: Going in for hip replacement surgery on Wednesday

93DevilleUSMC
07-04-11, 08:50 PM
Like the title says, folks, I'm going in for hip replacement surgery on Wednesday, and I'll be in the hospital for a couple of days, probably followed by a significant recovery period. I can't give too many details about how or why this happened, but I'm asking for prayers here and hoping for a successful operation, no complications, and a fast recovery.

Thanks for your support, folks.

greencadillacmatt
07-04-11, 08:56 PM
Yeah, definately best of luck man. For both a quick and neat surgury and for a speedy recovery. :highfive:

orconn
07-04-11, 08:59 PM
Sorry to hear of the necessity of hip replacement surgery, but I that the outcome will be as successful as has been the hip surgery several friends have undergone. I certainly hope you have a speedy recovery from the procedure and are back on your feet as soon as possible! Best of luck!

ben.gators
07-04-11, 09:12 PM
I hope you fast recovery. Best of luck, man.
Also I hope you can have access to internet from the hospital, CF can keep anyone busy and amused for years and years..... :D

dkozloski
07-04-11, 09:24 PM
Bo Jackson had a pretty good career after his surgery. Check with the White Sox for a job.

amunderdog
07-04-11, 09:44 PM
http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii16/Letitialol/getwellsoon.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 10:23 PM
Holy crap, dude! At 24? Yikes, man. Best wishes to you...

Ranger
07-04-11, 10:34 PM
My thoughts exactly. If nothing else, at least at 24 you'll recover quicker than us old farts. Best of luck.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-04-11, 10:38 PM
You're 24 right? Not 74??? Look what owning all these old-fart cars have done to you. :P

J/K. Good luck.

Destroyer
07-05-11, 12:20 AM
Like some of the responses above, it is surprising to hear something like this from a 24 year old. Good luck with the procedure and hopefully you will make a speedy recovery. :)

Night Wolf
07-05-11, 12:35 AM
Sorry to hear about that, I'm surprised at the age too. You're not all that far away, feel free to contact me if ya need any help during the process/recovery.

ga_etc
07-05-11, 01:58 AM
Best wishes man. Call me if you need me. I'll do what I can, even if it's just listen to you cuss.

Playdrv4me
07-05-11, 02:47 AM
Get well soon.

CadillacCastle
07-05-11, 04:45 AM
wow at 24, good luck and prayers sent. It is amazing what doctors can do today.

93DevilleUSMC
07-05-11, 04:54 AM
Guys, a few of your responses made me laugh my ass off, and I need that right now. After I go in, I'll be laid up in the hospital for about three days, so don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a short minute. Rick, I don't have your number anymore, but I'll send you a PM with my number.

As for this happening at my age, I'm surprised too. When the doctor told me about the fractre and the need for surgery, I was somewhere between dumbfounded and pissed. The worst part was finding out that if the VA had done the x-ray earlier, I would only need pins and be fine. As it is, the left hip ball joint's gotta go, and it'll be replaced with an artificial one and a metal sleeve with plastic liner. Now, I've had trouble with the right hip starting at Parris Island in 2006, but that was a stress fracture that they caught in time and got me treated qithout surgery. This one, though, is gonna be worse. The good news is that I'll be back to walking again. Two months on crutches is NOT fun. But I'm in my twenties and generally healthy, so I should be able to bounce back fast.

Thanks for the good wishes.

ben.gators
07-05-11, 06:45 AM
Guys, a few of your responses made me laugh my ass off, and I need that right now. After I go in, I'll be laid up in the hospital for about three days, so don't be surprised if you don't hear from me for a short minute. Rick, I don't have your number anymore, but I'll send you a PM with my number.

As for this happening at my age, I'm surprised too. When the doctor told me about the fractre and the need for surgery, I was somewhere between dumbfounded and pissed. The worst part was finding out that if the VA had done the x-ray earlier, I would only need pins and be fine. As it is, the left hip ball joint's gotta go, and it'll be replaced with an artificial one and a metal sleeve with plastic liner. Now, I've had trouble with the right hip starting at Parris Island in 2006, but that was a stress fracture that they caught in time and got me treated qithout surgery. This one, though, is gonna be worse. The good news is that I'll be back to walking again. Two months on crutches is NOT fun. But I'm in my twenties and generally healthy, so I should be able to bounce back fast.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Hey, dude, look at the bright side! After this operation whenever you speak about your CTS and the mods you have done to your Cadillac, you can proceed to yourself and speak about your own mods and say you have got new improved ball joints for better handling and performance! By the way, don't forget to ask the doc to put poly bushing, not the rubber one! :D

Everything will be OK, keep us updated.... :)

EcSTSatic
07-05-11, 09:12 AM
Here's praying for a healthy and speedy recovery. My sis-in-law has had both done. She is doing much better than before the surgeries.

