Huh? Manual is $1300 @ 20 mpg. Auto, mine, was $2600 @ 18 mpg. It's not that complicated.

Ross L
07-04-11, 11:03 PM
Gas Guzzler tax *IS* BS period! Trucks and SUV's are exempt.

mik2718
07-04-11, 11:15 PM
A quote from the EPA's website:

"The Gas Guzzler Tax for each vehicle is based on its combined city and highway fuel economy value. Manufacturers must follow U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) procedures to calculate the tax. The calculation uses a formula that weights fuel economy test results for city and highway driving cycles (the combined value is based on 55% city driving and 45% highway driving). Fuel economy values are calculated before sales begin for the model year. The total amount of the tax is determined later and is based on the total number of gas guzzler vehicles that were sold that year. It is assessed after production has ended for the model year and is paid by the vehicle manufacturer or importer.

EPA and manufacturers use the same test to measure vehicle fuel economy for the Gas Guzzler Tax and for new car fuel economy labels. However, the calculation procedures for tax and label purposes differ, resulting in different fuel economy values. This is because an adjustment factor is applied to the fuel economy test results for purposes of the label, but not for the tax. The adjustment is intended to help account for the differences between “real-world” and laboratory testing conditions."

SRTVIPER03
07-04-11, 11:33 PM
Mines a pig pure and simple. Mostly highway since I got it averaging 15.7 over 3500 miles. Very conservative starts and cruising about 70. No range and have to stop about 3 times per week for fuel. Good thing I love driving it!

baabootoo
07-04-11, 11:46 PM
Just drove on the highway for 45 miles. I did some 55 mph and the rest 75 mph. If I did 55 mph the whole way, I'll bet I'd get in the low 20s easy!

Easy!

smackdownCTSV
07-05-11, 09:14 AM
Easy!

Peasy!

M5eater
07-05-11, 12:30 PM

I'm pretty sure if you look at the measurements, city and hwy ratings are averages of multiple test runs, I bet the EPA also got 20mpg in some conditions but it averaged to be 18-19 Hwy

Domsz06
07-05-11, 01:30 PM
buy used, have someone else pay the tax :thumbsup:

smackdownCTSV
07-05-11, 01:35 PM
Exactly!

Domsz06
07-05-11, 08:40 PM

you really drive at 55? hell I don't do 55 on the city streets lol :D

smackdownCTSV
07-05-11, 10:20 PM
It was a 50 mph zone and I was behind a couple of cars.

ChicagoV
07-05-11, 10:25 PM
My V just guzzled an a**load of gas.

zinner
07-05-11, 11:19 PM
LOL, they guzzle the shit outta some gas. It might be BS, but it's the price you pay to drive around a kick butt 556 HP CTS.

ChicagoV
07-05-11, 11:50 PM
Exactly. I balance it out by riding my bike twice a year.

Cadillacdts01
02-05-12, 11:04 AM
Wow my 2001 dts gets 16mpg avg if im lucky

carterb
02-05-12, 02:08 PM
I'm averaging about 17 average including city, almost 20 on the highway whenever I make a 200 mile round trip on the interstate.
If GM would have included another gear in the trans to get the rpms down to 1800 or so at 75 mpg, we probably wouldn't be paying as much tax.

Just my .02

tedcmiller
02-06-12, 02:47 PM
smackdownCTSV doesn't want to pay the tax. So he calls it BS. Too bad - take the other posters advice, buy used.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
02-06-12, 03:02 PM
You pay to play....

M5eater
02-06-12, 03:08 PM
smackdownCTSV doesn't want to pay the tax. So he calls it BS. Too bad - take the other posters advice, buy used.
Gas guzzler is an antiquated tax that very few cars fall under anymore. Soccer moms with V10 Expeditions any less wasteful? Are hybrids that travel around the world several times to be built any less costly in terms of gas used? Some sports cars, which have no other purpose than to go fast and seat 2 people are exempt too..

If everyone just did as they were told or tried to get around the system, you'd have censorship of the internet right now. Likely including this site.

I suppose your argument then would be 'tough shit' don't use the internet?

WhoseCadillacIsThat
02-06-12, 03:32 PM
It's another double standard that our government 'officials' deem a method to discourage wasteful spending..... The portion that they also didn't take into account is that gas guzzlers are going to pay additional taxes anyhow but it's the fuel.... Our government is loaded with such brain power....no wasteful spending there!

