: Computer Help, Please

majax
10-17-04, 03:35 PM
Well it only did this once before like 1 month after I had built it. But it is now randomly shutting off. It is running fine then boop its shut off and then starts back up again. It is not entirely like a restart cause it (except the power light) completely shuts off, but then comes back and starts up. Now its not overheating or anything the CPU is at 96 degrees and the system temp is 98. Is there a loose cable inside maybe to the hard drive or something cause I hit it kinda hard the other day and it caused it to shut off. Or it could be bad connection with the power? Or is it software related?

Or my other theory is the fan is kinda going out and it may be dieing periodicaly and the BIOS shuts the computer off cause the fan died.

Thanks ya'll

Vesicant
10-17-04, 05:22 PM
1. Your Harddrive is either dying (or dead) or loosely connected.

2. It could be overheating

3. Motherboard's pooping out

Im not thinking its the motherboard since it still works fine most the time i guess... but its likely the harddrive or its overheating.

slk230mb
10-17-04, 06:52 PM
If your running windows XP, check to make sure it's not set to automatically reboot if there is a memory dump. Also, check the event manager for anything suspicious.

majax
10-17-04, 08:33 PM
I would jump out the window next to my desk if its the hard drive. Cause the thing is a year old and cost me about $80. I will open her up in a bit and check the conections. The computer is about a year and half old.

I don't think I want to build my own again, maybe.

majax
10-17-04, 09:19 PM
well I just opened her up, the chipset fan is kinda going out it wont come on always and may shut of sometimes which then in turn the bios shuts off the computer, maybe. I will get a new fan.

I added some old ram not to long ago could that be it?

In the mean time I will save word documents every 3 secons haha.

tru504187211
10-17-04, 10:39 PM
I added some old ram not to long ago could that be it?

I doubt its the memory, but its always worth a check. Use a memory checker like memtest86...just make a cd with this and it runs the necessary tests.

majax
10-18-04, 01:01 AM
Well its not the fan cause I could hear it still going when it shut off/Restart.

where can I get memtest86?

I thought of something else could there be a short in the power button. I checked to make sure that it's not supposed to go into lock down every hour or like standby, you know the power save thingies. This is the strangest problem I have ever had.

oh I download the latest windows updates could that have screwed it up those do screw things up sometimes.

or it could be my new BMW screen saver cause that was acting really weird :hmm: but sometimes it shuts off when its not on.

Ralph
10-18-04, 02:33 AM
Could it be something simple like a short in your surge protector? On my old one the light would flicker a bit and cut out on me. However, it's probably the computer like everyone says.

bbozsik
10-18-04, 03:07 AM
My Sony vaio laptop was doing that for about a month, right after I fixed the 1200 dollar motherboard crack!!? :annoyed:

I fixed it by reformatting the drive and reinstalling Windows XP... something had gone wrong with the software in some way. Don't ask me to explain it, but I haven't had the problem since.

tru504187211
10-18-04, 07:12 AM
Memtest86 can be found here http://www.memtest86.com/#download1. you simply burn the image and boot to that cd and it will do the rest!

CadiJeff
10-18-04, 12:28 PM
It could be Win xp but I doubt it, the fact that restarts it when you hit it tells me that, also I doubt that the HD would be taking a crap because in general windows just locks up in that case. My professional opinion would be that the ram you installed is either bad or loose, more likely loose. Most of the other possibilities discussed above would not let the comp restart automatically. Remove the ram you installed and see if the problem continues.

bbozsik
10-18-04, 02:41 PM
Yeah, I missed the part where he hit it and it shut off. Well, then, Majax, I have no idea. I recommend buying a Tandy 1000tx... if I remember right, that computer lasted my family 10 years or so, and it still worked just as good as new... all this new fangled equipment just isn't made like it was before...

:rolleyes:

JimHare
10-18-04, 04:07 PM
You might check and even replace the power supply itself. Most OEM units are crappy, and the PS is the SINGLE most important piece of electrical or electronic equipment in the whole ugly thing. If it wavers just a bit in the power it's delivering, all kinds of spooky things can happen - HD resets, mem errors, etc etc etc..

The PS is a real easy, 5-minute job - just unscrew from the outside, slide it out, slide in the new one, and reconnect the power to the MB and peripherals.

Get a good quality one like Antec or, if you really want the best, PC Power and Cooling.

Antec's can be found at Best Buy and most major chains. Get at least a 400 watt unit.

PS - I've been in the computer business since 1981. Have built somewhere around 150+ units in the last 12 to 14 years.

CadiJeff
10-18-04, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I missed the part where he hit it and it shut off. Well, then, Majax, I have no idea. I recommend buying a Tandy 1000tx... if I remember right, that computer lasted my family 10 years or so, and it still worked just as good as new... all this new fangled equipment just isn't made like it was before...

:rolleyes:
I still have my tandy 1000rsx and it still works just as good as new

majax
10-18-04, 08:09 PM
I don't want a 10 year old Tandy but thanks anyways.

I will replace the power supply. I have gone through two now hahaha of course my current one is used. Then I will get some brand new Ram maybe but for certainly take out the old/new piece.

Thansk so much for the replies.

I wish they built computers like they use to I had a Toshiba that lasted 8-9 years, of course I have not owned a manufactured computer in a while and my last one(HP) was pretty good. I think its just the fact that they know how to make things cheaper now that it causes a little quality loss.