: Bought the Regal two years ago today...still completely satisfied. (long story ahead)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-03-11, 02:05 PM
July 3rd 2009 is the day that I walked out of one of my biggest automotive headaches and into exactly what I needed.

I'm sure many of you remember the trials and tribulations that big beautiful Benz put me through. I absolutely loved the car, yet it was killing me financially and driving me absolutely mad with some of it's bizarre issues. I knew if I ever wanted to get out from my parents basement, that car would have to go, but I loved owning it so much it broke my heart to sell it.

I looked long and hard at replacements. I drove a ton of different stuff. At first, I wanted something new and under a warranty, yet fun to drive, so I looked at brand new Mini Coopers, Honda Civic Si's, Volvo C30s, VW GTi's, and I almost bought a two year old Mazda 3 sedan, then after figuring out I'd be making payments forever on a car that I really didn't love, I decided to look at well treated used stuff. I looked at a GORGEOUS 1996 Fleetwood Brougham, in that beautiful Carmine (medium) Red with the neutral leather interior, it had a low 69k miles and was a car from the deep south so it was rust free. This was a solid 9/10 on a Fleetwood Brougham scale overall, the only way it could have been any better was if it had the trailer tow package and a vinyl roof delete. Anyways, I drove it and loved it, but decided against buying it because without a winter beater, I didn't want to put it through harsh Minnesota winters and have it start rusting away.

I decided on a Regal GS or Grand Prix GTP because they're both fun to drive, great on gas, comfortable and roomy, require little maintenance and can be had for a reasonable price. I looked at a few GTP's, but they never did it for me because I found their seats too firm and a little too flat, and a lot of them had lots of squeaks and rattles in their interior. Too bad because I find the GTP the best looking of the supercharged 3800 cars, you can get it in a coupe form, it has a lot of cool gadgets the other W-Bodies don't and I like it's interior layout the most. Most of the GTP's were higher mileage and not treated as nicely as the GS's were either, and for some odd reason the GTP's commanded the higher prices at the time.

The first GS I drove was the one I ended up buying. When I first drove it, I was impressed with the overall car, but I wanted to keep looking because it didn't have heated seats or a sunroof. I drove a real nice black/grey '03 GS that had those options I wanted, but when I went back to buy it, it was gone. I found a real nice '03 GS Joe Abboud edition in a small town about two hours west of the Twin Cities as well, and I went to buy that one, but they couldn't finance me on it because it had too many miles on it (104k). Anyways, that day was 7/3/09 and on the way back home, I remembered that maroon '00 GS that I first drove, so I swung back in there on the way home saw the GS was still for sale, found the first salesman available and bought it on the spot.

I bought it with 59k miles, got 86k on it now. It's originally from South Carolina, and I'm the third owner of it. I ended up paying a little over blue book value, but because they had a "free oil change for the first year" program with it, and because a good, low mileage, clean GS was so hard to find, I bit the bullet and walked out about two hours later very satisfied.

It's only needed two repairs in the last two years, the left rear window regulator broke, so I had it diagnosed at the dealer I used to work at and upon hearing the replacement would run about $450 I had them disconnect the motor and install a screw so the window wouldn't ever drop. Also, the left front ball joint was loose so I had that fixed. Other than that, nothing has needed repair, just easy & cheap maintenance...oil changes, tire rotations, transmission flushes, etc etc.

It's fast enough to have fun with, it's sleeper body hides an awesome engine. It gets 21mpg around town and 27-28 on the highway, 0-60 in 6.6 seconds. Has very comfortable leather seats, a very good Monsoon stereo system and a detailed trip computer and it never attracts too much attention to it's self. I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon and I plan on driving it well after it's paid off.

Out with the old, in with the new...
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Dominique/IMG_0716.jpg

Getting home for the first time..
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Dominique/100_3378.jpg

With GD's '01 SLS when he came through Minneapolis in '09 for the Chicago meet.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Dominique/IMG_4756.jpg

Money shot.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Dominique/IMG_4707.jpg

DouglasJRizzo
07-03-11, 02:15 PM
Sounds to me like you scored a "good 'un". Well done!

Eldo1953
07-03-11, 02:55 PM
Can't go wrong with the W body!

