: Drove the new Fiat 500 today

orconn
06-30-11, 07:49 PM
I stopped by our local Fiat "Studio" to see what the new "500" was all about. I drove a manual transmission equipped mid level car. It was fun and fairly frisky for a fairly heavy car with a 112hp power plant, would be a real dog with an automatic in it. The styling was retro cute, sort of, but didn't make me want to lay down $15,000. for it or any of its more expensive stable mates.

I was surprised by the interior room and the comfortable seating. The array of available colors was impressive.

To sum up my feelings, the gas mileage certainly doesn't inspire immediate "gotta have"reach for my checkbook reflexes. Especially when they are cars that get almost as good mileage are fairly close in price and are much better suited to a broader range of American driving conditions. I just couldn't see why one would chose one of these over a Volkswagen Jetta ... unless "cutesy" was uppermost in your selection criteria.

Jesda
06-30-11, 07:59 PM
I actually fit in the back seat! It wasn't exactly a Town Car back there, but it was certainly more spacious than the rear seat of a BMW convertible.

I suppose its a stylish alternative for people willing to sacrifice some practicality for Italian cachet. Would you agree?

orconn
06-30-11, 08:11 PM
I actually fit in the back seat! It wasn't exactly a Town Car back there, but it was certainly more spacious than the rear seat of a BMW convertible.

I suppose its a stylish alternative for people willing to sacrifice some practicality for Italian cachet. Would you agree?

I prefer my "Italian Style" a little more upmarket! I wouldn't be surprised if the Cinquecento became a "fad" among well funded American suburban teenagers. To date the folks my wife knows that have bought these Fiats are all in their sixties! Go figure!

Stingroo
06-30-11, 09:21 PM
:postpics:

Jesda
06-30-11, 09:33 PM
I prefer my "Italian Style" a little more upmarket! I wouldn't be surprised if the Cinquecento became a "fad" among well funded American suburban teenagers. To date the folks my wife knows that have bought these Fiats are all in their sixties! Go figure!

Sounds like the same crowd that bought the Beetle in 1998. When I was in high school, the few girls with generous wealthy parents received brand new Beetles. The rest of the buyers were nostalgic boomers.

I want this:
http://www.blogcdn.com/green.autoblog.com/media/2009/02/fiat-500c.jpg

Stingroo
06-30-11, 09:37 PM
I would almost - ALMOST - say it even looks "okay" from that angle.

I feel lightheaded.

77CDV
07-01-11, 12:55 AM
I think they look pretty good. Now we just have to see if Italian engineering has improved since Fiat was last on these shores.

Koooop
07-01-11, 06:36 PM
They're actually real cute! Way better than a Smart and way, WAY (at least IMO) better than a Mini. For $15,000, it's an econobox that is peppy, super cute, fun to drive and doesn't suck.

I thnk Fiat nailed it.

Nope, there won't be one in my driveway.

Rodya234
07-02-11, 06:06 PM
For the record, I would never own a car that people commonly described as "cute". "Beautiful" and "gorgeous" are acceptable terms.

OffThaHorseCEO
11-11-11, 10:47 AM
Word on the streets is FIAT will be releasing the Abarth version of the FIAT 500 to the US market at this months auto show. Should be interesting.

My GF has taken a liking to this (way different class than an e550 cts-v coupe or audi S5, i dont get it haha) so I'll be following it. To be honest its a nice little car based on what the pictures and top gear reviews show. Its also right at 20k. I wonder what the abarth version will cost. I also wonder if the abarth version will be available in a convertible.

Orconn, when you drove the 500, how did you feel about the interior "build" feel? Was it nice and solid or did it lead you to believe that it would be a rattlefest in a few years?

STS_Seville_Hunter
11-11-11, 11:09 AM
These would be cooler is the ones we got were built in Italy not Mexico.

Destroyer
11-11-11, 09:31 PM
Another homo car......................:)

vincentm
11-11-11, 09:43 PM
Another homo car......................:)

Well, at least it's not a crosstour, then it'd be flaming homo car

Destroyer
11-11-11, 10:01 PM
Well, at least it's not a crosstour, then it'd be flaming homo carComing from you I would have to take this as an authorative source on "homo". Seems I made a mistake with the Crosstour. If you say the Crosstour is more "homo", I'm gonna believe it. :)

Stingroo
11-11-11, 10:08 PM
:food-snacking:

vincentm
11-11-11, 10:35 PM
Coming from you I would have to take this as an authorative source on "homo". Seems I made a mistake with the Crosstour. If you say the Crosstour is more "homo", I'm gonna believe it. :)

http://www.gifbin.com/bin/g6736g6419.gif

Playdrv4me
11-11-11, 10:35 PM
Awesomesauce...

http://www.ultimatecarblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Fiat-500-Abarth-1.jpg

Stingroo
11-11-11, 10:44 PM
Fugly, I'm afraid....

OffThaHorseCEO
11-12-11, 01:19 AM
so if a female is considering it and its a homo car...does that make her a lez? if so that would explain alot, i should possibly look for a new gf

Stingroo
11-12-11, 08:05 AM
^ Lol. The only lesbian I know well drives a 4Runner.

