: Bad news for Shell MasterCard holders...

928S
06-26-11, 03:31 PM
Shell Platinum Select MasterCard credit card issuer Citibank has announced that after July 26 their current rewards program (5% cash rebate, >15¢ per gallon lately, on all Shell gasoline purchases, no minimum) will be terminated and replaced with a new rewards program requiring minimum Shell gasoline purchases of $500 per month to earn a miserly 10¢ per gallon rebate (hmm...I don’t buy $500 worth of gasoline per month, so I’ll stop using my Shell MasterCard as soon as currently earned but unpaid rebates are credited to my account).

Just curious...does anyone know of a better or perhaps "the best" top-tier gasoline discount/rebate program out there and available in the U.S.???

GrayGhost
06-27-11, 11:48 AM
This site shows all current credit card offers and you can search by the type of rewards you are looking for.

www.creditcards.com

JimmyH
06-27-11, 05:07 PM
I use Discover Open road. I don't know the rate, but I get about a hundred dollars a year in cashback bonus I think. Of course, my gas card was over $8k last year....

Submariner409
06-27-11, 06:49 PM
I use a Shell/Citi card and the rebates were great. As soon as I get the last $34 rebate (it only comes in $25 chunks) the card gets canceled. I got my notice yesterday. Back to sticking the BoA debit card in the pump............

Stingroo
06-27-11, 06:54 PM
A lot of places here have that stupid cash/credit pricing crap going on. I use cash for gas.

drewsdeville
06-27-11, 07:09 PM
^^^ Agreed., To me, over-analyzing fuel prices takes more effort than the savings are worth. My gas gauge and daily route determines when/where I fill up - not a marketing ploy. The gas station that's in a convenient location wins my loyalty. Whether or not it's a few pennies difference in price is irrelevant to me.

Stingroo
06-27-11, 07:25 PM
I live in a weird area for gas. The Texaco station at the end of my street is currently at 3.63 a gallon.

If I travel one block North, two stations (a Sunoco and Cumberland Farms) are both at 3.51.

Silly Texaco.

Aron9000
06-27-11, 07:30 PM
I agree to a point Drew. I won't drive all over town looking for the cheap fuel, but gas can vary as much as $0.40 a gallon depending on what side of town you're on where I live. So I always make it a point to fill up near my house, where I know the gas is the cheapest.

ThumperPup
06-27-11, 07:30 PM
looks like the gove is cracking down on percents that they can charge back to merchants on credit cards to now
this is why they dont give rewards on debit cards anymore or atleast why they will stop mid to late july
now they are doing it with credit cards just they are charign you twice what you get back in rewards instead of giving you back less lol

i let my shell car expire years ago
just let my chase expire also
now im only using my capital one and my Amex

Submariner409
06-27-11, 07:37 PM
^^^ Agreed., To me, over-analyzing fuel prices takes more effort than the savings are worth. My gas gauge and daily route determines when/where I fill up - not a marketing ploy. The gas station that's in a convenient location wins my loyalty. Whether or not it's a few pennies difference in price is irrelevant to me.

Nice try - but no analysis was needed: For Shell 87, 5% of $3.60 is $.18. When you're filling a 27 gallon truck, that 18 cents a gallon adds up to over $4.00. Convenience ?? Get a life - Shell stations are everywhere on the East Coast. Two within 2.6 miles of me - one eastbound, one westbound.............and I can still use a debit card for the Shell $.05 off/gallon on Thursdays.

drewsdeville
06-27-11, 07:48 PM
Uh...them panties, they are all bunched up again.

It's great you have shell stations everywhere on the east coast and it's great you don't over-analyze. However, I never referenced you in my post. Also last time I saw a map of the US my daily route in WISCONSIN were not on the east coast. Don't believe me? Take a look:

http://hua.umf.maine.edu/Chinese/maps/us_map.gif

FWIW, Speedway dominates the Milwaukee metro area. Rarely is a Shell station convenient for me. But, like Shell and every other supplier, Speedway also has it's own reimbursement programs.

A map and trifocals - buy them, quickly.

chatsworth
06-27-11, 08:06 PM
Kroger gives $.10 off for every $100 bucks in groceries you buy. Up to a dollar. Pretty nice getting $.20 a gallon off every fill up.