Cub Cadet
02-06-12, 03:45 PM
Drive slower? I have 25k highway miles on my V and have studied rpm's versus mpg. On a 6spd manual, optimum conditions are set cruise at 69mph, and your rpms are at 2000 rpm (or just slightly less). This is the efficient region of the engine apparently and you will see gas mileage in the 21-24mpg range.

**PLEASE NOTE - if tracking mpg on the dash display, make sure that you are using the AVG MPG display and that you RESET it at each fill-up**

Tracking gas mileage by hand calculation will be off from what the computer is calculating. From hand calculation, you have one extra variable... what you consider to be a 'full' gas tank. Is full the first click at the pump? Is 'full' when you get bored and tired from trying to squeak more gas into your tank before overflowing? Etc... This is why the in-car trip computer is the most accurate... as long as you RESET it at each fill-up. Try it like this for a few tanks and you will get a real world feel of how the car is performing.

smackdownCTSV
02-06-12, 03:48 PM

I did. The tax is still BS though.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
02-06-12, 04:24 PM
Drive slower? I have 25k highway miles on my V and have studied rpm's versus mpg. On a 6spd manual, optimum conditions are set cruise at 69mph, and your rpms are at 2000 rpm (or just slightly less). This is the efficient region of the engine apparently and you will see gas mileage in the 21-24mpg range.

**PLEASE NOTE - if tracking mpg on the dash display, make sure that you are using the AVG MPG display and that you RESET it at each fill-up**

Tracking gas mileage by hand calculation will be off from what the computer is calculating. From hand calculation, you have one extra variable... what you consider to be a 'full' gas tank. Is full the first click at the pump? Is 'full' when you get bored and tired from trying to squeak more gas into your tank before overflowing? Etc... This is why the in-car trip computer is the most accurate... as long as you RESET it at each fill-up. Try it like this for a few tanks and you will get a real world feel of how the car is performing.

Been checking the AVG MPG as you explain...13.9...Car is still low mileage and that has got to have an affect on mileage until thoroughly broken in.... Still watching....but still romping too.

Hey smackdownCTSV; you could explain why a newspaper is black and white and there would be 'some' here that would poo poo you... I paid the damn GG tax too and had been looking at a good, low mileage used 'V' - but paid anyhow for the new one. I'm griping too about the difference between the manual and automatic GG tax - TWICE as much for the slushbox? That's just freekin' nuts...

M5eater
02-06-12, 04:26 PM
Been checking the AVG MPG as you explain...13.9...Car is still low mileage and that has got to have an affect on mileage until thoroughly broken in.... Still watching....but still romping too.

Hey smackdownCTSV; you could explain why a newspaper is black and white and there would be 'some' here that would poo poo you... I paid the damn GG tax too and had been looking at a good, low mileage used 'V' - but paid anyhow for the new one. I'm griping too about the difference between the manual and automatic GG tax - TWICE as much for the slushbox? That's just freekin' nuts...
the difference between the low end of the spectrum and the highest is 2mpg. Think about that in a world of 40mpg gas cars.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
02-06-12, 04:41 PM
the difference between the low end of the spectrum and the highest is 2mpg. Think about that in a world of 40mpg gas cars.

I gave a Ford Fusion Hybrid to my wife that I had 'thought' that I wanted....It is a miser on fuel and is loaded with doo dah stuff, but is just too anemic. Paying the GG tax and buying fuel for this 'V' is just paying a way - We should feel obliged to give our government a little more to spend - but we give $2600, they spend $3400 .... but we're keeping the deficit down! Oh Boy!

b4z
02-06-12, 04:49 PM
My wife's Tahoe gets 21mpg at 68 mph. And it's got a much bigger tank than the V.
The prob with the V is not low gas mileage solely, but that it is coupled with a small tank
And the attendant low cruising range. The car needs a 20 gallon tank at a minimum.

WhoseCadillacIsThat
02-06-12, 05:08 PM
My wife's Tahoe gets 21mpg at 68 mph. And it's got a much bigger tank than the V.
The prob with the V is not low gas mileage solely, but that it is coupled with a small tank
And the attendant low cruising range. The car needs a 20 gallon tank at a minimum.

Yeah, 18 gal. for a car like this is sort-of a smack in the face.... or a smack back to reality!

