http://www.gmnavdisc.com/

PhxTriode
06-27-11, 09:06 PM
Nice!

Thanks for posting

Tedboss1
06-28-11, 12:54 PM
I have stupid question:
Is the 2011 Nav Disk only for 2011 model year cars or is it applicable to all years of CTSV 2009 and up?

Before plunking $200 on this, did GM resolve all bugs as listed in this extensive thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/218361-cadillac-cts-2011-nav-disc-9.html

550HP STSV
06-28-11, 01:04 PM
i wonder if they have one for the STS.

PGA2B
06-28-11, 01:51 PM
i wonder if they have one for the STS.
No. We need the 20980238 that is used on the Corvette and Grand Prix.

550HP STSV
06-28-11, 02:18 PM
When is that nav disc going to get released jamie?

RippyPartsDept
06-28-11, 02:32 PM
The nav disc center has a toll free number you can call to inquire about lead times and other things (they'll even help you figure out how to use your nav unit if you have lost or can't figure out the manual)

as for what years the discs fit all you need to do is go to the site and plug in the car you have and the site will spit back results of all the discs they have available for your car

---

the bugs have been fixed that people were encountering ... if you read to the end of that thread multiple people reported successful installs of the new discs without the bugs that were present earlier in the year

JFJr
06-28-11, 02:44 PM
For those that install the 2011 disc, and previously had destinations saved in their address books, please let us know if you lost any saved destinations in your address book after installation.

Tedboss1
06-28-11, 03:20 PM
When I go to site and plug my car (2009 CTSV) I get the following choices:

2011 Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Navigation Disc 22790324 $199.99
2011 Gracenotes Media Database Update Nav Radio 25962370 $19.99
2011 Gracenotes Media Database Update HDD Radio 25962371 $19.99
2010 Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Navigation Disc 20904449 $199.99
2010 Gracenotes Media Database Update HDD Radio 25962369 $19.99
09 NAV DISC - JAPAN CTS/CTS-V 15226451 $247.00
2009 Cadillac CTS/CTS-V Navigation Disc 15226455 $199.99
09 NAV DISC - EUROPE CTS/CTS-V 15226450 $159.99
Which do I need to order?
2011 Cadillac CTS-V 22790324 or 2009 CTS-V Nav Disc. 15226455

RippyPartsDept
06-28-11, 04:50 PM
interesting that they're offering the 2010 and the 2009 disc for the same price that they're offering the 2011 disc.
the pricing may not have updated, but usually the older discs will be cheaper by $50 or $100
i would order the 2011 disc since it would have maps and POIs newer than the other discs
but just to be sure you should call into the nav disc center to get them to confirm

Tedboss1
07-04-11, 10:18 AM
Bump.

So what disk do I order for my 2009 CTSV sedan?

Razorecko
07-04-11, 12:35 PM
Bump.

So what disk do I order for my 2009 CTSV sedan?

2011. I installed my 2011 disc a couple weeks ago, kept my address book and destinations intact

Tedboss1
07-04-11, 12:56 PM
Razorecko.
Thanks.

RapidRob
07-04-11, 07:25 PM
Yeah - the 2011 disc has been available for awhile now. I installed the update back in January I think, no problems. Be advised that on a manual tranny 2009 V, the update causes the NAV screen to go up whenever I shift into reverse, but the screen is blank. I guess it thinks there is a rear-view camera installed ... ?

Rob

JFJr
07-05-11, 09:27 AM
Yeah - the 2011 disc has been available for awhile now. I installed the update back in January I think, no problems. Be advised that on a manual tranny 2009 V, the update causes the NAV screen to go up whenever I shift into reverse, but the screen is blank. I guess it thinks there is a rear-view camera installed ... ?

Rob

Has anyone else experienced this in their manual 2009?

MSOsr
07-05-11, 11:47 AM
Since you download the disc on your hard drive, I would think that there would be some second hand discs available cheap :cool:

Anyone?

Mike

ChasJr
07-05-11, 12:22 PM
Anyone care to split the cost of one??

RippyPartsDept
07-05-11, 01:05 PM
i'm pretty sure there's an access code that is locked into your VIN so you can't share discs

also, the issue with the screen popping up on cars that don't have the reverse camera should be fixed now - at least other members have verified that it has been fixed in recent installs of the 2011 disc

neuronbob
07-05-11, 05:41 PM

Rob

This is a known issue on a limited number of early-release 2011 navi discs. It was thoroughly reported on the regular CTS board months ago and there is a HUGE thread on the issue. You have to go to the dealer to have the navi reprogrammed to remove this problem. The problem has been resolved in later releases of the 2011 navi disc. I recently purchased a navi disc (it was on sale just before Father's Day for only $149 :) .....you guys need to check out the regular CTS board for stuff like this...). Haven't installed yet but don't anticipate any problems.

