: Northstar won't start

bvp4934
10-17-04, 01:34 PM
Yesterday, my Northstar, without any prior warning, would not start. Nothing worked: no dash lights, no key remote contact, no click when turning switch, nothing. A friend cleaned battery posts, nothing happened. They jumped the car off and I drove home. When I turned the switch off, it would not crank again. Today, all lights come on and there is a rapid click when I turn the switch. I have several diagnostic codes, some history, some not and some probably a result of disconnecting the battery. Is this the battery, alternator, electrical, or what??

JimD
10-17-04, 03:28 PM
From this distance it looks like a deceased battery. Have it load tested at a parts retailer.

Cleaning the battery posts and cable terminals is always a good idea; just be sure to check for corrosion hidden under the cable insulation.

bvp4934
10-17-04, 06:15 PM
JimD:
Thank you. I will follow your advice. I am an elderly female and have not known anything about repairs, but I read many inquiries here and have learned a lot. Thanks to you and all the Cadillac supporters.

foo
10-18-04, 01:51 AM
I agree, sounds like battery is going out.. I would replace the battery. It isn't very costly. Less than $100 is in my 'not very costly repair' list :>