Cub Cadet
02-06-12, 05:21 PM

I think you are looking at the 'Instantaneous MPG' feature at 68 mph. This is not indicative of the gas mileage for a vehicle. I am guessing that you have the 5.3L with the cylinder shutoff feature. I have that as well in a 2010 Chevy 1500 4x4 supercab, with a cap. On the same trip that the V averages between 21-24mpg on, I get a best of 17.2mpg for the tank in the truck.
Things to help with gas mileage are:
1.) using cruise control as often as possible.
2.) keep the rpm's under 2000 at all costs
3.) Do not run the AC or the front defroster if you can avoid it (runs the AC compressor and will lose an easy 1-2 mpg over the life of the tank)
4.) if you have a manual, when coming to a stoplight / stop sign, throw it in neutral and coast in.
5.) if you have a manual, when accelerating, try 1st, 3rd, 6th... works nicely.
6.) if you have an automatic, drive like there is an egg between yor foot and the accelerator.

I guarantee that you follow these simple rules on a tank of gas (also, re-set the gas mpg meter), you will gain a minimum of 2-3 mpg.

M5eater
02-06-12, 05:24 PM
I have managed better fuel economy when using my foot than using the CC. You can compensate for hills and other factors, CC can not.

smackdownCTSV
02-06-12, 06:23 PM

http://gifninja.com/animatedgifs/278322/stewie-say-what.gif

WhoseCadillacIsThat
02-06-12, 07:15 PM
Say What Cartoon Boy? It's just a waste of time...it certainly is....:cookoo:

Cadillacdts01
02-06-12, 07:20 PM
Stop whining if you can afford a V I think you can afford the gas it needs and you get 20mpg I get 16 so dont whine

smackdownCTSV
02-06-12, 07:32 PM
Say What Cartoon Boy? It's just a waste of time...it certainly is....:cookoo:

http://www.gifsforum.com/images/gif/bertstare/grand/31738431-bertstare_.gif

----------

Stop whining if you can afford a V I think you can afford the gas it needs and you get 20mpg I get 16 so dont whine

Problem?

Cub Cadet
02-06-12, 09:57 PM
I have managed better fuel economy when using my foot than using the CC. You can compensate for hills and other factors, CC can not.

Exactly what i thought as well, but I was wrong. On my 6spd manual, I use the cruise, and it obviously never downshifts. It also has way more than enough torque to get itself up any grade (in my drive) without any real effort.
On the other hand, the 2010 Chevy 1500 4x4 with 5.3 and cylinder shut off I thought would be different. I ran the same trip to/from work (76 miles) and did one with cruise, and the other with my foot planted in one spot so that it always maintained the same throttle position (while being careful that the truck didn't downshift). Guess what, cruise control had the better fuel economy over the 76 miles.
So, for those with automatics,use the cruise control whenever you can if you are interested in getting the best fuel economy.

ruby 1
02-07-12, 12:11 AM
6.) if you have an automatic, drive like there is an egg between yor foot and the accelerator.

If I wanted better gas mileage I would not have bought a V!

roarkb
02-07-12, 04:10 AM
I must be getting old and slow as my average has creaped up to about 17 MPG, used to run about 14.5 MPG. I have a 6m with just under 30k miles on the Odometer.

Rockey
02-07-12, 07:18 AM
Exactly what i thought as well, but I was wrong. On my 6spd manual, I use the cruise, and it obviously never downshifts. It also has way more than enough torque to get itself up any grade (in my drive) without any real effort.
On the other hand, the 2010 Chevy 1500 4x4 with 5.3 and cylinder shut off I thought would be different. I ran the same trip to/from work (76 miles) and did one with cruise, and the other with my foot planted in one spot so that it always maintained the same throttle position (while being careful that the truck didn't downshift). Guess what, cruise control had the better fuel economy over the 76 miles.
So, for those with automatics,use the cruise control whenever you can if you are interested in getting the best fuel economy.

Actually, you do want to take cruise control off for hills. You will achieve better gas mileage decelerating going up a hill and accelerating going downhill when compared to maintaining a constant speed through the same scenario.

Cub Cadet
02-07-12, 07:59 AM
Actually, you do want to take cruise control off for hills. You will achieve better gas mileage decelerating going up a hill and accelerating going downhill when compared to maintaining a constant speed through the same scenario.

Common sense would tell you this, and I thought the exact same thing. I tried it out and the cruise control (even with downshifting) was actually much better for mpg. This was over my 76 mile commute... near same weather conditions on each attempt. For an automatic, it is definitley better to just keep it locked in cruise control and let the tranmission do what it thinks is right.

Rockey
02-07-12, 08:29 AM
Common sense would tell you this, and I thought the exact same thing. I tried it out and the cruise control (even with downshifting) was actually much better for mpg. This was over my 76 mile commute... near same weather conditions on each attempt. For an automatic, it is definitley better to just keep it locked in cruise control and let the tranmission do what it thinks is right.

