: Parts needed

kennyl82
07-03-11, 10:59 AM
1987 Cadillac Allante map light, photo shows what I have.

Also, visors do not stay in positon, can I fix or need to replace?

OffThaHorseCEO
07-04-11, 11:57 AM
Kenny,
How important is the map light assembly and visors to you?

The reason i ask is, unless you throw alot of money into buying visor clutches, you'll never have a good fix. Also, those map light assemblies can get pretty expensive.

What i did was completely remove the visors, including the mounting hardware. I use sunglasses anyway so the visors were more of an unnecessary annoyance since they flopped around everywhere. They never stayed completely up so anytime i had a passenger who wasnt familiar with the car they would get in and smack their head on the visor.

This of course is just my opinion.

kennyl82
07-05-11, 09:44 AM
I appreciate your opinion, I had not looked at it like that.
The visors moving are very annoying, it probably is better to just remove them.

kennyl82
07-10-11, 01:49 PM
I went to remove the visors, but found that their mount is used by the hardtop retaining system.
Is there a way to remove them from their mounting brackets?

rueben44
07-12-11, 12:28 PM
I may be able to help you solve your problem I will let you know by Thursday and it will not cost you much. Vague yes but I have to be until then.

kennyl82
07-22-11, 10:05 AM
I ended up using a binder clip to stop the visor from moving.
Cheap, yes. Elegant, no. But it works!
Will try what I found here next. http://www.neflnewhomes.com/visor/visor.htm

Now I just want to cover up the opening between the visors.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-22-11, 10:19 AM
i can tell you from experience that the fuel line fix:

is a pain in the ass

works for about 30 days then wears out and youre back at square one even more mad because of how much of a pain in the butt is is to implement.

just remove the visors and wear shades when its sunny

OffThaHorseCEO
07-22-11, 10:27 AM
I went to remove the visors, but found that their mount is used by the hardtop retaining system.
Is there a way to remove them from their mounting brackets?

- disconnect the negative battery cable (or be VERY VERY careful)

- open up the sunvisors the way the link you posted shows

- disconnect the two black wires

- snake them out of the visor

- on the black plastic piece that kind of curves, theres a notch, you can stick a screw driver in that notch and it will "open" and allow you to finish removing the wires. make sure those wires dont touch each other or the car if you didnt disconnect the negative battery cable.
i wanted this mod to be reversible so i shrink wrapped the ends of the wires making completely sure they were fully insulated.

- next you remove the hardtop/softtop mount, of course you remove the rubber beauty cover from over it first

- once you have it off, you'll notice a spring and a circular retainer clip, this clip keeps the visor in the mount.

- pull the clip off, making sure you dont lose the spring, remove the visor, then put the clip and spring and visor back together

- bolt the bracket back onto the car, and tuck the two black wires into the header panel.

- repeat for the other side. enjoy driving again.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-22-11, 10:34 AM
Now I just want to cover up the opening between the visors.

my map light assembly is still in good shape so i left it but

ive seen some people but a piece of matching vinyl, take out the map light assembly, and put the vinyl in place

to remove the overhead console

- carefully remove the map light lenses

- remove the two phillips screws holding the assembly

- disconnect the harness

kennyl82
07-25-11, 07:31 PM
@OffThaHorseCEO
Thanks for the info. You saved me a bunch of time / frustration :bonkers:
The binder clip did the job for now, but I will consider trying what you suggested.
Vinyl, good idea!

OffThaHorseCEO
07-26-11, 11:40 AM
Happy to help.

The binder clip is perfect if you have a good memory and ride solo.

for the one month i used the fuel line fix noone ever messed with the visor.

it wore out and i tried the binder clip, and immediately after i installed it my gf tried to flip down the visor and almost broke off the map light assembly ha

a few days later on the way home i did the same thing