Rolex
07-05-11, 11:47 AM
I'll be adding you to my prayer list brother. I'm confident that your surgery will go well and you will bounce back quickly because of your age and health. Generally people are very satisfied with hip replacement surgeries. It's a shame you have to do this at your age, but it won't hold you back from anything after you rehab. God bless you and speed your healing.

Jesda
07-05-11, 11:53 AM
Ack, two months on crutches would drive me nuts. This time next year you'll be doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeZsSn0p4KY

Good luck!

Rolex
07-05-11, 11:56 AM
:yeah:

Hopefully WITHOUT the pencil mustache and hairdo. :pwn:

93DevilleUSMC
07-05-11, 12:29 PM
Hey, dude, look at the bright side! After this operation whenever you speak about your CTS and the mods you have done to your Cadillac, you can proceed to yourself and speak about your own mods and say you have got new improved ball joints for better handling and performance! By the way, don't forget to ask the doc to put poly bushing, not the rubber one! :D

Everything will be OK, keep us updated.... :)

I keep telling everyone that I've turned into my Deville; constant suspension issues. lol. -drum hit-

93DevilleUSMC
07-05-11, 12:30 PM
I'll be adding you to my prayer list brother. I'm confident that your surgery will go well and you will bounce back quickly because of your age and health. Generally people are very satisfied with hip replacement surgeries. It's a shame you have to do this at your age, but it won't hold you back from anything after you rehab. God bless you and speed your healing.

One thing that's been a question for me is whether or not I'll be able to handle the police academy after this surgery. What do you think?

93DevilleUSMC
07-05-11, 12:31 PM
ack, two months on crutches would drive me nuts. This time next year you'll be doing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eezssn0p4ky

good luck!

lmao!!

93DevilleUSMC
07-05-11, 12:32 PM

Yeahhhh....if anything, I want my high-and-tight back after this, no `stache.

93DevilleUSMC
07-05-11, 12:34 PM
UPDATE: the surgery department is supposed to call me and schedule me today. I'll let you guys know tonight what time the surgery starts.

Rolex
07-05-11, 12:45 PM
One thing that's been a question for me is whether or not I'll be able to handle the police academy after this surgery. What do you think?

Your doctor should explain your post-operative limitations to you before your surgery. I believe they will limit you on range of motion for awhile, and explain to you that certain angles/motions can dislocate your artificial hip. But I've been told by our orthopedic surgeons that people are generally very satisfied with hip replacements and being able to return to their daily activities. Bo Jackson went back and played professional football and professional baseball after having bilateral hip replacements. His age and strength had a lot to do with his limitations, or lack thereof.

Generally the better your collateral strength is (around the effected joint) the more stable it will be and you'll get more longevity from the joint. I can't imagine it stopping you from becoming LEO. Most people are limited before surgery and regain a lot of function and quality of life after this kind of surgery. Hence the high degree of satisfaction.

eta: one question to ask is: Could you handle the academy without the surgery?

Submariner409
07-05-11, 07:26 PM
Hey, Jarhead.............It will all work out OK. The doctors, nurses, anesthesia tech and OR techs all know what they're doing. Been through two hellish neck surgeries and radical prostate cancer surgery - all well and good. Just like the Marines: "Can Do !" Physical therapy until it hurts...............Look at this as merely a small speed bump in your life.

Rodya234
07-05-11, 07:30 PM
We're all wishing you the best here buddy :highfive: Hope you recover quickly and get back to enjoying the CTS!

OffThaHorseCEO
07-05-11, 07:58 PM

other than the outfits, those are the best parts!

I know it'll all go well mr USMC.

you'll be doing backflips in no time!

orconn
07-05-11, 08:31 PM
The young folks that I have known who have had hip replacement surgery have been, after physical therapy and convalescence, to continue to ride and train horses, ride in competitive cycling races and teach "spinning" classes. I would think there experience as young people who have recovered from hip surgery would bode well for a you being able to make a career in law enforcement.

Best of luck tomorrow!

hueterm
07-05-11, 09:33 PM
Sorry to hear this Josiah, hope all goes well and that you have a quick recovery!

