: 86 FWB Cold Idle Problem

tbcaddy18
06-28-11, 12:02 AM
Hey all,

My 86' FWB with the stock 307 has been having some idling issue's for the past few months with cold and warm engine operation.
I eventually figured out my EGR valve was starting to go bad, so I replaced that and everything runs smoothly now with a warm engine, but I still have a rough idle during cold starts.

The engine will stall if I don't have my foot on the accelerator a bit for the first couple minutes. But after the couple minutes, it will idle fine.
...I don't think the choke is out of adjustment either, as it opens and closes properly by itself.

Also, I don't know if this is related (but I noticed this around the same time as when my cold idle issue started), but I've noticed that when I pull up onto my drive way and I let go off the accelerator pedal quickly it feels like the engine wants to stall out (this is with a fully warmed engine)...but it will quickly come back to normal rpm speeds...doesn't feel right though..
....could my IDC (idle load compensator) be going bad?...could this also affect cold idle starts?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tabz

sven914
06-28-11, 01:44 AM
I'd start checking for vacuum leaks; it'd probably be easier to just replace all the lines.

tbcaddy18
06-28-11, 11:22 PM
I'm pretty sure leak wise it doesn't have any as the vacuum lines were changed out a few months ago.

outsider
06-29-11, 10:32 AM
Never hurts to check again.

Also check that your choke is functioning correctly.

tbcaddy18
07-02-11, 02:45 AM
Okay, so I was going through checking the vacuum lines by pinching them to see if that would affect the RPM speed.

..long story short...there are a couple very short vacuum lines that connect to something called the "CCV" (shown on my emissions label) right in front of the carburetor...so either they are not fully sealed or tightly pushed in all the way.

So I was attempting to take the lines off to replace them and one of the smaller lines that fit onto a plastic socket on the top of the "CCV" thingy broke/snapped off.

So now I need to find a new "CCV". Does anyone know what this stands for?
...The top of that CCV read a number "82942"...tried searching around but can't find anything...

tbcaddy18
07-02-11, 03:16 AM
Got it, "Canister Control Valve". Thankfully they're still readily available online.

..on a side note though, I'm looking into replacing the Airhorn Gasket (top level of carburetor). Has anyone done this before?..pretty straight forward?

csbuckn
07-02-11, 10:55 AM
Getting the airhorn off is pretty easy, there are a lot of little pieces that hang from it so you won't be able to sit it down on a flat surface. I think you will be able to replace the float and TPS from there also.