: broken windshield

ThumperPup
07-01-11, 12:54 PM
i was wondering is there anything that i can use to stop a already 4 inch long crack from spreading even more ?
not looking for a fix just a stand still so to speak for the crack something that might work for a month
i just got this windshield like 6 weeks ago
and im not in the market to spend close to 300 dollars again for one and even with the 100 dollar deductable if i chose to claim it on my Comp im still waiting till August to do it
so wondering if there is anything i can do to keep it from spreading even more

some stone must of hit up on the window during the drive to North Carolina last night
darn

also for wen i do get a new window again is there anyting that can be put on it like a clear braw maybe or a film for the outside that is not tinted that is clear that would keep it from cracking ?

johnny kannapo
07-01-11, 06:10 PM
Nope.

vincentm
07-01-11, 10:24 PM
Nope.

^ that

ThumperPup
07-01-11, 11:23 PM
darn crack or crap lol
when i get the window replaced next time i know there must be lots of companys out there that make them but hwo can i tell if they put a good qulity glass in or a crappy qulity and maybe this is why it cracked
i have drivne for 17 years and only 1 window ever broke from a stone or peblle hitting and it was this time
the other time it was a stress crack that was already there when i bought the car
but this time was the first time and i can't belive it im thinking maybe they put a crappy glass in there or something
its from canada i know i see that printed or filmed on the window in the corner

Playdrv4me
07-02-11, 01:24 AM
i was wondering is there anything that i can use to stop a already 4 inch long crack from spreading even more ?

A new windshield.

dkozloski
07-02-11, 01:35 AM
Go to Novus windshield repair. They can handle some pretty long cracks. They stop drill the end of the crack with a diamond drill and then fill the crack with resin using a vacuum box.

ryannel2003
07-02-11, 01:57 AM
My windshield was only 2 years old when it started cracking... all from a year old rock chip that I didn't get filled with resin. One day while washing the car it started spreading and got worse until it was nearly down the whole windshield. I did get a great deal on my replacement windshield so I'm not too upset.

johnny kannapo
07-02-11, 03:16 AM
Glass coverage is $10 a year. A no brainer. Don't even need to report it. Just call a glass outfit and they come & take care of the rest.

CadillacCastle
07-02-11, 08:52 AM
Where do you buy $10.00 glass coverage?

Ranger
07-02-11, 10:32 AM
From whoever you have car insurance with.

Submariner409
07-02-11, 10:41 AM
A VERY significant percentage of windshields for American cars, both OEM and replacement, are made in Canada. I think one of the brand names is PPG (Pittsburgh Plate Glass). It's the Chinese stuff you worry about.

ThumperPup
07-02-11, 10:58 AM
Where do you buy $10.00 glass coverage?

different state have seprate requirments that insruance companys must cover just glass alone on a different policy or coverage depending on where you are
MN is one of those states i think FL is another ut not sure
don't know what other states they are but i know ohio for sure does not
so im SOL

not usre where you are but call your ISNurance company and ask

C&C
07-02-11, 03:28 PM
Yeah, check with your insurance company. In S.C., if you have comprehesive insurance, all glass repair is covered by insurance. If the 'starburst' is not in the driver's field of vision, most likely they will patch with resin, if it impeads your vision, replacement is authorized. (Just got my Bravada's windfield fixed, no cost to me other than comprehensive, due to rock chip right in field of view.) Mine too was from Canada; brand name: Pilkington

johnny kannapo
07-02-11, 05:40 PM
Allstate.

Submariner409
07-02-11, 05:56 PM
State Farm. 3 windshields in 5 years - 2 trucks and a car - never cost a cent (out of pocket or premiums).

ThumperPup
07-02-11, 11:40 PM
Yeah, check with your insurance company. In S.C., if you have comprehesive insurance, all glass repair is covered by insurance. If the 'starburst' is not in the driver's field of vision, most likely they will patch with resin, if it impeads your vision, replacement is authorized. (Just got my Bravada's windfield fixed, no cost to me other than comprehensive, due to rock chip right in field of view.) Mine too was from Canada; brand name: Pilkington

pilkington is the same brand i have
mine is covered under comp with 100 deductable but just dont want to spend it now
and i stoped at a glas place today they said no way the isnurance would have them fix it crack is to big and bad to be filled
asked them about dimond dirling it to keep it form spreading more they said no

ThumperPup
07-02-11, 11:41 PM
in Ohio the insruance wont cover just glass policy it has to be under your Comp and it is what ever your deductable is wich sucks

brandondeleo
07-03-11, 02:32 AM
Same here. State Farm comprehensive includes full glass coverage, only costs me about 5 bucks a month extra.

Ranger
07-03-11, 09:15 PM
asked them about dimond dirling it to keep it form spreading more they said no
That does not surprise me one bit.

BTW, it's called "stop drilling".

ThumperPup
07-03-11, 11:49 PM
ah ok cool thanks stop drilling got it

cadillac kevin
07-03-11, 11:55 PM
just pay the $100. thats like a penny for you right?

00 Deville
07-04-11, 09:27 AM
just pay the $100. thats like a penny for you right?

Kevin's got a good point.... You have about $30K "invested" in it... what's another $100?

MeTaK
09-06-11, 02:30 AM
harmon glass in my area claims if you can cover the crack wit a dollar bill, that they can fix it..? don't know, i've only had them fill in small chips, so maybe at least ask a repair place..?

good luck,

Rod