: Crazy rear tire wear??

LSCTS
07-03-11, 11:33 AM
Last night I was at a friends house and we decided to go out for a beer, I left in my car(04 V) and he was behind in his truck. I agressively nailed the gas once and my phone rings, my friend tells me that there is sparks coming out from the tires? I stop the car take a look and the wheels look good with lots of tread, at least on the outside, the inner edge a couple inches on both rear tires are completely worn away and the steel belts are exposed!

My question before I get under it to look for obvious issues should I look at anything in particular? Also are the rear camber adjustable on these cars or is it most likely something worn out? basically can this issue be fixed by an alignment. (other then the tires which are shot) I've replaced the front pinion bushings and other then that the car is never been touched under there. (car has about 48 k on it)

Thanks

darkman
07-03-11, 12:32 PM
Well you start with a good four-wheel alignment. Usually, if there is a defective suspension component the technician will not be able to bring it within the alignment specifications or will not be able to get it to hold the specifiication.

EdmundGTP
07-03-11, 02:30 PM
I'm gonna say the car's probably needed a proper alignment for a few thousand miles now..

thebigjimsho
07-03-11, 07:58 PM
Yep, something is out severely on the alignment or something is done broke.

Aurora40
07-04-11, 12:06 PM
I'd leave 'em like that, it sounds badass! Why mess around with tires that have colored tread, or make colored smoke, if you can have ones that shoot sparks? Sexy as hell!

lollygagger8
07-05-11, 10:43 AM
I'd leave 'em like that, it sounds badass! Why mess around with tires that have colored tread, or make colored smoke, if you can have ones that shoot sparks? Sexy as hell!

:yeah: :lildevil:

AAIIIC
07-05-11, 10:43 AM
Your rear toe is probably AFU. If toe is set properly it takes a lot of negative camber to cause excessive wear. I run -2.2 or so all around and have no uneven tread wear issues.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-06-11, 12:44 AM
Your rear toe is probably AFU. If toe is set properly it takes a lot of negative camber to cause excessive wear. I run -2.2 or so all around and have no uneven tread wear issues.

You suck! :)
They could only get -1.6 up front on my car. I wanted 2.2 to 2.5.

darkman
07-06-11, 07:44 AM
Your rear toe is probably AFU.

Is "AFU" a technical term? I find no mention of it in the Service Manual.

Aurora40
07-06-11, 08:03 AM
Is "AFU" a technical term? I find no mention of it in the Service Manual.

It's an RPO code. When a car was ordered that way, a UAW guy puts your rear suspension together on a Friday afternoon.

AAIIIC
07-06-11, 02:44 PM
It's an RPO code. When a car was ordered that way, a UAW guy puts your rear suspension together on a Friday afternoon.
Well played, sir, well played. :p

POS VETT
07-07-11, 09:19 AM

After smoking pot at lunch in the parking lot ...