: Anyone here up on the HDD section of the radio?

Audioi
07-04-11, 07:40 PM
We have loaded a well known disc (Maroon 5) and it it entered as the date it was recorded. This has happened with more than one disc.
What causes this and how do I correct it??
Any ideas?

sube5186
07-04-11, 11:16 PM
We have loaded a well known disc (Maroon 5) and it it entered as the date it was recorded. This has happened with more than one disc.
What causes this and how do I correct it??
Any ideas?

???????

What do you mean by the phrase "it entered as the date it was recorded"? Are you recording this CD to the HDD?

Sube

TheCaptain
07-05-11, 12:38 AM
Yes, a couple discs of mine have done that. The SRX doesn't recognize some discs, or the copywright protection is so high its not letting any info off of the disc.
The songs just show up as the date of the recording.
(song 1)
7.4.11 - 1
7.4.11 - 1
7.4.11 - 1
(song 2)
7.4.11 - 2
7.4.11 - 2
7.4.11 - 2

Audioi
07-05-11, 07:56 AM
Yea thats it. The disc is over a year old and my Mustang finds it correctly??

sube5186
07-05-11, 09:53 AM
Oh, OK. You're talking about "playing" CDs, not ripping (recording) them. I didn't know people still played CDs. The whole process is somewhat archaic. With a HDD, USB port and AUX input, playing CDs is an antiquated, cumbersome ordeal. You can fit thousands of songs on a thumbdrive and/or your HDD and never have to bother with fumbling with CDs again. Just some food for thought.

If you're trying to rip CDs to the HDD and only the date is showing, try this. Rip them to your home computer first. You can then edit or complete the ID3 tags (artist, album, song, Genre, etc.) to your liking. Then, put them on a thumbdrive. Plug the thumbdrive into the USB port in the SRX. From there you can rip them to the HDD and they'll display the correct info.

Sube

Audioi
07-05-11, 12:24 PM
Not playing only ripping.

sube5186
07-05-11, 03:20 PM
Not playing only ripping.

OK Audioi. You've redeemed yourself. :D

Sube

Audioi
07-05-11, 07:28 PM
Oh, OK. You're talking about "playing" CDs, not ripping (recording) them. I didn't know people still played CDs. The whole process is somewhat archaic. With a HDD, USB port and AUX input, playing CDs is an antiquated, cumbersome ordeal. You can fit thousands of songs on a thumbdrive and/or your HDD and never have to bother with fumbling with CDs again. Just some food for thought.

If you're trying to rip CDs to the HDD and only the date is showing, try this. Rip them to your home computer first. You can then edit or complete the ID3 tags (artist, album, song, Genre, etc.) to your liking. Then, put them on a thumbdrive. Plug the thumbdrive into the USB port in the SRX. From there you can rip them to the HDD and they'll display the correct info.

Sube

OK, I copied a CD to the tumb drive, plugged it into the SRX and it says it cannot read this media, then copied to itunes, then dragged it to thumb drive and it still will not read the media. What am I doing wrong??

mm9351
07-05-11, 08:09 PM
OK, I copied a CD to the tumb drive, plugged it into the SRX and it says it cannot read this media, then copied to itunes, then dragged it to thumb drive and it still will not read the media. What am I doing wrong??

No need to copy the CD to a thumb drive first. Just insert the CD and press "record." Done. Never any issues on my system. You can even listen to other media while copy is in process. What an awesome unit on our SRX's!

sube5186
07-05-11, 09:05 PM

Did you "rip" the CD first? By this I mean did you convert the CD tracks to MP3 format? iTunes, Windows Media Player or any other similar music player will do this for you. Also, did you "format" your thumbdrive first? The File System should be FAT 32.

No need to copy the CD to a thumb drive first. Just insert the CD and press "record." Done.

I was referring to cases where you need to edit the ID3 info. The "record" feature rips CD tracks to the HDD as is. If you need to edit the track info, you have to do that on a computer first. Then you can record those tracks onto the HDD.

Sube

Audioi
07-05-11, 09:56 PM
Just checked the thumb, it is Fat 32 format. Dragged a disc from iTunes to the drive, saw it on the thumb drive on my computer but the car will not recognize it. Tried the same thumb in my 2011 Mustang GT and the songs copied to that car fine. I am thinking the SRX is posessed not liking me?

Remember I have successfully copied three cd's to the srx via cd previously.

