: Service stability system notification . . .

siggyfreud
07-01-11, 01:03 PM
Hey all,

A few days ago I was driving from work to my GF's house. Pretty typical mix of traffic/highway. It's nice weather out so I'm driving in Comp mode just in case I find an open spot to have fun. It's more optimism than anything else, as I drive that same route all the time and there is never a place to have fun lol.

Anyways, with comp mode on I'm sitting at a stop light. My service stability system notification kicks on the screen. I acknowledge it. At that point, my T/C light is still on, as I was in comp mode. I turn TC back on, then try and go back into comp mode but it won't let me. It's either on, or off. I drive to her house, park it for the night.

The next day it drives perfectly normal. No service stability message, no TC lights, works in comp mode, etc. Everything seems fine.

A day later (this AM) I was driving home going down the highway at about 60mph with the cruise set. I feel a loss of power, or almost felt like a light tap of the brakes and the the stability system engaged message appears. No T/C or ABS lights or anything. I didn't hit a big bump or anything, the road was smooth.

I press the TC button to kick the light on and disable everything. Or at least that's how I believe I disable everything.

Regardless, about 5 minutes later I'm still cruising, T/C off, cruise control on, but not engaged (power button on, don't have it set to maintain any certain speed). I feel another tug, and the stability system engaged light comes on. The tugs are very brief, like a quick light tap on the brakes. But it's unnerving to say the least.

From the posts I've read, common culprits seem to be the Steering wheel position sensor, the yaw position sensor, or the wheel speed sensors. Anyone have experience to say that one or the other seems to be the usual suspect? There was a guy on this forum that described almost my very problem, and for him it ended up being the SWPS. I'm almost tempted to change that before going to the dealer and paying 90 bucks for a diagnosis.

Any thoughts? Sorry for the wall of text

heavymetals
07-01-11, 01:48 PM
The SWPS can be checked by TECH II.

You watch the #'s change while turning the steering wheel then bang on the steering wheel or shaft and see if the #'s jump around.

On my car it was the YAW sensor.

More expensive part, but a lot easier to replace.

JDB
07-01-11, 03:51 PM
For me, it was the steering wheel position sensor, which I understand is common. Watching the tech crawl upside down under the dash a few times, glad I wasn't doing it. Yah, CPO! That fun is almost over :( time to start wrenching...other than mods, fluids/filter changes, and wheel swaps.

FWIW, I did not feel any changes, just the message...once. and the settings were able to be chosen. IIRC, I was in normal mode with nanny features on. Thought it was odd that it only popped up one time, but it was the code was stored and could be found. Don't recall the code, sorry.

shadybx7
07-01-11, 04:23 PM
check the JCC write up in the DIY section..

For me its either the entire Stability comp or rear wheel sensors.. If i go over speed bump or something similar, the whole system shuts down and i lose ABS and TC.. its not really that bad driving without them. i just stay conservative and had never had a scary moment dry or wet.

siggyfreud
07-01-11, 09:03 PM
It wouldn't be that big of deal, except it was even activating itself when the system was supposed to be off. I hit the button to turn it off, the light came on supposedly indicating the system was off, and it still applied the brakes for a split second randomly while driving.

Guess I'll take it in to someone with a TechII to read it. F . . . I hate taking a car to a mechanic/dealer. So used to just doing it all myself :(.

RADEoN
07-01-11, 09:06 PM
mine was a broken wire on the drivers side rear wheel bearing D:

siggyfreud
07-02-11, 02:41 AM
What did your symptoms include?

AAIIIC
07-02-11, 12:34 PM
It wouldn't be that big of deal, except it was even activating itself when the system was supposed to be off. I hit the button to turn it off, the light came on supposedly indicating the system was off, and it still applied the brakes for a split second randomly while driving.
Turning off Traction Control doesn't do anything to Stability Control or ABS. Other than pulling a fuse, there's nothing that will turn off ABS, even in Stability System Off mode.

With an intermittent fault like you're experiencing there's really no way for us to give you an answer. Any of the sensors you mentioned intermittently sending an bad signal could cause the system to react as you're describing.

I suppose one test you could do the next time the warning pops up on the screen is go into an empty section of parking lot or open stretch of road and see if you can lock up the brakes. If the ABS still works, it's probably not a wheel sensor. (I would test a number of times since it's apparently an intermittent fault.) If the ABS does not work, well, there you go. You'd still have to have the dealer figure out which corner it is, though.

siggyfreud
07-02-11, 02:07 PM
I'm curious though if anyone has had it be a wheel sensor but not throw any ABS lights.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
07-06-11, 01:40 AM
It doesn't sound like you actually turned the stability system all the way off. As mentioned, you hold down the TC button until the message actually comes up on the screen showing stability control off. I used to have issues just as you're describing. I ended up having a bad rack and broken subframe where it mounts up. Since replacing both I haven't had any issues (knock on wood).

Actually, I take that back. On the track I get the service stability system message after a while. Not to thread jack, but anybody think that may be from having cutouts?

Heavybody
07-06-11, 11:49 PM
I am having the exact same problem with stability control... I think its the SWPS but haven't had it check yet.

My Cheap fix has been Press and hold the Traction control button until it displays Stability control off.

That is the only way i can drive the car at the moment the stability control is very unhappy and activates all the time if its on... service stability control comes on occasionally even when it is disabled.

ELES6CTS
09-27-11, 03:04 AM
Anyone know why the stability system wouldn't turn off even if you hold the TC button for a long time.

JDB
09-30-11, 08:40 PM
Anyone know why the stability system wouldn't turn off even if you hold the TC button for a long time.

Tire Pressure Monitor System working?

UnsafeAtAnySpd
09-30-11, 10:37 PM
^Most likely that. If one reads zero then it won't work. If all aren't reading, it will work. It's really annoying, because from my garage my car picks up one of the old TPMS sensors (I don't have any in the wheels currently), reads zero and thus doesn't allow me to turn off the stability control unless I drive away from home for 40 miles. What really sucks is that I can't remember where in my house I put those sensors.

ELES6CTS
10-06-11, 12:04 PM
All the TPMS seem to be working fine. I do have a second question. If I'm getting the Service Stability System and the violent instantaneous braking, will turning the system off correct the issue? Or will I still get that braking on occasion. I have a feeling it's the SWPS, but I'd rather just shut it off.

piinc21
08-24-13, 03:22 AM
I have an 06 escalade ext. right rear sensor does read on dash. I'm getting a service stability notice and the t/c light is on. no other lights or problems. any ideas?

Cadillac Cust Svc
08-24-13, 06:56 PM
I have an 06 escalade ext. right rear sensor does read on dash. I'm getting a service stability notice and the t/c light is on. no other lights or problems. any ideas?
Hello piinc21,

I apologize that you are experiencing a service stability light on your Escalade. Are you interested in taking your vehicle to the dealership in regards to this concern? If so, I would be more than happy to assist you in working with the dealership. Please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you will be working with. If you are unable to private message me, you can also reach out to me at socialmedia@gm.com. If you send an email, please include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

Heavybody
08-27-13, 08:24 AM

I have found that if the service stability control message pops up before I disable the system I can "turn it off" this happens occasionally