: Damn I love my V! Road trip report

neuronbob
06-26-11, 09:37 PM
My wife, 5-year-old, and I took a quick day trip from Cleveland to Buffalo yesterday to visit relatives. A few comments:

After the trip, I was just a touch under 27k miles, and I have owned the car since new, delivered with 4 miles on it.

1. Gas mileage over the 193-mile trip from my house to my destination was 20.2 mpg, driving in the upper 70's the entire way other than a couple of construction areas, climate control on. This is on good non-ethanol 93 gas from my local neighborhood Shell. RPMs were kept 2000-2100. If I'd kept it to 65-70, I would have hit 22-24 mpg easily.

I refilled on the way back even though I had about 3/8 tank left and would have made it back to the exurbs of Northeast Ohio before having to gas up. BIG MISTAKE. I filled with Sunoco 93 at a gas station on the Thruway, but apparently New York State likes the 10% ethanol thing. Mileage suffered greatly--down to 17.8 mpg. Booooooo ethanol!

2. Comfort/Interior. I kept the car's suspension in "Sport" on both legs as this is how I usually drive. The car was just smooooooth on all forms of pavement, and even on rough patches was fairly compliant. When I needed the car to handle assertively, it was like a scalpel....Point steering wheel, immediately movement in the desired direction. That made for more entertaining driving from my standpoint and it was enjoyable compared to the 2700 mile round-trip we did three weeks ago in the Mommymobile (e.g. not the V).

I have the regular seats and they were just fine for this kind of travel. Wife didn't complain about butt or back soreness, either. +1 for the regular seats! Spent almost six hours in them yesterday (just under 3 hours out and back).

I am so glad I swapped mufflers and am running the Corsas. No drone sound=more wonderful LSA engine noise at speed. That certainly added to the comfort.

3. Inclement weather handling. It rained on the outbound leg of the trip. I have always been impressed at how stable this car handles in all conditions. All I can say is that the PS2s rock. I have an extra set in the garage for when these guys finally wear out. I'm not sure whether the weight of the car or the amount of contact patch have much to do with the inclement weather handling, but the car handled the same in the rain as in the dry. I mean, exactly the same. I notice this during the winter on winter tires as well. I suppose it's a good thing, right?

In any case, I love this car for road trips and have a couple more planned for various times during the summer. It is truly a four-door "Grand Tourer" and it's a wonderful place to have spent six hours yesterday.

JimmyH
06-26-11, 09:55 PM
no ethanol? you are teh lucky. There is no gas available in IL without ethanol. I remember years ago when I had my 92 Saturn (shows you how long since I have been able to get gas without ethanol) I used to get +3 mpg or more without ethanol.

Caddy Wagon
06-26-11, 10:14 PM
Good to hear! I fill up with No Ethanol 93 at a station local to me as well. It's hard to find anymore. This station is old school and doesn't have pay at the pump either, you have to go in and pay before you fill up. When I've had to fill up other places with 10% ethanol gas, there is definitely a noticeable decrease in gas mileage.

550HP STSV
06-26-11, 10:15 PM
Please tell me where within 2 hours of Cleveland you can find ethanol-free gas. because myself and many coworkers and friends find NOTHING ethanol-free for HOURS. as also proven by this website:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

dvandentop
06-27-11, 12:44 AM
nice thanks for the non ethanol station listing

550HP STSV
06-27-11, 08:44 AM
no problem friends

Razorecko
06-27-11, 09:01 AM
ethanol effects your mpg but does it affect the octane/timing ability ?

JimmyH
06-27-11, 12:51 PM
I would think it does. I believe ethanol contains only 70% or so the amount of energy as a comparable amount of gasoline. As an aside, it also requires more energy to produce. But, it's a domestic fuel, where gasoline is not. That's the only saving grace. If you want to look at it that way.

neuronbob
06-27-11, 05:03 PM
Please tell me where within 2 hours of Cleveland you can find ethanol-free gas. because myself and many coworkers and friends find NOTHING ethanol-free for HOURS. as also proven by this website:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH

Will be verifying in less than an hour when I finish work and have to gas up. I don't recall any big stickers (required I thought by law) indicating "10% ethanol" at this particular station, which is one reason I've stuck with them. If it does turn out to be a 10% ethanol station, then maybe I got bad, or under-rated gas on the Thruway. *shrugs*

Thanks for the listing, BTW. That will come in handy the next time I do a cross-country trip, which will be sometime this summer.

Prof
06-27-11, 05:38 PM
I had the same idea from the day I became the owner of a V2. I grabbed my 38 year old son, and we did the road trip thing...what a rush! To San Diego, and back to Wadsworth, IL...but that wasn't enough...this past Christmas my wife and I jumped into the V2 and drove to our place in Marathon, FL with Areo Space our 70 lb "hound from the pound". This vehicle is probably killing the airlines!

550HP STSV
06-28-11, 09:55 AM
Still waiting to hear where I can get ethanol free gas in cleveland....

neuronbob
06-28-11, 04:05 PM
No ethanol stickers/signs at my preferred Shell station. I walked around looking for them while my car was filling up last night. Not a one.

So either this station gets no/low ethanol gas or they don't advertise that they use ethanol'd fuel (which I'd have a huge problem with). I wish there was an easy way of verifying by testing the fuel.

Miles + Northfield.

Umrswimr
06-28-11, 04:40 PM
400 miles in sport mode?

I like sportscars, but a road trip is begging for tour mode, mate!

550HP STSV
06-28-11, 05:56 PM
miles and northfield... what city is that?

neuronbob
06-28-11, 05:59 PM
miles and northfield... what city is that?

You must be a West-Sider. :) That's in North Randall, near the (dead) Randall Park Mall.

400 miles in sport mode?

I like sportscars, but a road trip is begging for tour mode, mate!

It felt just fine! :thumbsup: The wife didn't complain, either, and she's put up with some rough suspensions in some of my past rides.

thebigjimsho
06-29-11, 05:46 PM
I'm renting a CTS whilst my V is at Lindsay. The base seats don't hurt, but they are insufficient in support. And I feel like I would snap my shoulder blades in a rear end collision...

MacMuse
06-29-11, 09:32 PM
No ethanol stickers/signs at my preferred Shell station. I walked around looking for them while my car was filling up last night. Not a one.

So either this station gets no/low ethanol gas or they don't advertise that they use ethanol'd fuel (which I'd have a huge problem with). I wish there was an easy way of verifying by testing the fuel.

Miles + Northfield.

1 reply, 2 answers...

Did you notice this link on the pure-gas.org site? http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

And there they claim that Ohio does NOT require Ethanol warning stickers. And it sounds like they can help with the fuel testing issue too.

Sorry.

neuronbob
06-29-11, 10:37 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH. Ethanol suuuuuuucks. I think the farmers should just sell their excess corn internationally rather than decreasing my gas mileage for political gain.

Thanks a lot for the link. I'm planning on buying one of those fuel test kits. Much to learn here.

Pisses me off that backwards Ohio doesn't require Ethanol tank labeling. Makes me want to go to my legislator and gripe.

thebigjimsho
06-29-11, 11:56 PM
I was thinking a 3mpg difference from ethanol to non was a bit excessive...