: Dodge Ram, or 95 DGGM Impala SS?

HAZZARDJOHN
06-28-11, 11:24 PM
You decide!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/PB240095.jpg

^ My old long gone Impala but the new one looks the same, with 92K miles, and unlike my old one it isn't modified to the point of unreliability. Limited to a cold air intake, and a stereo system, with 92K miles.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/P4020470.jpg

^ Or keep my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2 Auto with 78K miles that has been the best pickup I have ever owned, looks awesome and will tow your house without flinching if asked.

Now Here is my Dillema, I have missed my impala since I sold it. Not sure why as I owned it for three years and the motor blew up 3 weeks after purchase. Drained my Bank account in repairs, spent the next year trying to fix the motor only to give up and buy a junkyard motor, then three weeks after I got it on the road again it started backfiring randomly. I sold it to a club member for 6K after I had about 12K into it. Anybody who was on the Impala site remembers my plight probably. But even still it was my dream car since I was 14. Since The weather has finally started to turn here, I have been missing it and wishing I still had it.

The Ram story. I bought as a DD after I sold the Impala (most the money from the Impala went into the Dodge at purchase) Now I have driven it for three wonderful years. I started to become really fond of this pickup to the point that I bought my Lesabre so I didn't have to DD it anymore. I love the looks, the fact I don't need to borrow a Pickup to haul a car (something I did a lot when I had the impala:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/broke9-10-07-02.jpg

^ For instance this is when I fixed the entire Valve train and a week later lost oil pressure and spun a bearing before I could get the engine shut down.

So I could sell the pickup to a neighbor tonight for $8500 and the Impala is $5900 asking, I think I can get it for cheaper. What would you do.

Keep reliable, well maintained and never let me down pickup, or buy old dream car that I have apprehensions with cause I had such a disaster last time I played Impala. Now I really don't want to have more than 3 Cars as that makes insurance, storage, etc. just a PITA. So keeping the pickup and buying the Impala is not a option IMO.

cadillac kevin
06-28-11, 11:28 PM
I really (and I mean REALLY) like impalas but that dodge is super clean- you just dont see them around here like that. I say keep the dodge, sell the buick, and buy the impala.

HAZZARDJOHN
06-28-11, 11:30 PM
LOL thought about that, but then what would I drive to work and in winter? I know the Dodge is almost one of a kind, I bought it because it only had 38K miles in 2008, but I was reluctant cause I never seen a Good half ton Dodge, this one though has been great and still looks great.

~HJ

drewsdeville
06-28-11, 11:43 PM
wtf, someone is offering $8500 for a '98 Ram? Is that a typo? If not, forget about your question for now - TAKE IT AND RUN. Even if you take that money and buy another Ram, that's silly money for that and it's easy profit that you'll most likely never have another opportunity at.

Jesda
06-28-11, 11:51 PM
I agree, if you're being offered that much for the Ram, sell it. Then decide later what to buy.

I'm really surprised that you had so many issues with your Impala! Far as I knew, the powertrains were as simple as counting to 5.

Stingroo
06-28-11, 11:52 PM
I'm with Drew on that one... that sounds like a no-brainer.

And obviously I have B-bias. :lol:

ga_etc
06-28-11, 11:57 PM
The Ram is a beautiful truck, with super low mileage, but that really is a crazy amount of money for it. I would be hard pressed to decide myself, without the option of the SS.

Sell the Ram, buy the SS, and trade the LeSabre in on another Ranger?

*Also, you have to remember that with doing any towing/hauling with the Ram, it's eventually going to spit out the transmission. It's inevitable.

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 12:09 AM
The dodge Blue Books for about $7500, but seriously, try and find a ram as nice as the one I got around here for less money than $8500. They are not offering Crazy money, maybe Crazy to you, but out here you are not going to do better. Last year I looked and to get anything comparable with the same miles, but maybe a couple years newer you were talking 10K plus. I have been saying for years that this pickup is worth 10K to me, cause to sell it for less I would only end up with a lesser vehicle.

Also I am well aware of the transmission rep these pickups have, If I had a nickel for every Stranger That has told me "your tranny is going to go" I would have been able to put a new tranny in my Truck on that money alone. Seriously I have never had more rude people come up to me with any other vehicle than I have with this pickup. Seriously, do people walk up to strangers with Northstars and tell them that their car is a POS and it's going to need head gaskets? It just seems like a rude thing to do. I am a car guy so I knew the tranny rep going in, but it was so nice I chanced it, but I never thought people would be so rude about it. The thing about the tranny is, I don't think they are any worse than a 4L60E and I personally have towed up to the tow limit many times and it still shifts like a new Pickup. I have not seen many 4L60E's that have gone past 100K miles with typical maintenance (or lack thereof).

