: Paint Peeling & Blistering

SamoyedStorm
06-28-11, 03:33 PM
Hi All,

This is my first post. Found a lot of great information on this site. Just wish my first post could be under better circumstances.
I own a 2007 Escalade EXT. The paint is peeling and blistering off my doors. I took it to a Caddy dealer in Edmonton, AB and all they say is its rock chips.

I have it in their body shop for other repairs. After removing my mudflaps, it was discovered that the paint is completely gone and the fenders are rusting out behind the mud flaps.

I have had 3 body shops (including the dealer I am at now) say that it is a factory paint defect. However, they won't repair it under warranty unless the service manager says that it is a defect. It is on file as being reported while my truck was under the 4yr/80K bumper to bumper warranty. The wife brought it in and was blown off by the service manager saying it was rock chips. Now he's trying to save face and stick to his story. As you can see in the photos, theres not even any primer, just bare metal. The circular pattern effect is from water.

I tried calling GM Canada and they won't even listen to me. The service rep wouldn't even provide me an email so I can send him the pictures. All he would say is that they go by what the service manager says.

If you look at the photos you will see what I am talking about. Basically as it was explained to me is that water is getting behind the paint, causing it to blister off. When the truck was painted at the factory the paint did not seal to the vehicle. There is no stopping it without a new paint job, which will cost me about $8000.

Has anybody else had these kind of issues? Anybody know whom I should contact regarding this? Im tired of being blown off by the dealer and GM Canada. You pay $80K for a vehicle and it rusts out in a couple of years. I have a 15 yr old caviler that has paint in better condition.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to get it off my chest I guess. I love my truck, but looking at a 8-10K paint job, it looks like I'm going to be forced to trade it.

Thanks for reading and any advice you can give me.

hannity
06-28-11, 05:13 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that. GM does have paint issues with their vehicles. I haven't had any rust issues but people have posted topics about rust by wheel wells and on the inside of the lift gate, but mostly the under carriage. For people with EXT's I've seen them complain about water getting inside the tailgate. That sucks what happened with your ride, it more than likely isn't rock chips and you are not the first to complain about this. gm's quality on vehicles as a whole is sub-par at best, juxtaposed to all other car manufacturers. So I doubt they would have paint standards for our 65k and up escalades above what it would be on chevy aveo which costs 15k. If your back is to the wall on this and it seems that way, I would contact a consumer lawyer. Or if you want to avoid the hassle and headache get out of the vehicle and into something else.

fivepix
06-28-11, 05:15 PM
Sorry about the issue you're having. Are you still under the warranty?

If you are still under warranty I would take it to another dealer and show him the rusted part under the mud flaps. keep looking until you find a GM dealer that would be willing to do it.

I had issues with the service manager at the dealership I bought my truck from, they didn't want to cover a fading/peeling issue on my window trim the service guy kept saying it was not covered and it was simply environmental. He took pictures to show the Service Manager and said they would get back to me. In the meantime I opened a case with Cadillac they contacted service manage but he apparently said it would not be covered under warranty, I later found out that he didn’t even see any of the pictures the service guy had taken, he just refused based on what he was told.

I was like f@k that guy and went to another Cadillac dealership in town. I actually went right to their body shop and spoke to their body shop manager, he had one look at the trim no questions asked booked and appointment and got the job done under warranty. So defiantly try a different dealer.

However if you no longer covered by warranty you might be out of luck. Try talking to the dealership manager not the service manager go over him, but don’t go crazy on the person just be respectful and calm, they might do something for you either cover the work or maybe even splitting on the cost.

Hopefully everything works out for you.

Big Windy Ext
06-28-11, 06:18 PM
Definitely go to another dealer . I had a similar issue on the tailgate/ lock area of my Suburban,the dealer I purchased it from was adamant that it wasn't rusted through . I took it to a Buick dealer for other service,I was griping about it and he said no problem we will take care of it . I had a 89 Bonneville SSE that the paint was coming off in sheets that GM covered at 80,000 miles for a $250.00 deductible because they had primer issues .

andre_outlaw
06-28-11, 09:48 PM
to me it's rock chips no doubt about it....

Most people wait a couple weeks before putting mud flaps on and by that time they already has some small rock chip, some you might no even see. then when the flaps go on they are a nesting place for rust to start.

SamoyedStorm
06-28-11, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the info folks. The mud flaps were put on when brand new so there wasn't a chance for rock chips to get on there. Rock chips alone I could live with, not paint coming off in giant blisters.

When I get the truck back I'm going to try another dealer. Unfortunately for me theres only one other in Edmonton. Next closest would be Calgary, which would be a 4 hour drive on top of the one to Edmonton.

