: What's there to do in Michigan?

agp
07-03-11, 04:22 PM
I'm going to grad school at University of Michigan, Ann Arbor this fall, and I was wondering what fun things are there to do in Michigan/around Ann Arbor?

Rodya234
07-03-11, 04:50 PM
Snowmobiling. But I guess you could do that anywhere.

When all else fails, you could always hop on I-94 and come to Chicago :)

orconn
07-03-11, 04:51 PM
If Ann Arbor is anything like Madison, Wisconsin I am sure a young graduate student can find plenty to entertain himself. Where did you go for undergraduate school? What is your area of study?

agp
07-03-11, 04:58 PM
I just got my BA in biology from Rutgers in May. I'll be studying biostat at U-M.

orconn
07-03-11, 05:11 PM
Congratulations on your degree and on your acceptance into a U of Michigan program. You will find the Winters a bit brisker than in New Jersey! While you won't have NYC to fall back on at Ann Arbor I am sure there is plenty to do in the surrounding area. And if you get lonely for the likes of NYC, Chicago isn't that far off. Chicago, in my experience is a very different experience from NYC, but an interesting and fun place to experience none the less. A real eye opener for a "Coastal Type!"

Of course there is always the the graduate and undergraduate female population .... which i am sure equals Wisconsin's for brains and pulchritude. Both schools are major institutions for international students and i am sure those from various parts of the States should make it interesting.

agp
07-03-11, 05:16 PM
Is there anything fun to do in Detroit? I've always wanted to visit there but some friends advised against it - perhaps jokingly, perhaps not.

Jesda
07-03-11, 05:19 PM
http://jesda.com/2011/02/04/spring-break-in-detroit/

ben.gators
07-03-11, 05:28 PM
Let me see:
Graduate student: Checked
Good school: Checked
Relatively hard major: Checked

Conclusion: Don't bother asking about fun things to do in Michigan. You will not have energy or time to do them while you are a graduate student and even if have time and energy, you will not be in the mood (been there, done that)

Here it is: A good hobby for graduate student! :D You can keep yourself amused with this website:
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php

Welcome to the graduate school my friend.... :D

orconn
07-03-11, 05:50 PM
Let me see:
Graduate student: Checked
Good school: Checked
Relatively hard major: Checked

Conclusion: Don't bother asking about fun things to do in Michigan. You will not have energy or time to do them while you are a graduate student and even if have time and energy, you will not be in the mood (been there, done that)

Here it is: A good hobby for graduate student! :D You can keep yourself amused with this website:
http://www.phdcomics.com/comics.php

Welcome to graduate school my friend.... :D

Well said, Ben.gators! When contemplating graduate school they don't tell you that you exist only for the benefit of the university (teaching assistants) and the professors (cheap research and writing labor). That being said, Ben an electrical engineering Phd candidate, did find the Liberal Arts Library and its' free but not inconsiderable benefits! If a E.E. guy can do it so can a Bio-Stat guy!

I will also ad that given the upper Mid-West climate most of the fun things to do are inside!

Jesda
07-03-11, 06:18 PM
Living in Michigan would give you easy access to a lake from almost anywhere in the state. When you get the means, it would be cool to have a boat.

ben.gators
07-03-11, 06:21 PM
LOL for liberal arts..... :D That is true...

By the way, Orconn, did I say you that Hawaii is finally confirmed? I will move to your old school, UH at Manoa, after finishing my PhD here. Then I will need your experiences in Hawaii, specially the ones that relate to Waikiki.... :D

agp
07-03-11, 06:28 PM
That is very true... But I'm leaving NJ for Ann Arbor about 2 weeks before school starts, and I'm looking to have a mini-vacation there before getting all bugged down with school work.

ben.gators
07-03-11, 06:32 PM
I see I see... that is a good idea... BTW,are you taking CTS with yourself or it stays?

orconn
07-03-11, 06:38 PM
LOL for liberal arts..... :D That is true...

By the way, Orconn, did I say you that Hawaii is finally confirmed? I will move to your old school, UH at Manoa, after finishing my PhD here. Then I will need your experiences in Hawaii, specially the ones that relate to Waikiki.... :D

You're on, Ben!

agp
07-03-11, 08:53 PM
CTS is probably going to stay at home... At least for the fall/winter.

orconn
07-03-11, 09:29 PM
Might be a good idea to leave the CTS at home till you get the lay of the land; i.e. as a young grad student you are very vulnerable to the games more senior grad students and professors can play when a bit of jealousy comes into play! Remember you are headed to Volvo and Saab territory, a place where academia prides itself on being underpaid and under appreciated. Fact or fiction, your piers may find a CTS something to be discreetly, even covertly envied.

Jesda
07-03-11, 09:39 PM
Academia has moved on to Subaru. Only brown dudes with receding hairlines drive Saabs anymore.

sup

agp
07-03-11, 10:42 PM
Yea most friends and my parents recommended me against bringing my car there. Besides, the snowy winter will be a pain as well.

Destroyer
07-04-11, 12:08 AM
You could visit Hardcore Pawn? :)

johnny kannapo
07-04-11, 08:48 PM
Take one of the tours

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E6w6WGokjTU