The Dodge in the background on this pic is my old neighbors dodge and if his pickup is moving it has a trailer on it, and currently has around 250K miles on the original engine and tranny.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/explorer/P5080198.jpg

So you see, a Dodge tranny can last a while with proper care.

~HJ

ga_etc
06-29-11, 12:16 AM
I believe you whole heartedly John. It's a beautiful truck. Look at it this way then. You know you can find another clean SS for a reasonable price. Can you match your truck's quality trying to replace it?

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 12:25 AM
Sorry the tranny thing is just one of my Pet peeves. The reason I am leaning towards keeping the Dodge is I want and will have another Impala one way or another. I love those cars, but I think if it were fall and I would have stumbled across this car I would pass as it would just go into storage in a few months. However, it is summer and in the heat of Car show and cruise season, and I desperately want a fun car! Tough call.

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 12:33 AM
I agree, if you're being offered that much for the Ram, sell it. Then decide later what to buy.

I'm really surprised that you had so many issues with your Impala! Far as I knew, the powertrains were as simple as counting to 5.

It's not the Impala's fault. I wanted a Clean Impala that had never seen a winter. I bought the Admin of the MinneSSota Impala club's car on the advice of some members who were friends. It was heavily modified, I have receipts for everything in the motor and it is about 10K that he spent in the motor alone. Now after being elbow deep in the motor for years I discovered demons and all kinds of things that were hacked and caused me nightmares. I will never buy a modded car again. Like I said I bought it cause it was clean, the Modded motor was just a "bonus" :-(

Even the stereo was hacked. I wanted to put a new deck in since it had an ancient Alpine, My radio install buddy spent three weeks with the car rebuilding and rewiring the car (in his spare time after hours) and hates that car to this day. All the wiring for the factory radio was ripped out and the crappy system that was in it was hacked in. He said if he would have charged me it would have been over $2000 to fix the hack job.
My buddy did finish my trunk off nice with a light up Impala logo when I was done though!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/P5140091.jpg

Here's the original ad if you want to see what it was when I got it:

http://www.minnessota.com/bbs/toast.ASP?sub=show&action=posts&fid=4&tid=9438

orconn
06-29-11, 12:36 AM
Keep the Dodge, you obviously have a strong attachment to it. You have the Buick as your beater. If you are missing showing some thing at the car shows, show the truck!

I do believe you will be kicking your self the minute your Dodge truck heads down the street with a new owner!

Destroyer
06-29-11, 12:39 AM
I think you answered yourself. The RAM has been a reliable transport and a useful vehicle being a P/U. Why get rid of it?

ga_etc
06-29-11, 12:42 AM
I'm sorry if my comment came off as rude John. That is just an account of what I have seen from my friend's trucks. I know there are exceptions to all rules. I wasn't trying to discount your truck at all.

And I agree with orconn. You seem to have a strong love for the truck and have worked hard to keep it so nice. I would just take it to the shows. It might not "fit in", but that will make people notice how nice it is just that much more.

hueterm
06-29-11, 12:43 AM
If you can afford it, and can get the SS for $6K, I'd just get the Impala and keep the others. DD the LeSabre and dump miles on it (don't you have a long commute, IIRC?). You don't want to dump that many miles on the SS, and while I don't have such an appreciation for a '90s Ram, you really like it and that's what matters. I'm sure the reason you're getting offered $8+K is that it's such low mileage and it's so nice. If you get rid of it, you're going to have to spend that much to get something in similar condition...so why mess with it, just keep it. Assuming that's your house in the pic w/the truck, it looks like you have a 2 car garage. Can't you keep the truck and the SS in the garage, and keep the LeSabre outside?

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 12:47 AM
I guess it is not so much people on here as Strangers that come off rude. I don't think I have ever posted a pic of that truck or talked with someone about it where the tranny hasn't come up. My Friend Scott and I have a running joke when something goes wrong, like my reverse lights quit working, "tranny's going out" No matter what it is, he always says that. :-)

I will say this about the tranny. The gear ratios suck, it just doesn't shift like a ford or a chevy. I've learned to used it for heavy loads, but sometimes you have to trick it into being in the right gear for the situation.

~HJ

ga_etc
06-29-11, 12:51 AM
Quality issues, perceived or actual, aside I still like the Rams. They're a good design that has aged well. The 318 and 360 are both good engines that will run forever, from what I've seen. I wouldn't mind having one myself it they weren't so hard on gas.

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 12:58 AM
Assuming that's your house in the pic w/the truck, it looks like you have a 2 car garage. Can't you keep the truck and the SS in the garage, and keep the LeSabre outside?