Jesda
07-03-11, 03:05 PM
Good to hear its doing well! Looking forward to the 100k update next year

Stingroo
07-03-11, 03:27 PM
You call that long?

I present to thee, Night Wolf.

orconn
07-03-11, 03:35 PM
I remember the deliberations and angst that went with your decision to jetison the Benz. I also remember trials and tribulations of your finding a replacement. On paper the Buick Regal GS was an excellent solution to your needs and desires, and I am very glad that your Buick has lived up to its theoretical promise.

While I am very sympathetic to a young man's desire to own a truly desirable automobile, whether it be luxury type or performance car, I am also well experienced in the overall cost of owning and maintaining a car meant for the top 2% of the new car buying public. Sub's admonition of "if you can't afford it new, you can't afford it used" is a good to follow when choosing a car that won't eat you alive.

Having had a Buick Regal LS (with GS suspension and accessory pack) I had came to know the performance and luxury these so-called "premium" cars delivered. They were a great transportation value when they were new at $27,000. (negotiable down) and three years leasing had shown their strengths (reliability, ride and handling, great gas mileage) and their downside, mainly cheap interior components (especially armrest cup holders that failed repeatedly and poor assembly quality). The car we had accumulated 58,000 mile during the three years we had it all with only minor mechanical or cosmetic issues. I would still recommend one of these cars to anyone looking for inexpensive, but still enjoyable driving on a budget.

The Regal has been an asset in achieving your goals of moving out of your parents home and with a little luck (and an upturn in the economy) may well help your on your way to collector car ownership! All in all pretty impressive!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-03-11, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone!

I've not had any troubles with my armrest cupholders, but I've seen lots of examples that have had broken cupholders. I've driven a few 1997+ Park Avenue Ultras and 1997+ Grand Prix GTP's since I've bought the GS and none of them have satisfied me like the GS has.

I don't honestly know what I want to replace it with. I like the LT1 FWB's a lot, and would love to get back into a Cadillac, but they're not something I wanna use during the winter, and their size is very cumbersome at times. I really like the 98-04 Sevilles, but HG and CVRSS issues scare me. The '03 STS is probably the best choice, as it's Magnaride and chances are a lot slimmer about any HG issues. Maybe a G8 GT...who knows...

orconn
07-03-11, 04:48 PM
My experience with the Pontiac Grand Prix GTP's ( a young friend of mine had one that I road in quite often) that aside from the "gee whiz boy racer" styling, the car road very rough and the quality of the interior was quite poor. The interior of my young friend's car was falling apart after only two year's "single guy" use, I wasn't impressed. My experience (and Thad's) would indicate the Regal would be a much better used car choice.

ryannel2003
07-03-11, 04:50 PM
I just celebrated 3 years with my Seville on June 26th; it sure doesn't feel that long though! I'm glad you've been enjoying you're Regal so much. I personally feel the next logical step for you would be the '03 STS. There are still many examples on the market in excellent condition with under 60k miles for $10k or so.

Rodya234
07-03-11, 04:52 PM
My experience (and Thad's) would indicate the Regal would be a much better used car choice.

Chad will now forever be known as Thad.

Glad to see another satisfied GM owner :) I wonder what I'll think about my STS after two years...

Jesda
07-03-11, 05:12 PM
Thaddington A. Rawson III of Weston

orconn
07-03-11, 05:13 PM
Chad will now forever be known as Thad.

Glad to see another satisfied GM owner :) I wonder what I'll think about my STS after two years...

Sorry, about that!

amunderdog
07-03-11, 05:18 PM
Hudson or Rambler FTW :)

thebigjimsho
07-03-11, 06:35 PM
Monsoon stereo, FTW. Well, for factory supplied stuff anyway. But man, do I feel old...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-03-11, 07:14 PM
One of the reasons I like the GS so much is because it's basically a poor man's STS. I thought long & hard about buying an STS before I bought both the S320 and GS, but decided against it because of the headgasket issue, but it seems as though that was mainly worked out by 03, and from what I understand, the Magnaride system is much more reliable (and much tighter) than the CVRSS used in all prior years. Overall, the 98-03 STS is one of my all time favorite modern day Cadillacs. If you can find one with solid headgaskets, they're about as well rounded as they come. I love the FWB for what it is, and it's the much more durable and easy to own Cadillac, but it wouldn't be nearly as fun to drive as an STS, nor as modern inside.