RapidRob
07-05-11, 07:25 PM
^^^ Thanks for the info. The screen going up doesn't bother me that much, but next time I'm at the dealer I'll ask em about it ...

Rob

GM-4-LIFE
07-05-11, 07:44 PM
Anyone care to split the cost of one??

If 10 of us chipped in, it would cost us nothing. Each of us update our cars and just mail it to the next guy in line. That is, if we can.

RapidRob
07-05-11, 10:53 PM
i'm pretty sure there's an access code that is locked into your VIN so you can't share discs

also, the issue with the screen popping up on cars that don't have the reverse camera should be fixed now - at least other members have verified that it has been fixed in recent installs of the 2011 disc

If 10 of us chipped in, it would cost us nothing. Each of us update our cars and just mail it to the next guy in line. That is, if we can.

Might be a little complicated to pull-off if what Rippy says is true - like if it's tied into the VIN or something ... ?

If it were possible to order and install a 2011 V2 back-up camera system on my 2009 V, that blank NAV screen during reverse would come in handy, I'm sure ..

Rob

neuronbob
07-05-11, 11:46 PM
If it were possible to order and install a 2011 V2 back-up camera system on my 2009 V, that blank NAV screen during reverse would come in handy, I'm sure ..

Rob

It is possible and has been done. Again, well-documented in the regular CTS forum. I posted the link in wait4me's thread about rear view camera. I am waiting for someone local to me to do it so I can have it done as well.

RapidRob
07-06-11, 12:03 AM
It is possible and has been done. Again, well-documented in the regular CTS forum. I posted the link in wait4me's thread about rear view camera. I am waiting for someone local to me to do it so I can have it done as well.

By, "local", are you referring to a dealer or shop, Bob? I don't hang out over in the reg. CTS forum much - seems like there is always plenty to read here. But it sounds like installing the rear-view system myself would be bit of a challenge for sure ... ?!

Rob

neuronbob
07-06-11, 07:42 AM
It would be a challenge for someone like me who hasn't done an audio install before, so yes, I'm waiting for a dealer or audio installer local to me to do it. OTOH, it might be worth my being a guinea pig as having a five-year-old motivates me greatly. It requires drilling in the license plate area to attach the new 2011 fascia as the mounting holes for the current one are not in the same place, then removing the front seat (for some) to route wires, then once plugged into our navi (which is already set up to allow this, believe it or not!) it requires a trip to the dealer to reset the navi. Then it works just fine, including the navi popping up automatically when in reverse. Me want!

chukk
07-07-11, 12:00 AM
I have the rear camera on my 2009, i.e., swapped out the rear assembly with a 2011. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't bother. The quality of the view sucks and there are not any guidelines on the screen because our screen/radio is different than the 2011 (at least that is what my dealer told me). My wife's Honda Odyssey's rear camera is 500% better than mine. I can see if a bike is directly behind, but otherwise, expect a washed out view with no guidelines to assist with backing into a space.

jzchen
10-18-11, 01:58 AM
There is some kind of password/code you need to enter, so I don't think anyone can share the disc either. I put a VIN in when I ordered my disc earlier this year. It may be a good idea for people who want to save money to wait until Father's Day, as I noticed they went on sale. (I could have saved I think about $50 dollars if I remember correctly. I'm going to try waiting next year!) I wish parts departments could give a good deal on these, because shipping was somewhat expensive, at least in my opinion.

RippyPartsDept
10-18-11, 09:53 AM
the dealers get charged the same as consumers ... there is no way for us to get a better price than you can on your own

sometimes last year's disc will be $99 after the current disc is released (if there are any of last year's disc still available)

FST DAD
10-18-11, 02:41 PM
There is some kind of password/code you need to enter, so I don't think anyone can share the disc either. I put a VIN in when I ordered my disc earlier this year. It may be a good idea for people who want to save money to wait until Father's Day, as I noticed they went on sale. (I could have saved I think about $50 dollars if I remember correctly. I'm going to try waiting next year!) I wish parts departments could give a good deal on these, because shipping was somewhat expensive, at least in my opinion.

I doubt there is anything linked to the vin. that would mean they couldn't mass produce any of the DVDs.. and they would have to burn them for each car. GM isn't going to want to manage that kind of crazy-ness. They probably burn 20k of these disks at a time, slap a product ID on it, and store to sell. They couldn't burn on demand a special version -- that would take a crazy amount of time and effort and human error.