That's my Folks house. I was visiting and getting my new wheels and tires when I took that pic. I live on a farm in South Dakota. I have two barns and a one car Garage to store things in. I am on the Dave Ramsey plan so this only works if I sell a car. I bought the Buick in May for $8000 so dipping into my savings again for another car would put me less than three months expenses. The only way I'd get a car this year is if I sold the truck and bought another one with the proceeds.

I really like the Ram, and it has been a Great pickup. Tied with my old 77 GMC 250 I-6 3spd on the tree as the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. But I am not as attached as I come off. I just felt the need to defend it from the ripping that it was getting.

The 94 Impala came out when I was 12 and I was 10 when I saw the prototype. I loved that car and begged my Mom to get one every year they were made (she was buying explorers then) So I bought a few Roadmasters as a youth and then in 2006 I bought the Green impala, which turned into an economic nightmare. I decided to stay away from them for several years. But I keep coming back to them, and this car is local and in excellent shape for what is still a good price. Now selling the truck puts this in my garage, but is this the right thing to do is what I am struggling with.

Stingroo
06-29-11, 01:02 AM
I'd go for it.

But... needs more DCM. :p

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 01:05 AM
I'd go for it.

But... needs more DCM. :p

Someday when I am rich, old and adored by women I will own a DCM, but it will only be so I can own the trifecta,

All three years, all three colors. DCM will be the last color bought. I just don't like red.

~HJ

Stingroo
06-29-11, 01:07 AM
If I were rich and famous and covered in wenches, I would scour the globe for a DCM WB4 RMW.

:(

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 01:10 AM
With a sedan nose and then you'd be talking.

hueterm
06-29-11, 01:10 AM
That's my Folks house. I was visiting and getting my new wheels and tires when I took that pic. I live on a farm in South Dakota. I have two barns and a one car Garage to store things in. I am on the Dave Ramsey plan so this only works if I sell a car. I bought the Buick in May for $8000 so dipping into my savings again for another car would put me less than three months expenses. The only way I'd get a car this year is if I sold the truck and bought another one with the proceeds.

I really like the Ram, and it has been a Great pickup. Tied with my old 77 GMC 250 I-6 3spd on the tree as the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned. But I am not as attached as I come off. I just felt the need to defend it from the ripping that it was getting.

The 94 Impala came out when I was 12 and I was 10 when I saw the prototype. I loved that car and begged my Mom to get one every year they were made (she was buying explorers then) So I bought a few Roadmasters as a youth and then in 2006 I bought the Green impala, which turned into an economic nightmare. I decided to stay away from them for several years. But I keep coming back to them, and this car is local and in excellent shape for what is still a good price. Now selling the truck puts this in my garage, but is this the right thing to do is what I am struggling with.

All in all, other than its age, the SS should be very reliable. It's also not a DD, so if you need to fix things here and there, you're not going to be stranded.

If you can sell the truck and buy the SS and have $2600 left over, I'd do it. Save up some money in addition to the $2600, and get a winter 4WD beater at some point, if you need it. Do you drive this truck in the winter, or are you afraid of the salt?

Stingroo
06-29-11, 01:11 AM
With a sedan nose and then you'd be talking.

Ack no. I don't like the RMS nose.

:hide:

cadillac kevin
06-29-11, 01:30 AM
until you pointed it out, I thought the rmw had a caprice nose with a buick grille. I then learned it has a different bumper AND grille.
I still want a rmw with a rms nose.

ga_etc
06-29-11, 01:44 AM
Ack no. I don't like the RMS nose.

:hide:

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/P5300407.jpg

:rtfinger:

hueterm
06-29-11, 01:45 AM
I much prefer the RMS nose to the RMW...however, not enough to convert mine...

Stingroo
06-29-11, 01:46 AM
Austin you made yours look 100 times worse with that nasty front license plate that is not in that photo.

ga_etc
06-29-11, 01:52 AM
You mean this?

http://i685.photobucket.com/albums/vv220/austin99etc/IMG_20110306_181627.jpg

:rtfinger: :rtfinger:

Stingroo
06-29-11, 01:54 AM
:ack: :ack: :ack: :ack: :ack:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-29-11, 01:55 AM
Buy the Impala. You keep saying that the other one was unreliable because it was modded, but otherwise they're your dream car. Well this looks like a perfect opportunity to buy another Impala SS in great condition, with lower miles for a very reasonable price. They built hundreds of thousands of Rams, but they're are only a few, clean, unmodded Impalas left.

Aron9000
06-29-11, 02:24 AM
$5900 is a great price on that Impala BTW. Those things sell for stupid $$$ most of the time, that would sell for $8 or $9k around where I live.