Destroyer
07-04-11, 12:13 AM
Glad to see another satisfied GM owner :) Yeah. I think that brings the total up to what? 3 or so? :) Glad to hear the Buick is serving you well Chad.

gdwriter
07-04-11, 03:39 AM
Glad you're happy with the Buick; I think you made an excellent choice. Loved the performance mode for the transmission, when I nailed it, the downshift was right now. I think after I drove it I said it was a 7/10ths Seville, and I think that's still true.

93DevilleUSMC
07-04-11, 08:45 PM
I'm glad the Regal is treating you well, man. The Deville was racking up repair bill after repair bill near the end, and the CTS was available, generally trouble free, and isn't very needy in terms of maintenance. So far, I've not had any trouble out of it. Hopefully it'll be as dependable to me as your Regal is to you.

On a different note, I'd love to test drive the Regal at a meet sometime.

Jesda
07-04-11, 10:12 PM
Quick video of me driving it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taWswiKUVr0

It left a really good impression on me. Its like three-quarters of a Seville with one quarter of the maintenance expense.

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 10:29 PM
Chad, your Regal is 4 quarters of AWESOME! Don't let these turds try to equate it to percentages of anything.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-04-11, 10:31 PM
Aha! I was looking for that video Jesda! I remember you really liked that car, said it was real fun to drive for a family sedan. You also noted that it was right up there with a Mazda 6 on your "fun to drive midsized sedan" list.

Jesda
07-04-11, 10:33 PM
Chad, your Regal is 4 quarters of AWESOME! Don't let these turds try to equate it to percentages of anything.

You're half-man, half-lagamorph!

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 10:37 PM
You're half-man, half-lagamorph!I'm Greek but I ain't doin' that mythology crap, you Thai chicken...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-04-11, 10:39 PM
Mmmm... thai chicken...

gdwriter
07-04-11, 10:39 PM
I'm Greek but I ain't doin' that mythology crap, you Thai chicken...I'd chime in with some national-origin dig, but then you'd just call me a French dip. :lol:

Well, actually, I'm French-Canadian. I suppose you could call me Canadian bacon.

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 10:48 PM
Froggy.

thebigjimsho
07-04-11, 10:49 PM
No wonder you and Texas didn't get along...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-04-11, 11:36 PM

Let's use the percentages in a good way!

The Regal GS is 12/10ths of a Lumina LTZ. :)

Rodya234
07-04-11, 11:39 PM
^ Those aren't percentages, those are fractions. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-04-11, 11:40 PM
True, but it sounds better than 120% of a LTZ.

Night Wolf
07-05-11, 12:26 AM
Fractions should be reduced, that'd be 6/5ths.

Glad to hear you still like the GS and it's treating you well. It seems like the biggest issues I had with my fathers '99 Grand Prix GTP were addressed with the Regal - absolutely horrid seats (far worse than any vehicle I've owned) and an entire interior that squeeks, rattles and jiggles just by looking at it.

Not bad at all on repairs, that's far better than I can say about my Jeep. Bought with 40k and put 55k miles on it in 2.5yrs but still some of the problems at this age/mileage is redicilous. Not overly expensive (well, most) just stuff that shouldn't have failed nearly as soon as it did, or piss poor engineering designs that graced '05/'06 4.0s. Personally the window not going down on your car would bug me enough to fix.

gary88
07-05-11, 01:20 AM
Fractions should be reduced, that'd be 6/5ths.

Improper fractions should be converted to mixed numbers, therefore it would be 1 1/5 :wes:

Stingroo
07-05-11, 01:47 AM
Improper fractions are easier to work with in math....

Night Wolf
07-05-11, 01:53 AM
I was told there were no such thing as negative numbers in grade school.

Playdrv4me
07-05-11, 03:14 AM
I agree about the power window. I probably would have looked for the parts elsewhere and had an independent mechanic do it.

gdwriter
07-05-11, 03:21 AM
I was told there were no such thing as negative numbers in grade school.Bounce a check, and you'll find just how real negative numbers can be. :lol:

77CDV
07-06-11, 02:46 PM
i is my favorite number.

Stingroo
07-06-11, 02:53 PM
i is my favorite number.

i c wut u did ther.

