: 1957 Coupe 365 top end rebuild Do I need hardened valve seats?

57coupe
07-03-11, 11:32 AM
I tore down my 365 engine this past week to discover a blown head gasket on the passenger side. The heads will be redone but the issue I'm now presented with is whether I should have hardened valve seats installed. Maybe just the exhaust side? This car is driven on weekends and occasionally as a weekday driver as well.

I'm trying to determine whether the stock seats can handle the rigors of unleaded/alcohol type fuels. Thanks for your comments.

DouglasJRizzo
07-03-11, 02:04 PM
If it were my car, I'd go for the hardened seats all around. It's not a big deal to do and will save you much grief and despair down the road. The biggest bugaboo for older engines today is modern fuel. As I've said elsewhere in this site, modern fuel is just not the same as the fuels were 40 + years ago.

intragration
07-03-11, 11:31 PM
Definitely do hardened seats. The other bugaboo for old cars is lack of zddp in modern oils. Make double-sure the oil you use has enough zddp for your flat tappet cam.

drmenard
07-04-11, 12:09 AM
I would do the hardened seat , but I would also put in new stainless steel valves...If they are not SS now..