I'd keep the truck if I were you, sounds like you'd really regret selling it. Also $8000 is a lot of $$$$$ to be tied up in a winter vehicle that you don't even really care about IMO.

gdwriter
06-29-11, 02:29 AM
They built hundreds of thousands of Rams, but they're are only a few, clean, unmodded Impalas left.Chad makes an excellent point.

I already have my dream car, and I have to say, it's worth it. At least give this car a good inspection, and most importantly, a test drive. See if the old magic is still there. Even after 15 years, when I drove Betty for the first time; the experience was exactly how I remembered a '64 Impala felt, drove and sounded. But when Rick went to Chicago to look at that '93 Coupe de Ville, it did nothing for him (and it was an overpriced rust bucket besides). I think that will tell you what to do.

ben.gators
06-29-11, 03:37 AM
I always say don't sell a car if:
1- You like it
2- It is reliable
3- You need it
It seems that your truck satisfies all my three requirements and therefore my suggestion is don't sell it....

However, that Impala is really gorgeous and clean. I do love those Impalas and its hard to pass it....It would be wonderful if you can afford to keep the truck and buy the Impala. Else another solution can be selling the Buick and buying the Impala, and use the remaining money to buy a beater.... If you can get $7k for that Buick and buy the Impala for $6k, then by spending one more grand from your pocket you should be able to buy a winter beater....

Jesda
06-29-11, 03:38 AM
Life is short. Own one of everything.

Playdrv4me
06-29-11, 05:59 AM
Seriously, do people walk up to strangers with Northstars and tell them that their car is a POS and it's going to need head gaskets? Yes.

That said, I love my '02 Ram, even with its lowly V6... but I have no doubts the trans in it will probably not last as long as one would expect in a GM or Ford truck. Hell I consider my '02 to have low miles and it still has more than yours at somewhere over 90k now. The trans definitely has some weird behaviors now and then. Let's be honest, Chrysler's strongsuit has never really been transmissions. A shame, because if Chrysler had something like the Allison, paired up with that fantastic Cummins Diesel, it would be my choice in a heavy duty pickup. As it stands, the GM combo is unbeatable.

I would take the advice given here and take that 8500 bucks. It's a beautiful truck, but used car prices are insane right now due to lack of quality inventory which explains the high offer (also, your neighbor and I probably share similar feelings on "mint" cars, and our likelihood to pay a premium for them). Likewise, 5900 seems very LOW to me for an Impala with such low mileage being that those have reached nearly collector car status in good condition. So the way I see it, you're pocketing over 2500.00 AND getting a low mileage Impala for next to nothing, while making out like a fat rat on the truck. I don't see why this is even up for discussion anymore.

ben.gators
06-29-11, 06:32 AM
^
LOL for N*... I guess HAZZARDJOHN hasn't met Destroyer yet :D

brandondeleo
06-29-11, 06:36 AM
LOVE that generation Impala. They are total beasts. Also love the Ram, just not quite as interesting. Lol.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-29-11, 07:45 PM
The 94-96 Impala SS will always be a desirable modern day "muscle car". The Ram, while very clean and low mileage, isn't nearly as desirable overall, unless you crave a mint late '90s Ram. If nothing else, the Impala will atleast be an investment opportunity.

chatsworth
06-29-11, 08:06 PM
I think the '95 has the analogue speedometer whereas the '94 and '96 impala have digital, making it even better!

---

Country Gift Baskets (http://www.abasketcase.com/)

Stingroo
06-29-11, 08:43 PM
'96 is the only year with the analog gauges, but that's nothing a Z28 cluster can't fix.

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 08:45 PM
94 and 95 Impalas have Digital speedo's with four gauges and no tach. The 96 had analog gauges a tach and only two gauges (a temp gauge and a fuel gauge). I had my Dad run the vin (he's a cop) and it has a small Deer car accident in New Jersey about 6 years ago. I am going to have it inspected and make a decision.

gdwriter
06-29-11, 08:48 PM
'96 also had a floor shifter with a chrome Impala emblem on the console.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-29-11, 08:51 PM
1996 is THE year to get. All three colors were available, it had the analog gauges and it was the only year they put the shifter on the floor. 1994-95 had a center console, but left the shifter on the column...stoopid.

BRB, gonna grab my '96 Impala brochure and let my imagination run away...

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 09:11 PM
95 is the year to get. 96 had OBII and dex cool. I can have a better looking floor shift out of a blazer installed in a 95 over a weekend and If I had to have a tach I could swap a 150 MPH Z cluster. 96 also has a reground cam for OBDII which makes it a tick slower than a 95.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/P6190140.jpg

^ Blazer console > than 94-96 impala console (they were the same cheap console all three years just a swapped insert where the cup holders were) plus the blazer console gets you a floor shift with cup holders! The 96 has no cup holders save the ash tray.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-29-11, 09:15 PM
But wouldn't any 94 or 95 that has had a coolant service have dexcool in it now?

