Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1990n brougham d'elegance front brake question...

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  highonchai101 
#1 ·
i just added yet another Cadillac to the driveway, a 1990 brougham d'elegamce,80,000 miles, one owner, 307 olds motor .red on red on red the previous owner just had the entire front end rebuilt from the bearings out, so everything is brand new, less then 2 weeks old and less the 150 miles. i had a flat the other day and ran into a problem . after removing the lug nuts,we couldnt get the tire off.we had to beat it around its outside edge to get it off,ruining the wheel in the process. when we went to install the spare,it wouldnt seat properly over the hub. the center hole is a 32nd of a inch too large,we were stuck on the road so our only option was to use the lugs to pull the wheel onto the rotor. i went to purchase a new rotor, but all they had was for non ABS cars, and the bearing diameters are different, as well as the ABS rotor has a tone wheel. they list it as 1990 only , which confuses me because that body style was 90-92.i assume the 90-96 full size with ABS would work fine from any model (caprice impala roadmaster),but i need some conformation before i go blow more money and more time taking it apart to use parts that wont work . ive gotten great help before here, and i give thanks in advance to anyone who can help me...

#3 · (Edited)
neither the hub nor the wheel have any rust on the mounting surfaces,or in the areas im having fitment issues .none of the stock rims i have fit properly.and that is over 10 rims . nor do the adapters i have for my wire wheels .it looks silly with custom wheels on 3 corners. i checked advance auto parts website and they list a different part number for 1991 and 1992.im beating my head into the wall trying to figure it out. i just cant see it being 1990 only.... hell i could livewith a standard non abs rotor if there was some way to make it work...

#5 ·
I know this is late, but next time you can't remove a wheel, here's how to get it loose. Loosen the lug nuts a bit, but leave them on the lugs. Leave only a few mm space between the wheel and the seat of the lug. Drive the car a short distance (like 100 yards) and swerve back and forth. The wheel will release from the hub with a bang. Get the car up in the air, and remove the wheel. You will not damage anything doing this IF you don't drive far with the lug nuts loose. You WILL destroy the wheel lug holes, and the lugs if you keep driving on it.

The early non-ABS rotors work fine. The difference is only in the ABS tone ring, and the actual lugs. The early lugs are imperial, the later ones are metric. My SS had a pair of early rotors on it when I got it. However, you should be able to get the rotor you need at any parts store.

#7 ·
believe me, we tried to back the lugs off a bit and drive on it for a minute, it wouldnt budge.the sledgehammer was a last resort. im not 100% sure but it seemed that the ID of the bearing for the abs rotor is different size than a non ABS car, i was thinking about just swapping a early rotor onto there and disabling the idiot light for the ABS. but im not sure if the spindle itself has a different OD that would prevent the swap from working. theres a million 77-89 rwd lacs in the u pick,but i havent seen not one 90.....

#6 ·
1990 is 1 year only rotors. But it shouldn't make a difference for how the wheels fit unless someone put the wrong rotors on it that are for a completely different car.
1990 is essentially a 89 that just looks different. 91 and 92 got more changes and are more related to the ones upto 96, except for how they look and the LT1.

#8 ·
i was under the assumption that 80-92 were all the same mechanically, with just cosmetic differences . ive worked on Cadillacs for many years,and have owned over 30 of them,this is the first time ive seen a problem like this.hell i used a caprice spindle on my hearse once when nothing else was available, i figured it would be a simple swap across lines ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.