: Steering wheel trim and other trim pieces painting piano black

blkEsc
07-02-11, 06:14 PM
I am having all the wood grain and a few other cheesy looking plastic trim pieces on the truck painted piano black and I wanted to know if anyone k owa how to get the wood ring off the steering wheel the right way before I break it and get stuck buying a new one. Lol

Mha
07-02-11, 08:55 PM
In for pics, while yes that would look kool I allso like the wood trim

d_v_o_1
07-03-11, 02:01 AM
I actually just did this last week. Here is the pics the shop put up......still want to do the wheel tho. They said it was hard to get a good paint edge, so I gotta find someone who can fix it. Looks off right now, but just a heads up....it collects dust, streaks and fingerprints like its going out of style! Anyway, hope this helps give you an idea.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150208110275598.312022.174647585597

hannity
07-03-11, 02:57 AM
I actually just did this last week. Here is the pics the shop put up......still want to do the wheel tho. They said it was hard to get a good paint edge, so I gotta find someone who can fix it. Looks off right now, but just a heads up....it collects dust, streaks and fingerprints like its going out of style! Anyway, hope this helps give you an idea.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150208110275598.312022.174647585597
That is a very unique looking escalade, inside and out. Looks great.

bstiffmanofsteel
07-03-11, 04:12 PM
Looks damn good. When someone figures out how to do the steering wheel, let me know!

blkEsc
07-03-11, 06:32 PM
What did you do exactly to your headlights?? They look good and so does the rest of the truck. I plan on taking my headights apart painting the inside black and orange corner painting inside fogs and paining outside of fogs minus the square and doing the wood black and all plastic black pieces painted to match but logic the brushed steel alone. But I'm assuming the steering wheel ring is a pia but how about Ll the center console wood any idea on how that comes off?

darkknight1999
07-03-11, 08:15 PM
I'm just guessing here but I would bet once that steering wheel is put together is not designed to come apart. I would bet the easiest way to paint that little piece of wood trim is just to pull the steering wheel off and mask it all off and paint it. It shouldn't be that big a deal. They have to pull all the other trim pieces out to paint them... shouldn't be that big a deal to pull the steering wheel to paint that as well. ;)

That's what I would do anyway...

blkEsc
07-04-11, 09:01 PM
I'm actually doing everything and I guess it seems I'm gonna fond put by trial and error.hope I don't break it Lol

anabolejelle
08-11-11, 10:07 AM
To remove the trim :
- take your battery off to avoid the airbag from discharging
- push a metal pin in the holes on either side of the steering wheel, there is a spring inside which you have to push. This releases the airbag
- Take the airbag out and disconnect the wires.
- Now you can access the screws holding the trim easily

bstiffmanofsteel
08-11-11, 11:55 AM
You are thinking of the silver trim. Which is good to know, but we are speaking of the wood surrounding the wheel...

79britz
11-20-11, 05:23 PM
The black looks great!

I am in the process of doing the same thing on my white 07 laid, I have removed all of the wood trim pieces and have them ready to go to the body shop but I cannot figure out how to remove that wood ring on the steering wheel.

Britt

richw3533
11-20-11, 09:07 PM
I already did this to all of my dash and surrounding pieces. I am blacking out the full interior in leather, suede, piano black and flat black with accents of the original silver and chrome pieces. Go to the BADCAD thread and there is a couple pictures. When my steering wheel is done I will be posting more photos. Unfortunately according to GM the ring is permanent. You will have to remove ur wheel and paint it or try to do what u can to paint it on. The only thing is that if you don't send it out to be baked, the paint will come off.

79britz
11-20-11, 09:22 PM
I checked out your thread, thats one bad ass Escalade!!!

Did you get the bodyshop to just paint all of your pieces or did you send them away for a coating? What did you do for the center console lids, did you remove the latches, paint, then re-install them again?

Can you post some more pictures?

Britt

richw3533
11-20-11, 11:46 PM
Hey Britt, as soon as my steering wheel is done and a few more interior mods are done, I will post alot more up. I have a friend that works in a dealership paint shop so we have been doing everything to the highest coating, baking (for durability) and polishing for look and quality. As far as the center console lid, I made that myself. The heated and cooled cup holder was the most intensive because it gets touched so much we put 4 coats of paint and 5 coats of clear caused we buffed some back off to get the shine and durability.

hcvone
11-21-11, 08:42 AM
Looks nice, my SL63 has white pearl exterior and white leather and black lacquer interior, so yes I like the look. :)

79britz
11-21-11, 06:11 PM
I really dont want to paint my steering wheel the wood grain still on, its a high wear area and I dont think the paint will look very clean on the edge. Has anyone found or bought a crashed or damaged steering wheel and ripped the wood grain band off to see how it is attached?

There has to be a way!!!

Has anyone taken the wood grain strip off the factory armrest lid? I cant figure out how to get it off.

d_v_o_1
11-21-11, 09:45 PM
Easy fix guys....vinyl. Even use it to cover your trim pieces. Will save you $ and still looks great. Shops wanted $400 to paint the wheel, I just got a long piece of vinyl and did it in 30min.

bstiffmanofsteel
11-21-11, 10:07 PM
Easy fix guys....vinyl. Even use it to cover your trim pieces. Will save you $ and still looks great. Shops wanted $400 to paint the wheel, I just got a long piece of vinyl and did it in 30min.
But you can't tuck it can you? Pics???

luxurylife33
11-22-11, 01:13 PM
You guys are all wasting your time. Buy this kit! problem solved! :cool:

http://www.yocar.com/Cadillac-Escalade-Piano-Black-Dash-Kit-2007-2008-P1027C70.aspx

CHEAP!

MrHolland
11-22-11, 02:00 PM
You guys are all wasting your time. Buy this kit! problem solved! :cool:

http://www.yocar.com/Cadillac-Escalade-Piano-Black-Dash-Kit-2007-2008-P1027C70.aspx

CHEAP!
:alchi:

79britz
11-22-11, 03:22 PM
That is a nice kit but I would like to retain my factory stainless looking pieces, I am only wanting to change out the wood grain.

Since they are doing it there is obviously a way to get that steering wheel ring off.

bstiffmanofsteel
11-22-11, 03:43 PM
That is a nice kit but I would like to retain my factory stainless looking pieces, I am only wanting to change out the wood grain.

Since they are doing it there is obviously a way to get that steering wheel ring off.
I have no doubt that I can take it off. Problem is can it be reattached?

d_v_o_1
11-22-11, 05:06 PM
I think everyone here is thinking this to death. You have really 3 options:

1) remove the wheel and mask off the trim and paint. PLEASE don't try and remove the ring, your wallet will thank you

2) vinyl it which will leave an overlap seam, but you can put the small seam at the bottom. With the wood grain black, and a tinted window it becomes very dark so be warned

3) get a nice furry Ed hardy wheel cover. ;)

I would take pics for you guys of the ring and the wheel inserts but she is stored away for the winter. Sorry!!

Ps - try going to a vinyl shop, I'm sure they would do it for you in 10min and $20. Just a thin piece about 36" in length is all they need.

richw3533
11-28-11, 05:45 PM

79britz
12-01-11, 12:30 PM
Wow that looks great!! Did you just remove the wheel and paint the trim ring in place? I will be re-installing my painted pieces this weekend then I will post some pics

richw3533
12-01-11, 12:53 PM
I removed the entire wheel and had it painted and clear baked on so it will last a long time. With your hands always touching it, I was worried about fading.

hcvone
12-01-11, 02:06 PM
Yea the only problem with the high gloss black like in my Benz is that it shows every spec of dust, not that it's an issue with a convertible. :(