It just angers me that other body shops, including the one I'm at say its a paint defect. One of those was even a GM dealer. However, they can't do the work because they are not a "Cadillac Franchise". The manager of the body shop I'm at now even says that it is a paint defect from the factory and should be covered under warranty. But the service manager won't listen to him, especially after he said it was rock chips before. Now he's trying to save face.

It looks like I'm going to have to trade it. Kinda sucks because I love the EXT. How do you trade down to something? Guess I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and get and SRT8 Grand Cherokee in Sept.

MrSplenda
06-29-11, 03:46 AM
Keep looking for a dealer that will work with you. Be firm, but always polite. If that doesn't work lawyer up, or turn it into insurance. It will not cost $8,000 to repaint the truck. Less than $4,000 actually. (They don't actually have to repaint everything and strip the car down to bare metal). I wish you luck man.

Zhariak
06-29-11, 09:04 AM
Hi All,

This is my first post. Found a lot of great information on this site. Just wish my first post could be under better circumstances.
I own a 2007 Escalade EXT. The paint is peeling and blistering off my doors. I took it to a Caddy dealer in Edmonton, AB and all they say is its rock chips.

I have it in their body shop for other repairs. After removing my mudflaps, it was discovered that the paint is completely gone and the fenders are rusting out behind the mud flaps.

I have had 3 body shops (including the dealer I am at now) say that it is a factory paint defect. However, they won't repair it under warranty unless the service manager says that it is a defect. It is on file as being reported while my truck was under the 4yr/80K bumper to bumper warranty. The wife brought it in and was blown off by the service manager saying it was rock chips. Now he's trying to save face and stick to his story. As you can see in the photos, theres not even any primer, just bare metal. The circular pattern effect is from water.

I tried calling GM Canada and they won't even listen to me. The service rep wouldn't even provide me an email so I can send him the pictures. All he would say is that they go by what the service manager says.

If you look at the photos you will see what I am talking about. Basically as it was explained to me is that water is getting behind the paint, causing it to blister off. When the truck was painted at the factory the paint did not seal to the vehicle. There is no stopping it without a new paint job, which will cost me about $8000.

Has anybody else had these kind of issues? Anybody know whom I should contact regarding this? Im tired of being blown off by the dealer and GM Canada. You pay $80K for a vehicle and it rusts out in a couple of years. I have a 15 yr old caviler that has paint in better condition.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to get it off my chest I guess. I love my truck, but looking at a 8-10K paint job, it looks like I'm going to be forced to trade it.

Thanks for reading and any advice you can give me.

Hi SamoyedStorm,

I'm in Calgary, the exact same thing is happening to my 08 ESV... In my case, I know that all the small dots (like in your pictures) are caused by rocks, but my larger patches of no-paint (on mine are WAY bigger than yours) were actually caused by something else, and I don't know what. I've mentioned it to the dealer, they couldn't do anything, and while I know it sucks, its kind of understandable...

In my case, all the large golf ball sized patches, started off bubbling underneath first, and then eventually exploded. As like yours, I have absolutely no rust where the patches are exposed. It's the weirdest thing ever considering the shit they use on our roads.

Keep us updated. I'm curious if you can get anything done.

Ever since I've gotten my vehicle, I've washed it every 2-4 days using a spray-pressure washer car wash. Never physically touched the paint. I'm thinking about repainting the entire vehicle to fix all those spots. On top of that, after the past year I now have to keep in mind replacing my rims since all are destroyed with rust. :(

hcvone
06-29-11, 10:10 AM
I have inspected many GM paint issues for them, can not say anything about this because I can not really tell anything from the pics, and I don't know much about the Canada trans system and what they use on their roads, but we have been seeing in states like Colorado their snow and ice fighting products will peel the chrome off many items, and if allowed to sit or be trapped in places on the paint it will damage that too, then there is the power plants and industry, if down wind from any of these things, and can be hundreds of miles away, this can cause paint isses over time too, and of course there is always the issue of how good the prep was on that truck the day it was built. It sucks when you are not in an area with several dealer choices

matthones
06-29-11, 10:55 AM
The only good thing is if you get a new paint job, you'll be able to get rid of the crappy orange peel job GM did and make it really shine!!!

NorthernHillbilly
06-29-11, 05:45 PM
In Alberta they quit using Salt, and use sand, and on some rural roads, a liquid calcium solution.
My paint is doing the exact same, and has been for quite some time. It's embarrassing to be driving such a high end vehicle, with paint missing. my front fenders are to the point I HOPE they rust through so that I can get them replaced under the 8 yr warranty.
I take great care to keep my truck clean, wash and chamois her at LEAST 3x a week, and detail the interior...and it makes me sick when I'm washing the the paint decides to leave.
I have a 1982 Crown Vic with original paint, and it looks better than this EXT.