Lord Cadillac
07-06-11, 03:34 PM
I really can't believe it's been two years already... Holy F.

brandondeleo
07-06-11, 03:35 PM
Speaking of Buick, a friend of mine just bought a 2011 LaCrosse. Buick is no longer the old-mobile. Bad ass car. Especially for a Buick. Lol

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I like the LaCrosse a lot. I think that's what I would get, a leased LaCrosse if I were about to pay off my V...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-06-11, 08:12 PM
One of the finance managers at the dealer I work at is a hotshot 29 year old, the kinda guy that loves to go clubbing at all the hottest bars in downtown Minneapolis and he took an '11 LaCrosse off our used car lot last weekend. He was getting all sorts of attention downtown from everyone, asking about the car and where he got it. He said everyone thought it was a Lexus or BMW, but was surprised to hear it was a Buick.

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 08:14 PM
The LaCrosse is a game changer, no d00t...

ryannel2003
07-06-11, 08:15 PM
LaCrosse could be a serious contender as my next car in a few years granted the Seville holds up that long. My best friend's grandfather just picked up a Red Jewel CXL and it's a seriously gorgeous car.

Rodya234
07-06-11, 09:14 PM
He said everyone thought it was a Lexus or BMW, but was surprised to hear it was a Buick.

Who thought it was a Bimmer? A blind person?

Rodya234
07-06-11, 09:15 PM
Crap. Double posted. Enjoy this clip from Sealab Instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6jw05RTW_I

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 09:16 PM
Who thought it was a Bimmer? A blind person?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-06-11, 09:22 PM
No, I think they were deaf. They couldn't differentiate the Buick's SIDI 3.6L V6 from BMW's twin turbo 4.4L V8.

On a side note, look what I ran into yesterday. It's almost as if the car gods are teasing me.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default 2/2011-07-05_14-59-17_49.jpg

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 10:28 PM
A leather car bra? Who still uses those??

drewsdeville
07-06-11, 10:53 PM
That's a nice Jeep Cherokee.

Destroyer
07-06-11, 11:03 PM
I'm Greek but I ain't doin' that mythology crap, you Thai chicken...Yasou..........malaka. LOL Yup, another Greek in the house.

thebigjimsho
07-06-11, 11:08 PM
Uh-oh.

Rodya234
07-07-11, 12:03 AM
I'd say it's not the Gods teasing you Chad, it's that no one else wants the repair bills on that thing :lol:

Destroyer
07-07-11, 12:16 AM
Uh-oh.LMAO. Yes Jim, I too am Greek. :)

77CDV
07-07-11, 03:31 AM
Don't even think about it, pal. Don't even think about it.

No, I think they were deaf. They couldn't differentiate the Buick's SIDI 3.6L V6 from BMW's twin turbo 4.4L V8.

On a side note, look what I ran into yesterday. It's almost as if the car gods are teasing me.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/Default 2/2011-07-05_14-59-17_49.jpg

Playdrv4me
07-07-11, 04:44 AM
That's a nice Jeep Cherokee.

Grand Cherokee Limited, and a Golf, Jetta, E34 5 Series... and possibly what appears to be a Trooper back there in the red. Maxima off in the distance. :p

Jesda
07-07-11, 05:04 AM
hey theres clouds

Playdrv4me
07-07-11, 05:22 AM
hey theres clouds

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bzccJo6Gf4I/TOzUYm_9g_I/AAAAAAAAAOM/c7igfzNQMTM/s1600/Windows%2B95%2BScreen%2BShot.jpg

brandondeleo
07-07-11, 05:23 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_bzccJo6Gf4I/TOzUYm_9g_I/AAAAAAAAAOM/c7igfzNQMTM/s1600/Windows%2B95%2BScreen%2BShot.jpg I was 3 years old... Lol.

Stingroo
07-07-11, 06:56 AM
Check out that kick ass fence, yo.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-11, 07:08 PM
The repair shop that I saw that S320 at specializes in European cars, so there's always a slew of neat stuff there. There was a decently nice '86 Country Squire over my shoulder as I was taking that picture, and last time I was there, they were working on a 91-93 Deville Touring Sedan.

thebigjimsho
07-08-11, 08:33 AM
Donk.

93DevilleUSMC
07-11-11, 08:45 AM
The Regal is Buick's dependable little machine that just does not quit. ;)