Hmmmmm....

Koooop
11-12-11, 05:04 PM
so if a female is considering it and its a homo car...does that make her a lez? if so that would explain alot, i should possibly look for a new gf

You need to think outside of the box, there's possibilities!

elwesso
11-12-11, 05:50 PM
Surprised to say that some would say its better than a MINI. My aunt/uncle have a Cooper S and what a great car. Its perfect for them because they live in an area with a lot of narrow roads and tight turns, and my aunt only drives it about 3 miles a day.

I thought that car was amazingly comfortable for how big it is..

Anyway, the fiat looks kinda funky. And for 15k, I'd rather have a CTS-V anyway.. ;)

OffThaHorseCEO
11-12-11, 06:02 PM
You need to think outside of the box, there's possibilities!

2 steps ahead, i never said REPLACING

ga_etc
11-12-11, 06:39 PM
I think the 500 is an interesting little car. I'm sure it's not the greatest thing in the world, but it's got unique styling and an Italian name working in it's favor. It'll be even more interesting if we get the Abarth version. That being said, I still vastly prefer the Mini Cooper S. I have liked and wanted a Cooper since their reintroduction.

orconn
11-12-11, 07:27 PM
^^^ I guess it has been a long time since FIAT crossed our shores! Young GA_etc thinks the name FIAT says something more than "fix it again Toni." I hope this time around FIAT leaves fond memories!

Destroyer
11-12-11, 10:16 PM
so if a female is considering it and its a homo car...does that make her a lez? if so that would explain alot, i should possibly look for a new gfUnfortunately, yes. Your search continues :)

thebigjimsho
11-13-11, 09:56 PM
My favorite episode of Top Gear(I'm biased) is with the 3 car documentary driving the CTS-V, Challenger SRT-8 and ZR1 to the Bonneville salt flats. They also reviewed the 500 Abarth. THAT I like. The regular 500? Notsomuch...

greencadillacmatt
11-14-11, 11:54 PM
I think they are neat little cars. Especially if we can get the Abarth. Hell, if Clarkson fits in one, I might too. That said, I think I prefer the Mini and the newly redesigned VW Beetle.

bobbybruno19
11-15-11, 04:43 AM
I drove it a couple of days ago and think I liked its spaciousness more than anything else.

thebigjimsho
11-15-11, 09:32 AM
I will NEVER drive a Beetle.

Playdrv4me
11-15-11, 10:27 AM
I dig the new Mini Cooper "Coupe".

Stingroo
11-15-11, 11:30 AM
All of these new minis are gross looking, except the regular Cooper/Cooper S.

thebigjimsho
11-15-11, 02:19 PM
All of these new minis are gross looking, except the regular Cooper/Cooper S.I think each iteration of the Mini has been appropriate and a logical expansion on a large niche. But I agree the standard Cooper/Cooper S are the best proportioned and most attractive...

Jesda
11-16-11, 07:11 AM
The Cooper is surprisingly roomy thanks to its upright shape.

Rolex
11-16-11, 07:50 AM
Chick car is okay. I won't need eye bleach after seeing it, but it's not a vehicle I would personally want to own as a daily driver. I can see this being something my kid would want to drive (if she was 16).

Personally I like the re-designed beetle better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/wheels-bug2-blog480.jpg

Playdrv4me
11-16-11, 11:22 PM
Chick car is okay. I won't need eye bleach after seeing it, but it's not a vehicle I would personally want to own as a daily driver. I can see this being something my kid would want to drive (if she was 16).

Personally I like the re-designed beetle better.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v305/rolex/wheels-bug2-blog480.jpg

The irony is that the re-designed New Beetle looks more like the original than the first New Beetle did.

OffThaHorseCEO
11-17-11, 04:57 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho

The Abarth 500 was announced yesterday (for US market)

orconn
11-17-11, 07:15 PM
I feel cheated .... they come on with a beautiful girl like that ..... and then deliver a hopped up Fiat 500! Mama Mia, talk about the let done!

Stingroo
11-18-11, 12:51 AM
Yeah, the fugly Fiat at the end was disappointing. Notice the Abarth scorpion "tattooed" on the back of her neck.

Night Wolf
11-18-11, 01:43 AM
There was a new 500 in the parking lot at work over the Summer. It was an interesting car, pretty cool. The new small cars are nice - may even be small/light enough to fit in toyhauler 5th wheels and motorhomes. Neat transportation without towing anything extra.

orconn
11-18-11, 01:28 PM
Yeah, the fugly Fiat at the end was disappointing. Notice the Abarth scorpion "tattooed" on the back of her neck.

If she had a "Prancing Horse" instead of a scorpion, I'd start saving my money! The thought just crossed my mind does the "new" Fiat sell these accessories separately?

orconn
11-18-11, 01:31 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpi2IAec9Ho

The Abarth 500 was announced yesterday (for US market)

I nominate this as the "Best Car Ad" of the century!!!