RippyPartsDept
10-18-11, 04:20 PM
guys be careful what you say ... this kind of talk gets shut down by the mods whenever it pops up ... :rules:

also, there are some newer systems in the cadillacs that are tied to the VIN ... you have to enter a pin or other type of code to install the updated maps ... SRX 2010+ for sure uses this system ... i think the CTS 2008+ also does

CTSV12
10-18-11, 04:23 PM
It is almost criminal that there is a $200 charge for inferior data. The 2012 is delivered with maps that are 2 to 3 years out of date. My CTSV is missing a major road in our community that has been on Garmin maps for at least a couple of years and they sell a Nuvi with voice, voice recognition and superior function for $200 including lifetime map updates that are available every quarter. And, the fact the Garmin attorneys have figured out how to let the user acknowledge a waiver that allows the navigator to use the unit while the vehicle is in motion is a bonus. Wish the Garmin could be integrated into the dash so it would meet the one advantage of the GM - it looks pretty.

I reported the missing road, and my guess is that I will no longer own the car by the time I can purchase the update.

RippyPartsDept
10-18-11, 04:24 PM
oh, and the free updates for the nav system was for 2006 and 2007 models only. two free updates (some 2006 and 2007 owners are still able to get these unclaimed updates... there's another thread on that topic "free nav disc" or something like that)

Houdini
10-18-11, 05:58 PM
^pretty sure there was an expiration date on that 06/07 free update program and it is way expired/no longer valid.

RippyPartsDept
10-18-11, 06:09 PM
yes there was an expiration date, but many owners of 2006 and 2007 cadillacs (and other GM vehicles) are reporting success in getting a free disc

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/214218-free-2011-nav-disk.html

JimmyH
10-18-11, 06:11 PM
Yes, $200 is highway robbery, and GM and navteq (or whoever it is) should be utterly ashamed of themselves. It's ridiculous. And it's why I will never again buy a car with a built-in NAV (unless it's a used car and a great deal). I will stick with my portable Garmins.

But, that does not mean we are going to facilitate piracy on this forum. So next mention of it gets this thread locked. Thanks for you cooperation.

cts-v ls6
10-18-11, 10:45 PM
So would a navdisc update fix my 2010 V nav problem? Upon input of a destination, I am not able to chose between "fastest" or "shortest" on the route. The icons appear on the screen, but are not useable (i.e. It is stuck on "shortest" and when I touch "fastest" nothing happens). Wait4me told me in a previous post to take it to the dealer. So I called gmnavdisc first, and they suggested the same thing. My car has a tune and I told the dealer about it. The dealer called and said they would have to reflash the prom, and that would overwrite the tune. So they did nothing. But if I can get the problem solved with a navdisc update without a reflash, that's what I'll do. Any comments?

Thanks,

Jack

RippyPartsDept
10-18-11, 11:57 PM
Maybe. I don't know enough about the technicalities of the discs but I would think that it's possible.

You would at least have the new maps.

The tune shouldn't have anything to do with the nav software and the dealer shouldn't have to touch the PCM to fix this, though i guess that's also possible.

FST DAD
10-19-11, 01:33 AM
I'm mostly curious if the disk does more than nav-- which it sounds like it may. Does it enhance any of our blue tooth features? If so.. thats enough to make me buy it right away. How can they let ford have a way better Blue Tooth integration ? Anyone know if there is a link somewhere describing what it is exactly you are buying.. other then a new nav disk update? Or is that all that it is? Its one main computer that does Nav, XM, radio, MP3 management, so I wonder if its an update for the computer, or just map files for the computer to read. I say that because it it messes with stuff such as the backup camera for later models -- it does more then just nav IMHO -- that sounds like an software update to me.

Sorry Jimmy -- I know what your saying and I'm sorry about posting that ;) --

hifiaudio2
10-19-11, 11:09 AM
I'm mostly curious if the disk does more than nav-- which it sounds like it may. Does it enhance any of our blue tooth features? If so.. thats enough to make me buy it right away. How can they let ford have a way better Blue Tooth integration ? Anyone know if there is a link somewhere describing what it is exactly you are buying.. other then a new nav disk update? Or is that all that it is? Its one main computer that does Nav, XM, radio, MP3 management, so I wonder if its an update for the computer, or just map files for the computer to read. I say that because it it messes with stuff such as the backup camera for later models -- it does more then just nav IMHO -- that sounds like an software update to me.

Sorry Jimmy -- I know what your saying and I'm sorry about posting that ;) --

+1 to this question. I care little for nav updates... my Android phone has the best nav I have ever used and its "free" and constantly updated. But if the NAV disc enhances other functionality of the car that makes it worthwhile. Is there anywhere to see a list of enhancements?

RogersV
10-19-11, 11:19 AM
+1 to this question. I care little for nav updates... my Android phone has the best nav I have ever used and its "free" and constantly updated.

