: Bose Amp Load Max?

GDPossehl
07-01-11, 11:20 PM
I just swapped out the Bose sub for a nicer beefier 8" that I've had for years. It's a dual 4ohm.. so that means it's an 8 ohm or a 2 ohm load.

FWIW it's an Elemental Designs e8a... a power hungry 400 rms (realistically capable)

For now I've just hooked it up to the factory amp. Initially I tried 8ohm wiring in series, but the output was barely audible. So I switched to parallel wiring and I'm running at 2 ohms now. It sounds better, but still underpowered. I'm just wondering if the amp can handle that kind of load for an extended period.

Has anyone here cooked an amp with an aftermarket sub?

My future plans are to put in an LOC and a dedicated sub amp. Right now I'm trying to stop the bleeding from a $3500 mod spending wound... in the last month and a half.

kevm14
07-02-11, 11:19 AM
I think the first thing I'd do is check the DC resistance of the Bose sub. I wouldn't be surprised if it was around 2-ohms.

GDPossehl
07-04-11, 11:20 PM
I read further into testing a speakers resistance in that way and discovered that's really not as easy as it sounds. Either way, it's severely underpowered, so I'll be getting a small D class amp and LOC for it.

GDPossehl
07-05-11, 06:39 PM
Ordered one of these today for $100 shipped. Should push the speaker just fine. No LOC required as it has speaker level inputs.

JFensty
07-05-11, 08:40 PM
I hope you have better luck than me. I bought a kicker class d and got a ton of radio interference. Went to a 2 channel and just bridged it. No interference.

GDPossehl
07-06-11, 09:09 AM
Where was it mounted? What ground location did you use?

With this dual 4 ohm VC setup I'm almost limited to class D amps. I can either have a 2 ohm or 8 ohm load on the amp and 2 channels bridged are typically only stable 4 to ohms. I've only seen one amp that was stable bridged to 2 ohms, and I didn't really care to pay $500 for it.

JFensty
07-06-11, 06:57 PM
The sub is an old Sony explod 12" that I mounted in a box. I moved the amp all over the truck. Some stations were better than others but still had static. Went with a Polk amp. I believe the sub is a single voice coil at 4 ohms. I have to check. Its been a. Several months since the install. I can get specs of sub and amp if you need them.