EDIT: Nevermind.

EDIT EDIT: I was wrong, according to my 1995 Impala SS brochure, you could get all three colors in 1995 as well.

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 09:19 PM
Not if there owner had any sense. Hell most 96's don't have dex cool anymore, but they all came with it.

Dex cool = the devil

LT1 water pumps are not known for reliability, but add Dex cool and it was a time bomb

Edit on the color, Yes 95 DGGM and DCM were introduced. That is why I want the trifecta, all three years, and all three colors. as far as I know this is the only car ever made that you could have all the years made in all colors made and only have one car for each year.

~HJ

Playdrv4me
06-29-11, 09:50 PM
That's alotta 'Pala.

Destroyer
06-29-11, 11:33 PM
The 94-96 Impala SS will always be a desirable modern day "muscle car". The Ram, while very clean and low mileage, isn't nearly as desirable overall, unless you crave a mint late '90s Ram. If nothing else, the Impala will atleast be an investment opportunity.There is no such thing as an "investment" car. Not unless it is your business and you do quick flips (i.e. dealers). I've seen Impala SS's come down in price recently. It really comes down to if he needs a car or a truck.

HAZZARDJOHN
06-29-11, 11:48 PM
I agree on the investment thing, but I am a car guy and I have spent tens of thousands of dollars on cars and not received much back other than enjoyment. Hell I have never sold a car for anywhere near what I paid for it. This is not a question of needs, I need my Lesabre to get to work on time, I want the ram, and the Cadillac, and I am thinking about getting another want which is the Impala. Trust me owning multiple cars has nothing to do with need. It is a burden and a PITA sometimes, but when you enjoy them it makes it all worth it. Kind of like kids, except when a car pisses me off I can lock it in a shed and not look at it for months! :)

Stingroo
06-30-11, 12:32 AM
You could do that with a kid too, until someone found out. :lol:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-30-11, 01:14 AM
There is no such thing as an "investment" car. Not unless it is your business and you do quick flips (i.e. dealers).

I'm sure there are lots of people who would disagree with you that bought Hemi-powered Challengers and Chargers in the early '80s for pennies on the dollar and sold them recently for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

orconn
06-30-11, 01:22 AM
I'm sure there are lots of people who would disagree with you that bought Hemi-powered Challengers and Chargers in the early '80s for pennies on the dollar and sold them recently for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Don't kid yourself, most of those guys buying those Mopar wonders in the early eighties sold them off to the dealers, at small profits in the mid eighties. For every pro who got "big bucks" from an "investor" at the Scottsdale auctions there are literally thousands who saw a net loss after insurance and other expenses. Cars are a fun hobby, lots of enjoyment ..... not much in the way of profit for most of the car hobbyists!

Jesda
06-30-11, 01:24 AM

Thats true, but its tough to gauge what's going to be investment-worthy and what isn't. Maybe I just don't have a keen eye for that sort of thing.

Playdrv4me
06-30-11, 01:30 AM
I was about to say, nothing John said led me to believe this was a "need" situation. He's in the driver's seat as far as whatever he wants to do because his transportation needs are covered.

Playdrv4me
06-30-11, 01:31 AM
Thats true, but its tough to gauge what's going to be investment-worthy and what isn't. Maybe I just don't have a keen eye for that sort of thing.

It's a fairly safe bet that there will be far fewer vehicles from the modern era that will be as collectible later on as those cars were back then.

hueterm
06-30-11, 06:03 PM

Ducky...hello...

And seriously...you're lucky to keep a car 6 months. 25 years?? HAHAHA

Destroyer
06-30-11, 10:14 PM
I'm sure there are lots of people who would disagree with you that bought Hemi-powered Challengers and Chargers in the early '80s for pennies on the dollar and sold them recently for hundreds of thousands of dollars.Ok. You are talking 30 years! It would take a crystal ball to predict a crappy old Mopar (or any car) would be worth that much. I had a 340 Challenger and several big and small block Mopars and I enjoyed them all but never thought to hold on to one because it might gain in value. Yes, a few did make some money but the rest simply got sold and resold at small profits till they peaked and then started losing value just like the real estate market. The market is always changing. Would you buy a late 80's or early 90's car now, hold onto and maintain, insure, repair for 25-35 years in hopes of appreciation? Probably not. There are much safer ways to make money.