X2, The Android nav is tops, my 09 nav will get me lost every time.

jzchen
10-20-11, 08:47 PM
I doubt there is anything linked to the vin. that would mean they couldn't mass produce any of the DVDs.. and they would have to burn them for each car. GM isn't going to want to manage that kind of crazy-ness. They probably burn 20k of these disks at a time, slap a product ID on it, and store to sell. They couldn't burn on demand a special version -- that would take a crazy amount of time and effort and human error.

Well, I got a paper with the disc. It had an "activation code." (I don't remember the exact verbage.) I had to enter it on the nav screen to get it to install. Not too difficult in my mind to have it a one time use only...

jzchen
10-20-11, 08:51 PM
yes there was an expiration date, but many owners of 2006 and 2007 cadillacs (and other GM vehicles) are reporting success in getting a free disc

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/214218-free-2011-nav-disk.html

Yes, I called the navdisc center when I had an '06 STS series and I had forgotten to request a free update. They said you can get two anytime and it didn't have to be within the two next disc versions.

jzchen
10-20-11, 09:03 PM
Yes, $200 is highway robbery, and GM and navteq (or whoever it is) should be utterly ashamed of themselves. It's ridiculous. And it's why I will never again buy a car with a built-in NAV (unless it's a used car and a great deal). I will stick with my portable Garmins.

But, that does not mean we are going to facilitate piracy on this forum. So next mention of it gets this thread locked. Thanks for you cooperation.

My pockets are so much lighter nowadays. Now you've enlightened me as to why. I've been updating our '04 Sienna, '08 3 series, '09 C class, and now '10 V, almost dilligently every year. At least the disc is $199, not like the $249 I had to pay for the C class.

JimmyH
10-20-11, 09:06 PM
You can get a Garmin for $100. One free update (I wait a year to register it, then get my free update) and subsequent updates are $60. Or you sell it on ebay for $20, and go buy a new garmin, with better technology and current map for $100. Win.

jzchen
10-20-11, 09:19 PM
You can get a Garmin for $100. One free update (I wait a year to register it, then get my free update) and subsequent updates are $60. Or you sell it on ebay for $20, and go buy a new garmin, with better technology and current map for $100. Win.

I'm going to have to hide this post from the family, they might ring my neck! (Thanks for the info though! I didn't realize they were going for that little now...)

JimmyH
10-20-11, 11:14 PM
Not all of them. Just the low end ones. But I don't need one with bluetooth, realtime traffic, and a coffee maker.

FST DAD
10-21-11, 01:36 PM
Well, I got a paper with the disc. It had an "activation code." (I don't remember the exact verbage.) I had to enter it on the nav screen to get it to install. Not too difficult in my mind to have it a one time use only...

I'm not sure how it would technically activate as a one time usage -- there isn't any 2way network access in the car from what I know.

-- I still want to know if anyone that has got the disk can report any enhanced features.

JimmyH
10-21-11, 02:01 PM
I think the activation code is tied to the vin. It won't work on any other vin but the one the code is tied to.

RippyPartsDept
10-21-11, 02:13 PM
It's decoding the activation code to match the VIN ... this is a strategy employed to cut out the piracy of the discs ... it also cuts out the second hand market for the discs

i'm pretty sure the discs are all the same but the radio checks the activation code against the VIN to make sure the disc is not pirated ...

if the disc is pirated you will not have the code to put in ... and if you use the code from another vehicle it won't match your vin

JimmyH
10-21-11, 03:36 PM
yet another reason to go Garmin :D

jzchen
12-18-11, 10:06 AM
Just wanted to let people know that there is a sale for US orders, $50 off, at gmnavdisc.com until Dec 22.

Qnsryck
12-18-11, 07:26 PM
FYI, I went to order the updated disc for my 09 V and my wife's 09 Suburban and I only had to enter the VIN for the V, not the Suburban.

RippyPartsDept
12-19-11, 10:22 AM
that's because the V (and other second Gen CTS vehicles) use a more secure style of Nav software that requires you to input a code to load the update.

This cuts down on piracy while also cutting out the second hand market.

The suburban's nav software is not that 'advanced'...

Tedboss1
12-19-11, 04:49 PM
Just ordered 2011 disk.
With Shipping and & Handling via UPS Worldwide Express Saver: $39.45 + Tax: $9.47
Order total came to: $198.91

Fireverm
12-19-11, 11:58 PM
Just ordered 2011 disk.
With Shipping and & Handling via UPS Worldwide Express Saver: $39.45 + Tax: $9.47
Order total came to: $198.91

Anybody else feel the price for the update is absurd? I'm not saying that 200 bucks in of itself is way too much money to spend for something on our Vs, far from it. But 200 bucks just for a Nav update, to what I consider to be crap software, is highway robbery.

I'd happily pay twice this a year to dump this terrible Nav we have and go with a built-in Google maps plus wireless connection setup similar to what Audi is doing.