Audioi
07-05-11, 10:35 PM
Figured out my problem when using the thumb drive. I save all music bit for bit and the system will not accept it that way. Need to shrink it down to MP3 (lousy quality) to copy to the SRX.
Not what I expected. The Ford system converts it then rips to the system, the caddy will not. Impressed, not really but I guess this is one place that ford shines over GM.

sube5186
07-06-11, 12:29 AM
The HDD and thumbdrive should handle 320 Kbps MP3s. Mine does. It's not FLAC or Ogg Vorbis, but they still sound pretty amazing, especially compared to XM.

Sube

Audioi
07-06-11, 08:07 AM
I agree, 320 is way better than XM.
Thanks for your help!
Mike

Smokin' SRX
07-06-11, 06:45 PM
Hey Sube, we don't allow those kinda words here!! LOL

I'm impressed guys. Thought I was only one who thought XM quality stunk. Considering that MP3 is a compressed format, it ain't all that bad. That Ford Sync sounds awesome.

SS

sube5186
07-06-11, 07:11 PM
Hey Sube, we don't allow those kinda words here!! LOL

I'm impressed guys. Thought I was only one who thought XM quality stunk. Considering that MP3 is a compressed format, it ain't all that bad. That Ford Sync sounds awesome.

SS

Yeah, sometimes I forget how bad XM is. Then, I'll switch to one of the tracks I ripped. It's like somebody just took my speakers out of a burlap bag. Better dynamic range, greater ambience, wider sound stage, deeper tighter low frequency response and brighter highs.

Sube

Smokin' SRX
07-07-11, 09:23 AM
And it sounds better too! LOL

RAB
07-08-11, 06:57 PM
Yeah, sometimes I forget how bad XM is. Then, I'll switch to one of the tracks I ripped. It's like somebody just took my speakers out of a burlap bag. Better dynamic range, greater ambience, wider sound stage, deeper tighter low frequency response and brighter highs.

Sube and everyone.. you haven't experienced your (UYZ or UYS) Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound 10-speaker audio systems at their very best until you've played a DVD-A (DVD-Audio) or DVD-V (DVD-Video live concert featuring 5.1 audio) through your system. The only way to enjoy true 5.1 surround sound on your UYZ and UYS systems is via the optical drive, using an appropriate disc that includes 5.1 audio content. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you give it a try.

Here's a link to a thread I created recently at the 2008+ CTS forum which talks about pretty much everything you need to know about DVD-A's, including some of the best places to buy the discs and how to author/create your own:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/230478-bose-5-1-cabin-surround-sound.html

:cheers:

sube5186
07-08-11, 07:33 PM
RAB, thanks for the link. I'll have to check it out. You're right about the 5.1. I've played some 5.1 DVDs and it was like being at the movie theater. This was the only time I could distinctly hear the two speakers on top of the rear liftgate, separate from the rest. It blew my mind! I was hearing sound effects from all over the car. Pretty amazing!

Sube

Audioi
07-08-11, 07:34 PM
I have tried a few DVD-A discs in the SRX and it probably is the best we can extract from this system. I only wish they would source the components to a higher standard as the amplification section has a generically irritating sound when compared with some of the better systems out there but then again I am comparing to the $5500 Levinson system and some other custom systems I have heard. For what we paid this is a decent system.

Possibly 20+ years in the High End home audio business has me nit picking a little.

sube5186
07-08-11, 07:58 PM
I am comparing to the $5500 Levinson system

Seriously? No Mark Levinson here, but I do have a Goldmund Reference II turntable in the back of mine. :histeric:

Sube

Audioi
07-08-11, 11:29 PM
Oh yea, well take this

the cadillac man
07-09-11, 12:35 AM
holy cow that is a cool sound system setup

sube5186
07-09-11, 08:15 AM
Oh yea, well take this

:worship:

:bows:

:2thumbs:

:mediumbanana:

You the man!!!

RAB
07-09-11, 05:30 PM
Impressive!!
Audioi.. do you actually own that system.. or is it on your wish list? :eyebrow:
I imagine my wife would just love that I'd set up something like that in our living room / great room. Without a doubt I'd be living alone in no time at all.
:hmm: ... hey, wait a minute.. this could be the central part of my new master plan! :histeric:

Audioi
07-11-11, 09:49 AM
System belongs to a friend that just cant stop. Best part is he bought it all from me!