Destroyer
06-30-11, 10:27 PM
It's a fairly safe bet that there will be far fewer vehicles from the modern era that will be as collectible later on as those cars were back then.The 60's and early 70's muscle cars were a phenomenon that won't happen again and it's really because they were followed by 2 decades of low compression, smog equipped, basically crap cars that were not for enthusiasts. For almost 2 decades after the muscle cars people had "memories" of these cars they held on to. More often than not, their memories were highly exaggerated but whatever. These people drove the prices up when their homes gained 20% a year in value and were re-financed to the hilt. Anyway the performance cars came back and it started in the 80's. Thing is it didn't stop this time and today cars are faster than ever and keep getting faster. There is no reason to "want" an 80's performance car now, especially when a new Camry is just as fast if not faster. See where I'm going with this?

Stingroo
06-30-11, 10:29 PM
Well.... I'd totally "want" all over a Grand National. :lol:

Jesda
06-30-11, 10:31 PM
An average 401k will earn more than the value of a muscle car after two decades anyway.

If you're going to keep a classic, keep it because you love it. The possible price appreciation is just icing on the cake.

gdwriter
07-01-11, 12:31 AM
If you're going to keep a classic, keep it because you love it. The possible price appreciation is just icing on the cake.Precisely. I've put more $$$ into Betty — another $600 today — than I'd ever get out of her. But it doesn't matter because I will never sell her. When I die, she will either go to my heirs or be donated to a museum.

HAZZARDJOHN
07-01-11, 12:43 AM
New dilemma? 98 Ram, 95 DGGM SS or 94 BBB Caprice wagon

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/car%20craft/P7210082.jpg

This is my Friend Dennis' wagon. He got divorced last year and moved to Charlotte NC. He has decided to start looking to sell the wagon which is in MN. Now I am not much of a wagon guy, but this car is the best looking tastefully modded wagon I have ever seen. It has a motor that has been gone through with a mild cam and it has been on the road with that motor for years so it is reliable. A built transmission, and a rear end with 3.73's and an Eaton posi. Smoothie front bumper, a suncoast hood, and a Z28 cluster. Now this car is fast and handles surprisingly well thanks to springs and sway bars. The negative is the interior needs to be finished. He has been working on upgrading the interior for years and it is about half done. It has Infinity power sears and the dash board has be recovered in black, but the seats need to be recovered in black to match and the panels and carpet in the back are still red.

I have joked with him for about a year now about selling me his car. Well he decided that since he would have to make it a different car to pass emissions in NC, he wants to sell it. The problem is, Him and I have no idea what a fair price would be. To build this car as it sits would cost in excess of 10K, but in the end it still is a caprice wagon with a half done interior. What do you guys think would be a fair price to offer?

~HJ

Stingroo
07-01-11, 12:47 AM
Wagon wagon wagon wagon wagon!

(But I bet you already expected that one)

Obviously you already know the Z28 cluster setup is quite pricey, as well as the hood and bumpers. I also spy an RAISS... so he's done some good mods to it already. Is he running a rear sway bar and LCA's?

How many miles on it? Assuming the body is clean and rust free, I wouldn't be surprised to see that car fetch $6-7k down here. It's nice. Wheels are a bit plain, but hey.

HAZZARDJOHN
07-01-11, 12:53 AM
Yeah I saw that coming. It is a cool car, and it has enough left to do that even though he has owned it for ten years I can still make it mine.

http://www.minnessota.com/pictures/Pic_84_8.jpg

^ here is what it looked like stock.

I just don't want to insult my buddy, but I'd have a hard time offering more than 5K. He is not sure either what he wants. Like I said it would take well over 10K to build this car from scratch.

I am not sure what he has for Sway bar or trailing arms, I just no it has Eibach springs and aftermarket arms and sway bars in the rear. Still has Drum brakes though.

I actually like the wheels, he they make the car look mean. He put Impala wheels on it last year for about a week and it made it look tame, I talked him out of keeping the Impala wheels (and I love Impala wheels)

~HJ

drewsdeville
07-01-11, 12:54 AM
I was just going to suggest a similar value of $4500.

If one was gonna pay 10k for that, I'd just suggest they go look for a newer, better looking (subjective), unmolested, similar performing Marauder.

Stingroo
07-01-11, 12:56 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean.

Damn I actually really like that style Caprice hubcap. I can never find them decently priced though... (plus I've sworn off hubcaps forever - I drive too hard lol).

Also I noticed he left the home plate on? Weird. It's screaming for a chrome trim blackout, roof rack fillers, and new wheels.

The interior sounds like it's a canvas. :D

HAZZARDJOHN
07-01-11, 01:00 AM
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f36/DOlsen21/My%20Cars/IMG_3760.jpg

Here is the Impala wheels, and well it looked good, it just wasn't mean like his car should be.

