: trans fluid level questions???

ocjmakaveli
10-17-04, 04:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone with their 93-96 transmissions 4L60E has this problem i have....

Ever since i bought my car and even after replacing the trans fluid twice i can never i mean never get a good trans fluid level readout whenever i have checked it either cold or hot it always seems overfilled for some odd reason i always make sure to use the amount listed in the owner's manual.

I believe the reason for my problem is because of the odd twists the trans level dipstick has when going down to the trans .

Is there any harm if it is overfilled with fluid?

i read somewhere that this may cause leaks but would the leaks stop once the level returns to normal or would this be a permanent leak?

my car feels fine i just wonder why the level is always higher than it should be i mean half an inch above the hot reading or so always the same.

A couple months agodam li i had a problem with leaking trans cooler lines but it went away and now the nes are dry and don't leak anymore and the trans fluid level is the same is this strange? tiat one me i could put a napkin around the trans line at the union from metal to rubber and it would get wet after a few blocks of driving but nowadays it's dry and doesn't leak anymore lol not complaining but i wonder if it fixed itself.....

barge master
10-17-04, 07:58 AM
I've seen cars like that,where the fluid level fluctuates. It's usually on Mopars though. If the little extra isn't foaming, I wouldn't worry about it, although I prefer to see it a little low rather than high.

brougham
10-17-04, 01:09 PM
If it always looks like it's overfilled maybe it's because you put too much in.

ocjmakaveli
10-17-04, 06:34 PM
lol "brougham" if it were only that easy lol........i guess i never thought of that :worship: :thumbsup:

last time i did a trans and filter change i added 5 qts. to the trans as per instructions in the manual and FSM but since the start it always read high.

anyways the car feels fine so i just wanted some feedback on this situation.

BTW i never had any foaming on any car i've owned or worked on why would the fluid foam??

barge master
10-17-04, 10:10 PM
When it's overfilled enough the fluid is going places nature didn't intend and air mixes with it.Not good.
I didn't know you just put in a prescribed amount of fluid,you can never trust those books when it comes to tranny fluid,it's never a certainty how much drains out.

juiceE
10-19-04, 05:54 PM
i got the same situation, fluid always looks too high on dipstick, but doesnt look like it filles into the little holes?... and its very hard to read the fluid, it looks absolutly clear?... i sumtimes wondered if i have the correct dipstick....but then i didnt want to worry myself too much, so i forgot abou it.

ocjmakaveli
10-21-04, 12:26 PM
JUICE honestly i think if the fluid is clear it's probably low what i would do is either check for leaks and then replace the filter and fluid for about $25 total

juiceE
10-22-04, 11:40 AM
Ooh Shit....lol...
I Just Had My Filter And Fluid Replaced Not Too Long Ago... I Dont Believe I Have A Leak, I Know I Have An Oil Leak Though :( ... But On The Tranny Dipstick, If I Look Really Close, There Is Sum Fluid On It, Past The Marked Area, But It Doesnt Fill In The Holes, And Is Truley Clear, So Ill Try To Put Sum More In, An See If It Changes Anything...

ocjmakaveli
10-22-04, 03:07 PM
NO don't put more in not adviseable if you already see it marks past full

what i think is possibly the fluid used might just be transparent/clear or at least appears to be clear on the dipstick perhaps related to the brand

When all else fails just focus on the performance of your car if it functions well and you know that the trans makes good shifts and functions how it has and how it should i would leave it how it is instead of adding fluid and possibly creating problems because of overfilling.

Only surest way to measure would be to drain fluid and measure how much was in there and you could even use the same fluid if money is a concern, just buy a new trans gasket although i know people that only use that gasket in a tube stuff and it works fine too.

I should mention too that I also get clear fluid or in my opinion "dry spots" on the dipstick where it seem the fluid skips a spot but i usually get a good read with a good amount of fluid although its usually HIGH on the dipstick lol

For the hell of it though i'm going to upgrade to the deep pan and new deeper filter needed which should total about $50 from GMPD planning to do it first week of november.

juiceE
10-25-04, 01:59 PM
DEEP PAN, HU (interesting).... UR DRIVING A FLEETWOOD TOO, RIGHT?

ocjmakaveli
10-26-04, 01:14 AM
Yeah i'll get you the part numbers i seen around here

the parts are from a tahoe i think but they are the same trans so they fit perfectly.

i like it cause it'll help the trans keep cooler and i like the "extra" part

easy job too about 12 bolts and then the filter is just pressed in which u pull out by hand and then put it back together.

about a 1 hour job or less.

i have a 94 fleetwood brougham 4l60e trans<--only stock trans for fleets 93-96

trust me you don't want to put this off and then have to pay 1500+ for a new trans/rebuilt when you can avoid it.

last thing if your trans is over 100,000 miles with no trans oil change i highly recommend putting the same oil back in because for some odd reason when you put new oil in a trans that doesn't have frequent oil changes they will die on you a few weeks after.

happened to me on a dodge caravan i worked on and has happened to my uncles cars so they don't put new trans oil in OLD cars anymore and they work fine this way.

juiceE
10-26-04, 02:09 PM
if u can get that prt # thanx alot.

i got about 57k miles on mine, an about 1/2- 1 yr ago i gota tranny flush, which right after gettin it, i found out i shouldnt have, but everything seems fine, just like it was b4... the only thing thats bothering me about it, (its been this way since b4 the flush) is how it shifts from 1st to 2nd... it feels like b4 the shift, it looses power for a sec then shifts hard.... aka not smooth.

ocjmakaveli
10-27-04, 12:15 PM
if u can get that prt # thanx alot.

i got about 57k miles on mine, an about 1/2- 1 yr ago i gota tranny flush, which right after gettin it, i found out i shouldnt have, but everything seems fine, just like it was b4... the only thing thats bothering me about it, (its been this way since b4 the flush) is how it shifts from 1st to 2nd... it feels like b4 the shift, it looses power for a sec then shifts hard.... aka not smooth.

here ya go

trans pan is #24209295 www.gmpartsdirect.com price $21.50

filter needed for this pan #24208576 www.gmpartsdirect.com price $32.24

i strongly suggest buying off there to get the lowest price only other thing you need is between 6-7 qts. of trans fluid and some gasket althought the filter probably comes with on anyway.

i am going to add 6 qts. to this new pan and then see the fluid level and if its fine i'll leave it like that and add as necessary but since this new pan adds 2 qts. capacity then the actual total as per the manual would be 7 qts. at most just put 6 1/2 cause there is always some fluid left in the trans and better to be slightly below i think.

later