: tail light bulb replacement

moose02
07-03-11, 01:16 PM
I'm stumped trying to get the tail light bulbs out a a 87 allante and it seems the bulbs or sockets won't come out wont turn only the black colored ones. the grey come right out. the one socket I probably broke the bulb seems larger than the hole to come out.

got the sm and it says nothing or gives any hints am I stupid or is it that difficult

moose02
07-06-11, 08:12 AM
well guess i'm stupid the back was melted. so got out my heat gun softened it up till the bulbs came out. then reheated and reshaped so they would go back in

adc
07-06-11, 03:34 PM
I think all will agree that you are just one of the unfortunate, NOT stupid. I'm glad to hear you corrected the problem without too much trouble.

After finding an expensive pair of large, long-handle long-nosed pliers behind the padding in the of trunk of our newly purchased '87 I was suspicious. Now after correcting both taillights on an '87, and for those who have not had their taillights out of the car, I would like to comment on the design. :bigroll:

1. The keys for the outer 2 lamps are 180 degrees out for the inner 2 lamps. :rant2:

2. The outer 2 lamps are canted towards the center of the car about 10 degrees which makes it even more difficult to properly install the lamp socket, somewhat blindly, in the outer holes. Especially on the side where the antennae resides. :rant2: (Note: This was probably designed to make it easier, but if the cant of the socket receptacle is not known, could spell disaster for the unwary.)

Make sure that the sockets are properly installed and tightened. Use a flashlight if necessary in the darker areas of the antennae to get the socket in properly.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-06-11, 04:12 PM
also be 100 percent sure to use the right bulbs. They MUST have copper/brass bases NOT silver bases. This may cause the lenses to melt the way yours did

adc
07-06-11, 06:32 PM
also be 100 percent sure to use the right bulbs. They MUST have copper/brass bases NOT silver bases. This may cause the lenses to melt the way yours did

Concur completely!

I removed 7 silver based lamps & 1 brass. Both of the '87's taillights needed repair. 4 holes were badly melted, & 4 had a start of melting. Also had to replace 2 severely bent & mangled lamp sockets. All were replaced with brass based bulbs.

Note: Replacement lamp sockets from local dealers may fit, but might be smaller in diameter than OEM, and provide a loose fit in the holes. I had tried a couple different manufacturer's sockets before the actual replacement and connection to the OSMs.

Another note: When replacing sockets the 2 base contact wires can be easily removed from a mangled socket and inserted into the new socket. I just crimp-spliced the ground wire.

Regards,
Al