: what trans does a '63 series 62 or Fleetwood have?

alistair
06-30-11, 12:25 PM
Hi guys, I am off to see a '63 Cadillac series 62 or maybe a Fleetwood. It has the 390 and an automatic trans. This will be too early for a TH400. So what trans is it in these? The car has been stood 2 years so I am a little worried about transmission issues with it.

Any specific things which I need to know about a '63 when viewing or is it just the regular "old car stuff"?

sven914
06-30-11, 12:58 PM
'63 would have a Jataway Hydro-Matic. If it was a '64, then it would have a Turbo 400 and I wouldn't be surprised if it got converted.

DouglasJRizzo
06-30-11, 08:23 PM
1963 was the last year for the old 4 speed hydramatic transmission. There's nothing really "wrong" with them excepting that they're very old and you really need to bring it to a reputable transmission shop for rebuilding as many places have no clue with them.

The 390 was also in its final year for 1963. A good solid engine, the '63 version had the distributor moved to the front, for serviceability and as such, is somewhat different than the 390's used in previous years. It also was the first year for PCV - positive crankcase ventilation, doing away with the smelly old draft tubes that were used before. Again, nothing wrong with this engine, but it's just "old" and therefore some mechanics may not be familiar with it.

alistair
07-01-11, 03:30 AM
Thanks guys. I live in the UK where nobody is familiar with any kind of Cadillac (excepting maybe the BLS which is after all just a Saab with a different set of badges on it)!

Wikipedia suggests the Jetaway Hydramatic is probably not a bad 'box for my needs. I will be using the car as my daily driver so decent flexibility on the road (especially country roads) and a nice high speed cruise are important. From what I read it should be similar spread of gears and cruising ability as I get with the T200-4R now...

albymangled
07-01-11, 05:28 AM
Thanks guys. I live in the UK where nobody is familiar with any kind of Cadillac (excepting maybe the BLS which is after all just a Saab with a different set of badges on it)!

Wikipedia suggests the Jetaway Hydramatic is probably not a bad 'box for my needs. I will be using the car as my daily driver so decent flexibility on the road (especially country roads) and a nice high speed cruise are important. From what I read it should be similar spread of gears and cruising ability as I get with the T200-4R now...

So you have a fleet card for fuel then.....hahahahahah..???

alistair
07-01-11, 04:23 PM
Heh, I run an '87 Fleetwood Brougham as a daily. I ran a '65 Olds with the 425 as a daily. I don't get worse MPG than the guys with Range Rovers and such stuff. I don't commute 30 miles to work every day or anything like that though...

albymangled
07-01-11, 07:30 PM
"I don't get worse MPG than the guys with Range Rovers and such stuff"

probably bloody right mate...

and you'll look cooler and enjoy it more...

good onya.....

alistair
07-04-11, 01:59 PM
And I won't lose twenty grand in depreciation over 3 years LOL