93DevilleUSMC
07-05-11, 11:59 PM
Your doctor should explain your post-operative limitations to you before your surgery. I believe they will limit you on range of motion for awhile, and explain to you that certain angles/motions can dislocate your artificial hip. But I've been told by our orthopedic surgeons that people are generally very satisfied with hip replacements and being able to return to their daily activities. Bo Jackson went back and played professional football and professional baseball after having bilateral hip replacements. His age and strength had a lot to do with his limitations, or lack thereof.

Generally the better your collateral strength is (around the effected joint) the more stable it will be and you'll get more longevity from the joint. I can't imagine it stopping you from becoming LEO. Most people are limited before surgery and regain a lot of function and quality of life after this kind of surgery. Hence the high degree of satisfaction.

eta: one question to ask is: Could you handle the academy without the surgery?

I'll let you know what they say I can and can't do, but I intend to ask that question tomorrow. And I was a bike patrol and exterior campus rover, so I should be able to train up to handle what I've got to handle. If not, criminal justice has plenty of other things I can do.

93DevilleUSMC
07-06-11, 12:09 AM
Hey, Jarhead.............It will all work out OK. The doctors, nurses, anesthesia tech and OR techs all know what they're doing. Been through two hellish neck surgeries and radical prostate cancer surgery - all well and good. Just like the Marines: "Can Do !" Physical therapy until it hurts...............Look at this as merely a small speed bump in your life.

Roger that, boss. I'm looking forward to the surgery and the therapy. Both are gonna hurt, but they'll get me back to walking and doing what I do best. After this, man I'm looking forward to being active again!

93DevilleUSMC
07-06-11, 12:14 AM
The young folks that I have known who have had hip replacement surgery have been, after physical therapy and convalescence, to continue to ride and train horses, ride in competitive cycling races and teach "spinning" classes. I would think there experience as young people who have recovered from hip surgery would bode well for a you being able to make a career in law enforcement.

Best of luck tomorrow!

Funny, my CRJ professor (twenty years as a cop), shattered her whole pelvis on a beam obstacle during Army basic. She was pretty limited in her running, but apparently could pull off enough of it to pass her tests and do her job. It does give me some optimism.

93DevilleUSMC
07-06-11, 12:15 AM
UPDATE: Pre-Op is at 12:30pm EDT, surgery is at 2:30pm EDT.

Tlorenzen
07-06-11, 12:19 AM
Good luck, I wish you the best, Hopfully it will make your life much better after your all healed up.

ben.gators
07-06-11, 12:23 AM
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, my friend.

93DevilleUSMC
07-06-11, 12:29 AM
Good luck, I wish you the best, Hopfully it will make your life much better after your all healed up.

Sorry to hear this Josiah, hope all goes well and that you have a quick recovery!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, my friend.

Thanks, guys.

Ranger
07-06-11, 12:34 AM
I'll bet basic training was tougher. You'll do just fine. I'm outa here for a few day. Heading up to Eagle River Wisc. Will check up on you when I get back. Good luck and report back ASAP. :salute:

93DevilleUSMC
07-06-11, 12:54 AM
I'll bet basic training was tougher. You'll do just fine. I'm outa here for a few day. Heading up to Eagle River Wisc. Will check up on you when I get back. Good luck and report back ASAP. :salute:

I'd bet that you're right. Have fun, sir, and I'll talk to you soon.

ejguillot
07-06-11, 12:59 AM
Hope things went well! Just read this thread. Get well soon.

GizmoQ
07-06-11, 01:02 AM
Wishing you a Speedy recovery.

93DevilleUSMC
07-06-11, 01:03 AM
Hope things went well! Just read this thread. Get well soon.

Surgery starts in 14 hours, but thanks!

ben.gators
07-06-11, 01:03 AM
I keep telling everyone that I've turned into my Deville; constant suspension issues. lol. -drum hit-

oh, almost forgot... Please ask the doctor during the operation while he is down there to go ahead and check any other part for any sign of wear and replace them on spot. Say him after the operation no sloppy ride, loose suspension, clunking or rattling noise is acceptable. You need a complete rear end job and after operation you need to be in tip-top and tight condition! :D Good luck and keep us posted....:)

GizmoQ
07-06-11, 01:18 AM

Jesda
07-06-11, 01:47 AM

93DevilleUSMC
07-06-11, 01:51 AM

Thanks! How's the XLR-V?

77CDV
07-06-11, 02:32 PM
Been off the grid for a couple days and just read this. At your age and in your condition, you'll be back up to speed and terrorizing the state of GA in your CTS in no time! :)

vincentm
07-06-11, 02:43 PM
Like the title says, folks, I'm going in for hip replacement surgery on Wednesday, and I'll be in the hospital for a couple of days, probably followed by a significant recovery period. I can't give too many details about how or why this happened, but I'm asking for prayers here and hoping for a successful operation, no complications, and a fast recovery.