On the home plate, He like it for some reason. It is modified and does nothing right now as he has a SSRI intake.

HAZZARDJOHN
07-01-11, 01:03 AM
Marauders suck, they are slow and they are dropping in price worse than a early 90's geo. They are slower than an impala and they have an unreliable OHC motor, they get worse gas mileage, and they are less attractive. This wagon will beat a marauder in every way, including gas mileage.

I almost bought one brand new right out of college, and I thank God I didn't go that route. I would buy a Blue one cause they are rare and that color is awesome though.

~HJ

drewsdeville
07-01-11, 01:18 AM
Now now, why all the hate? I don't care for either car, but I'd expect a guy interested in the Caprice to be able to appreciate something about the panther platform's performance flagship.

Slower? I'm not sure. I don't know the numbers, but I can't imagine the performance difference being great regardless of which is faster. The Marauder may be slow, but the Impala has to be right there with it. I'm pretty sure they are both 15 second cars, if that - nothing thrilling, but one isn't blowing the doors off the other.

You are definitely one of the first I've witnessed call Fords modulars unreliable. While they are large (physically) and heavy engines with relatively low power output, they have developed a reputation for their unmatched reliability and longevity, even in the trucks and Mustangs in 2V, 3V, and 4V configs. I'm not a Ford fan myself, but I can appreciate that. OHC does not = unreliability, if that's what you were getting at. They can take some abuse as well. The bottom ends are quite strong right out of the box and there are a number of people who are successfully running on a significant amount of boost and juice no problem.

As far as fuel mileage, again, I don't know the numbers, but like the performance it's probably right alongside the Impala, if not a hair better.

To each their own. If you don't like the car just because it doesn't tickle your fancy, that's great. But arguing facts like fuel consumption and performance between two cars that are so incredibly similar seems sort of moot to me.

But anyway, I guess my point was that if one was going to spend 10 grand on that type of car, it would probably make the most sense to spend the 10 grand on a newer car that's worth 10 grand (or closer to it), rather than overpaying for an older molested Caprice.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-11, 01:19 AM
I've heard about some pretty significant issues with that 4.6 Cobra 32v. engine. What's the matter with them?

The Marauder's DOHC 4.6 works great in the Mustang and Mark VIII, but in a 4200 lb boat, you want something with more low end power, and IIRC, the stall converter is set up so there is NO low end torque to get the tires spinning or out of the hole quickly. So right there, any LT1 B/D body will eat it up right away and it isn't until the Marauder is in the higher RPM's that it starts catching up.

Stingroo
07-01-11, 01:35 AM
Well, if the HP isn't functional I would probably leave it too. It IS pretty damn good at hiding a lot of wiring and such... lol

Jesda
07-01-11, 01:36 AM
I think the disappointment with the Marauder was that it showed up 7 years late to a party that was already over, and it didn't outperform its long-discontinued competitor, the Impala SS.

I like Marauders though, they just weren't that impressive on paper for 2003. But being newer than the 90s B/D-bodies would make it a nice used deal.

HAZZARDJOHN
07-01-11, 01:40 AM
I am not arguing, it is proven fact that the marauder is slower and gets worst gas mileage, 25 MPG out of an Impala, or 17 MPG out of a Marauder isn't exactly in the same league.

You are just an unhappy little man drew. I have never seen you post one thing that had a positive twist or impact on anybody. If there was any animosity in my post it was noticing your pointless reply, I see your name and I just assume you are going to say something annoying. I like B-body GM's Specifically Impala's and Roadmaster's. I wasn't looking for you to wax idiotic in my thread about Marauders.

~HJ

drewsdeville
07-01-11, 01:44 AM
I think the disappointment with the Marauder was that it showed up 7 years late to a party that was already over, and it didn't outperform its long-discontinued competitor, the Impala SS.

Definitely. I think it was just an attempt to draw some attention and enthusiasm to the dying platform - it wasn't meant to be a competitive car (is this what the Impala was supposed to do as well?). But, it never worked. Ford started thinning out the options lists on the panthers right after the Marauder left the lineup, and whole models began disappearing to civilians only 4 years later.

drewsdeville
07-01-11, 01:45 AM
I am not arguing, it is proven fact that the marauder is slower and gets worst gas mileage, 25 MPG out of an Impala, or 17 MPG out of a Marauder isn't exactly in the same league.

~HJ

Well, of course it doesn't work when you use the average mpg's for one and hwy mpg's for the other...

EDIT: a quick search on fueleconomy.gov puts the Marauder at 17mpgs and the Impala at 18mpgs, both averages. 1mpg difference is definitely in the same league.

