: Hot Knob

EdmundGTP
06-28-11, 08:30 PM
Some of you guys might remember a thread or two about TWM performance billet shift knobs. I decided to buy and install one even though way back when I first saw them, I was more than a little concerned about how hot one of those might get during the summer months here in AZ. Of course anyone who's spent time here during the summer knows that anything that's outside for an extended time in the open summer sun gets HOT.

So here we are. Summer in AZ. And that knob gets F'n HOT!!!!!! So hot that I can barely, JUST barely keep my fingers on it long enough to complete a shift. But am I going to get rid of it? HELL no! It looks/feels too cool!! It is indeed a sweet knob, and it isn't going anywhere.. What I DID do, is enlist the fabric and thread handling skills of a work colleague of mine who specializes in creating and sewing up tactical soft goods as a side job. Told him I wanted a nice-fitting, suede cover for the shift knob so that the skin on my right hand could be spared the wrath of the hot knob.

I was still curious however just HOW hot things got out in the sun. The other day, my (black) V was parked out in the driveway for about 4 hours from 11 am till about 3 pm. I pointed an infrared temp sensor at the hood. Over 180 degrees F!!

Today I brought the temp sensor to work and checked the temp of the hot knob this afternoon.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Edmund944/IMG_0939.jpg

Damn near 150 degrees F! A bit of quick "google-ing" reveals that the average "pain tolerance" for heat on skin is about 130 degrees F.

So I put the knob cover on and took another reading.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j308/Edmund944/IMG_0940.jpg

Much more tolerable!!

Nothing really significant to contribute here.. Just a little story to share about my hot knob.

verywhitedevil
06-29-11, 10:35 AM
was thinking about a cover too. currently have to carry a hand towel in the car, so I can grab the damn knob. I feel your pain!!

I really wish my job just had covered parking.

Skidmarcx
06-29-11, 10:50 AM
LOL that's awesome... I'll eventually get a shift knob and that billet looks sweet! I have a pair of Gator billet sunglasses... damn things burn every time I put em on in the summer LOL

cam3439
06-29-11, 04:00 PM
Where did you get that shifter boot from?

chicoweb
06-29-11, 05:15 PM
One sweet suede hot knob condom!

EdmundGTP
06-29-11, 05:58 PM
redlinegoods.com is where I got the boot. twmperformance.com is where I got the knob.

JDB
06-30-11, 08:03 AM
That's what she said...

What knob options are there?