Thanks for your support, folks.

Here's to hoping your new suspension repair, goes well. New strut?

Stingroo
07-06-11, 03:13 PM
Ball joint, already been covered.

Hope all goes well man. Bummer you'll probably have to miss the meet, though. :( We'll be sure to take a lot of pics for you. :D

Submariner409
07-06-11, 03:20 PM
He's rolling down the hall right now - in la-la land, out like a light in 20 minutes, in recovery at 1700. He'll be punching the morphine pickle all night. Probably up in a room at about 0800 tomorrow, on a walker tomorrow PM (that epoxy cures fast). Ouch !! Home on Friday. Lots of Darvocet for the weekend.

GizmoQ
07-06-11, 03:55 PM
Thanks! How's the XLR-V?

It'll be ready whenever you are!

brandondeleo
07-06-11, 03:56 PM
Oohhh... I got stuck in traffic in Seattle behind an XLR-V... I was DROOLING the whole way.

77CDV
07-06-11, 09:18 PM
He's rolling down the hall right now - in la-la land, out like a light in 20 minutes, in recovery at 1700. He'll be punching the morphine pickle all night. Probably up in a room at about 0800 tomorrow, on a walker tomorrow PM (that epoxy cures fast). Ouch !! Home on Friday. Lots of Darvocet for the weekend.

Screw the Darvocet, it got pulled off the market and it sucked anyway. Bring on the Percocet and Norco! :cloud9:

DouglasJRizzo
07-06-11, 09:47 PM
Back in 1989, my dad had both knees done - simultaneously. He always said it was the best move he made.

Stingroo
07-06-11, 10:26 PM
Screw the Darvocet, it got pulled off the market and it sucked anyway. Bring on the Percocet and Norco! :cloud9:

Percocet ew. Acetaminophen-laced for the loss.

Dilaudid drip will put you to sleep and make you high as a kite. :lol:

ejguillot
07-07-11, 12:51 AM
Percocet ew. Acetaminophen-laced for the loss.

Very true. A fentanyl based epidural will leave you feeling damn good after surgery... Not really drowsy and you only notice that surgery was done when you can't sit up in bed without assistance. (having 1/2 your abdominal wall muscles cut and then stitched will do that to you.) Downside: your bowels don't work very well for a couple of days afterward and all the pain returns when the epidural is removed.

77CDV
07-07-11, 03:23 AM

They don't call it hospital heroin for nothing.

brandondeleo
07-07-11, 04:56 AM
After my car accident, they put me on a Dilaudid drip... It was probably the most epic thing ever. Lol. At the time, at least...

93DevilleUSMC
07-08-11, 11:37 PM
Here's to hoping your new suspension repair, goes well. New strut?

Figuratively speaking, yeah.

93DevilleUSMC
07-08-11, 11:45 PM
It'll be ready whenever you are!

I'd love to see it again if you still have it during next year's Chicago meet.

93DevilleUSMC
07-08-11, 11:53 PM
Well, guys, I've been released. Surgery lasted from about 3PM-7PM. They had to replace the whole hip joing because of the extensive damaged the found. I now have a cobalt chrome hip joint..is that considered a "performance upgrade"? Lol. They had me on morphine and percocets for the time I was there, and on some physical and occupational therapy. I'll be recoring at home for two weeks, during which time I can hopefully get back to unassisted walking.

Stingroo
07-08-11, 11:56 PM
Can you say "Cobalt" and "performance" in the same sentence?

I think you just broke some sort of grammar rule....

Glad all went well, friend.

brandondeleo
07-09-11, 12:01 AM
Performance Cobalt... Lol. That's like saying straight Village People. Recover quickly. ;)

Rodya234
07-09-11, 12:10 AM
Can you say "Cobalt" and "performance" in the same sentence?

Mmmm?
http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/96350/2008-Chevrolet-Cobalt-SS-i009.jpg

Well, guys, I've been released. Surgery lasted from about 3PM-7PM. They had to replace the whole hip joing because of the extensive damaged the found. I now have a cobalt chrome hip joint..is that considered a "performance upgrade"? Lol. They had me on morphine and percocets for the time I was there, and on some physical and occupational therapy. I'll be recoring at home for two weeks, during which time I can hopefully get back to unassisted walking.