Not trying to be negative here, just trying to give credit where credit is due. I'm actually DEFENDING a panther! :alchi:Doesn't happen often. Looking at the big picture, the Impala and Marauder are quite similar performers, and even have similar reputations and followings.

Playdrv4me
07-01-11, 06:38 AM
You are definitely one of the first I've witnessed call Fords modulars unreliable.

That caught my eye as well. Particularly after calling Chrysler transmissions reliable (and I have no doubt his have been), this sounded kind of weird to me.

Playdrv4me
07-01-11, 06:47 AM
I've heard about some pretty significant issues with that 4.6 Cobra 32v. engine. What's the matter with them?

The only problem I was aware of, of any significance with that engine family, was in the Navigator (and only the Navigator) 5.4L DOHC motor. Apparently there were problems with cooling of the cylinders at the far rear part of defective head(s). So you'd get this weird hot spot back there which would do various and sundry things to the head itself, and cause compression losses in those rear cylinders. It was a problem that would make itself known with just the very slightest idle vibration. On my 2003, this is what tipped me off, and a compression check confirmed it. The problem wasn't as immediately catastrophic as N* head-bolt failure, but required a replacement head, along with the requisite machine-work. Much like the N*, this would typically be a 4-5k job (I guess much of that being the actual part cost versus labor on the N*) at your friendly Lincoln dealer.

Of course, I traded mine for that white H2 as soon as I found out that it was failing. Eventually, Ford managed to massage out the same amount of HHP from the standard 5.4L Triton and dropped the DOHC version from the Navigator altogether in 2005.

Aside from this, I haven't heard anything all that alarming with the DOHC engine family. I certainly loved mashing the throttle in both my Continental (detuned) and Mark VIII LSC when I had them.

Jesda
07-01-11, 06:52 AM
That rear cylinder cooling issue wasn't limited to just the Navigator.

Playdrv4me
07-01-11, 07:01 AM
That rear cylinder cooling issue wasn't limited to just the Navigator.

Are you sure? The Navigator was the only one that had the 5.4L arrangement. I vaguely remember hearing that it affected the Aviator as well, but that truck used the 4.6L version of the motor, not the 5.4. Never heard of it affecting the Continental or Mark VIII at all.

slowstang305
07-01-11, 11:05 AM
Marauders suck, they are slow and they are dropping in price worse than a early 90's geo. They are slower than an impala and they have an unreliable OHC motor, they get worse gas mileage, and they are less attractive. This wagon will beat a marauder in every way, including gas mileage.

I almost bought one brand new right out of college, and I thank God I didn't go that route. I would buy a Blue one cause they are rare and that color is awesome though.

~HJ

They are slow compared to what? Unreliable compared to what? Less attractive compared to what? Those are all BS statements and you know it.

Aron9000
07-01-11, 11:39 AM
The lack of torque in the modular Ford motors(both the DOCH and SOCH 4.6) is maddening. I've driven a Maradaurer(stock) and that thing feels balls to the wall slow until you get above 20-30mph and into the powerband. Seriously you can't get the tires to spin unless you brake torque it. My LT1 will do a one wheel peel to 45mph just by standing on the gas from a dead stop and it will bark the tires on a 1-2 shift. The Caddy on paper isn't any faster than the Maradaruder, but the seat of the pants feel just blows it out of the water.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-11, 12:22 PM
I'm surprised by the lack of low end torque from my E-250's healthy 5.4L SOHC 2V V8. 250hp and 350 lb/ft is respectable, but it will NOT even squeak the rear tires, unless you're on dirt/gravel. Doesn't matter if it's full or empty, it just won't do it. The 5.3 and 6.0 Vortecs however, are much punchier than the Tritons, especially from a stop. Once the 5.4 is up and running, it moves along OK though.

What's funny is that with 302hp v. the LT1's 260, the Marauder isn't any quicker than the Impala.

Jesda
07-01-11, 03:07 PM
Are you sure? The Navigator was the only one that had the 5.4L arrangement. I vaguely remember hearing that it affected the Aviator as well, but that truck used the 4.6L version of the motor, not the 5.4. Never heard of it affecting the Continental or Mark VIII at all.

Its a known issue in the Cobras. It wouldnt stop me from buying one, but its something I'd look for.

johnny kannapo
07-01-11, 07:07 PM
A gas powered Dodge ram? It just has no appeal.

Stingroo
07-01-11, 09:23 PM
They are slow compared to what? Unreliable compared to what? Less attractive compared to what? Those are all BS statements and you know it.

I believe he said "an Impala".

I'll agree on the attractive part - but that's subjective.