Just as long as everyone understands that your experience differs from countless other personal experiences and studies.

Cub Cadet
02-07-12, 11:04 AM
Understood. My father tried the same thing on a trip to Florida from Ohio and he found that leaving the cruise on was the best way to go.
I understand that none of us bought these cars for gas mileage, but for me on my daily, all highway commute, I try what I can to squeak out the best mileage I can... it has become a game to me. For normal, around town driving, I have fun and don't worry about gas mileage. I ride with people and see others driving in ways that just kill gas mileage. I think that proper driving techniques could save the world quite a bit of gas.

Rockey
02-07-12, 11:23 AM
Thats interesting because I plan to see what I can get going from Ohio to Florida later this month when we head south for the shootout in Palm Beach. I planned to keep the cruise control on until we get to the mountains in Southern Ky. I imagine Tennessee will absolutely wreck everything with the steep mountains. Anyway you can bet that my tires will have every bit of air that they can hold.

JFJr
02-07-12, 12:09 PM
I must be getting old and slow as my average has creaped up to about 17 MPG, used to run about 14.5 MPG. I have a 6m with just under 30k miles on the Odometer.Some of that is because the engine is breaking in. My experience with the LSx family is that it takes 25-30,000 miles for the best mileage. I get about 21 mpg cruising at 2100 rpm in 6th.

Jud

Cub Cadet
02-07-12, 01:00 PM
Thats interesting because I plan to see what I can get going from Ohio to Florida later this month when we head south for the shootout in Palm Beach. I planned to keep the cruise control on until we get to the mountains in Southern Ky. I imagine Tennessee will absolutely wreck everything with the steep mountains. Anyway you can bet that my tires will have every bit of air that they can hold.

What part of Ohio are you starting out at? Also, make sure that you do the following:
1.) Use the "AVG mpg" screen to track what you are doing.
2.) Make sure that you reset that "AVG mpg" screen when you start (by holding down the "check" button.
I guess you could do it one of two ways... you could watch the mpg over the life of the trip, or you could reset the "AVG mpg" meter at each fill-up. I have always reset my "AVG mpg" meter after each fill-up. I use this as a way to track how I am driving and also to notice if there is something wrong with the vehicle.

Rockey
02-07-12, 06:15 PM
We will be heading out of Cincinnati. I'll use both the old fashioned method and the computer mpg. It will be nice to have the ability to check at a glance what my mpg is in case we hit traffic or get to the mountains before a fill up. The hardest part will be for me to drive the V with "blinders on". It seems everyone wants to see how fast the V really is, and I hate to disappoint!

V locity
02-07-12, 08:29 PM
Most taxes are BS...!:banghead:

b4z
03-05-12, 07:31 PM
I think you are looking at the 'Instantaneous MPG' feature at 68 mph. This is not indicative of the gas mileage for a vehicle. I am guessing that you have the 5.3L with the cylinder shutoff feature. I have that as well in a 2010 Chevy 1500 4x4 supercab, with a cap. On the same trip that the V averages between 21-24mpg on, I get a best of 17.2mpg for the tank in the truck.
2.) keep the rpm's under 2000 at all costs
3.) Do not run the AC or the front defroster if you can avoid it (runs the AC compressor and will lose an easy 1-2 mpg over the life of the tank)
4.) if you have a manual, when coming to a stoplight / stop sign, throw it in neutral and coast in.
5.) if you have a manual, when accelerating, try 1st, 3rd, 6th... works nicely.

I guarantee that you follow these simple rules on a tank of gas (also, re-set the gas mpg meter), you will gain a minimum of 2-3 mpg.

Actually what I did was never used the cc. Never accelerated up a hill. And Accomplished this over 240 miles. Our normal mileage at 79mph is 16.6 mpg with cruise. Lots of kickdowns on hills.

Crystal Red CTS-V
03-05-12, 09:14 PM
Cruise is great for mileage on flat surfaces, but will drop it considerably as it forces the engine to burn fuel accelerating up hills to maintain a set speed.

Speedtrapped
03-06-12, 09:56 AM
I woke up..... Hugged a Tree, got in my V, floored it....11.7MPG is my average

SoCal_V
03-12-12, 12:44 AM
I'm getting 14mpg on my first 2 tanks with the car, and that's keeping everything under 4000rpm so far.

Who cares, wife's car gets 40mpg and we'll take that on longer trips when mileage is a concern.

Gotta feed the beast to get 556HP without turbos. Gotta give MBZ credit, they get 550HP out of their P30-package CLS63 and E63 with around 23-24mpg....thanks to turbos.