Glad to see you came out of surgery alright, I hope everything goes smoothly and you're back at 100% soon! :thumbsup:

orconn
07-09-11, 12:29 AM
Great news! Here's hoping everything goes well during your recovery. Thanks for letting us know the good news!

Stingroo
07-09-11, 12:31 AM
Mmmm?
http://www.auto123.com/ArtImages/96350/2008-Chevrolet-Cobalt-SS-i009.jpg

What you just said was "torque steer."

Jesda
07-09-11, 12:42 AM
Cobalt SS is the ultimate sleeper. From afar, people think you're a college freshman or a meth addict. In reality, you just got back from the Nurburgring.

93DevilleUSMC
07-09-11, 12:47 AM
What you just said was "torque steer."

You mean "wrong wheel drive"?

ben.gators
07-09-11, 01:28 AM

Oh, yeah! That's what I am speaking about.LOL.... Happy to hear that everything went good and hope you start unassisted walking asap!

gdwriter
07-09-11, 01:44 AM
Good to hear the surgery went well and you're out of the hospital. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

ga_etc
07-09-11, 03:20 AM
Glad everything went according to plan. And if the CTS gets lonely and lazy, let me know. There's this one road that's really good when it needs some exercise...

Stingroo
07-09-11, 09:32 AM
I agree, Jesda. It's one of the few (very few) FWD cars I would consider owning. lol

But I'd rather have a Solstice or Sky over the Cobalt SS.

brandondeleo
07-09-11, 10:11 AM
Saturn Sky FTW. I love the Solstice and the Sky, but the Sky is way more up my design alley.

93DevilleUSMC
07-09-11, 08:35 PM
I liked the Solstice better myself, but the Sky is a very, very close second.

GizmoQ
07-09-11, 11:51 PM
A blue Saturn Sky tried to take me yesterday. I sat and waited well into the green light but he wouldn't leave till I did, so I went ahead and slowly rolled forward and that's when he punched it. Four seconds later my blue sky was black and way back in my rear view mirror. When I braked to let him catch up, the sore loser immediately turned off onto a side street.

Ranger
07-10-11, 12:33 AM
Glad to hear all went well. :thumbsup:

93DevilleUSMC
07-10-11, 12:48 AM
Glad everything went according to plan. And if the CTS gets lonely and lazy, let me know. There's this one road that's really good when it needs some exercise...

That wouldn't be the road leading up to Fort Mountain, now, would it? ;)

93DevilleUSMC
07-10-11, 12:52 AM
A blue Saturn Sky tried to take me yesterday. I sat and waited well into the green light but he wouldn't leave till I did, so I went ahead and slowly rolled forward and that's when he punched it. Four seconds later my blue sky was black and way back in my rear view mirror. When I braked to let him catch up, the sore loser immediately turned off onto a side street.

I guess some have to learn the hard way why you just don't mess with a supercharged RWD Northstar.

93DevilleUSMC
07-10-11, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys. My appetite is coming back now, and I'm able to move around more with less pain. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress.

ga_etc
07-10-11, 02:29 AM
That wouldn't be the road leading up to Fort Mountain, now, would it? ;)

What makes you think that? lol

93DevilleUSMC
07-10-11, 04:03 AM
What makes you think that? lol

Oh, I don't know, that evil grin you had while you were running through 35mph curves in 3rd doing 65mph? Good times indeed.

ben.gators
07-10-11, 06:28 AM
Oh, I don't know, that evil grin you had while you were running through 35mph curves in 3rd doing 65mph? Good times indeed.

That is called CVRSS! :D

billc83
07-10-11, 10:44 AM
Sorry for being so late to this thread. Glad to hear surgery went well!

Rolex
07-10-11, 06:52 PM
Just checking back in. GLad to hear everything went well!!

thebigjimsho
07-10-11, 08:09 PM
Good to hear your waddling back to recovery!

93DevilleUSMC
07-10-11, 09:00 PM
UPDATE: I'm now taking full steps with half weight bearing on the walker. Yesterday, I was only taking half-steps.

GizmoQ
07-10-11, 09:41 PM
UPDATE: I'm now taking full steps with half weight bearing on the walker. Yesterday, I was only taking half-steps.

Glad you're recovering quickly, but please don't rush it. You'll do more harm than good. Take it easy and get thru the pain first, then work up to it.

93DevilleUSMC
07-10-11, 09:56 PM
Glad you're recovering quickly, but please don't rush it. You'll do more harm than good. Take it easy and get thru the pain first, then work up to it.

So far the pain is staying manageable, but that has a lot to do with the medications I'm on right now. I'm still having pain from the incision, so everything I do has to be done SLOWLY.