928S
06-27-11, 08:16 PM
GrayGhost,

Thanks, but the linked website does not include any dedicated oil-company-sponsored rebate credit cards. http://www.creditcards.com/gas-cards.php

(http://www.creditcards.com/gas-cards.php)Shell and ExxonMobil are the two largest chain retailers of Top Tier™ gasoline. As mentioned above, Shell is making a draconian cut in their credit card rebate program (Dodd-Frank Law fallout?); and Shell is not accepting new applications at this time. http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/exmbl/exmb_mstr.jsp#

(http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/exmbl/exmb_mstr.jsp#)On the other hand, I found that ExxonMobil continues to offer a relatively generous 15¢ per gallon rebate on credit card gasoline purchases, no minimum. After collecting my remaining 5% rebates, this longtime loyal Shell customer might consider switching to ExxonMobil. http://www.citibank.com/us/cards/exmbl/exmb_mstr.jsp

JimmyH,

FWIW... Discover Open Road rebates 2% for gasoline purchases...that's only about one-half of the ExxonMobil rebate amount.

Stingroo
06-27-11, 08:45 PM
Kroger gives $.10 off for every $100 bucks in groceries you buy. Up to a dollar. Pretty nice getting $.20 a gallon off every fill up.

Winn-Dixie has something like that down here in FL. Five cents for every $50 you spend, and I don't think there's a limit. It's pretty sweet.

Also @ drew: Speedway? Holy shit I haven't seen one of those in like, 15 years. Probably more.

928S
06-27-11, 09:03 PM
Too bad that Kroger and Winn-Dixie do NOT sell GM/Cadillac-recommended clean-burning Top Tier™ gasoline (http://Top Tier™ gasoline).

Stingroo
06-27-11, 09:06 PM
The rewards program, at least for WD, isn't for their own gas stations (they don't have them). It's actually for Shell. That extra 20-25 cents off is pretty nice.

928S
06-27-11, 09:20 PM
The rewards program, at least for WD, isn't for their own gas stations (they don't have them). It's actually for Shell. That extra 20-25 cents off is pretty nice.

Wow, that's great!

We lived in Clearwater Beach area (Sand Key) and shopped Winn-Dixie stores years ago...maybe it's time to move back to Florida...lol

orconn
06-27-11, 09:30 PM
Winn-Dixie has something like that down here in FL. Five cents for every $50 you spend, and I don't think there's a limit. It's pretty sweet.

Also @ drew: Speedway? Holy shit I haven't seen one of those in like, 15 years. Probably more.

Five cents off for $50.00 in groceries sounds like a deal to me, especially considering I don't even have to put on shoes or a shirt to buy those groceries. Well shute, with these kind of incentives I might even move further South and let my hair grow into a mullet and put a "Redneck Yacht Club" sticker on my bumper and find that guy that makes Corvette pickups!

Stingroo
06-27-11, 09:34 PM
What exactly are you on about, orconn?

orconn
06-27-11, 09:54 PM
Sorry, Roo, guess the barbeque and baked beans I had for dinner and the nmae Winn-Dixie gave me flashbacks!

ThumperPup
06-27-11, 09:56 PM
i used to use getco every 50 dollars i spend in the grocery i get 10cent of per gallon
in the x-mas holiday time its .20 cents for every 50
ill still use them but maybe like ones every 6 or 7 months when i have enought to get a free tank
because they use cheap gas

speedway i don't like them i feel the last 2 times i used there gas i think it even made my fuel leve sensor screw up again from there bad gas but i cant blame them for for sure cause i don't know but i wont ever use them again thats for sure
and i have 21,000 ponints at speedway i could get a good discount on fuel there every fill up but im not going to use them for free drinks and snacks eveyr now and then

im sticking to Shell BP Exon Marathon and any station that has E free fuels for now atleast those are the ones i am near most of the time

Stingroo
06-27-11, 09:56 PM
It appears to me that you are implying that Winn Dixie is a grocery store for rednecks.

I do not understand this.

Submariner409
06-27-11, 10:15 PM
.............probably never grocery shopped at a Piggly Wiggly either............

Submariner409
06-27-11, 10:26 PM
Uh...them panties, they are all bunched up again.

Poor baby............your ox was gored yet again. You're such an amateur.............never mentioned Speedway, never mentioned Wisconsin - stated that the Shell presence on the East Coast is pretty dense. (Burn cheese ???) Spoke specifically about Shell and availability - again, in my situation, no analysis was needed.

drewsdeville
06-27-11, 10:46 PM
Nice try - blah blah blah the blah sand it blah blah itches

Sorry bro, just got confused about my "nice try"

http://www.nydailynews.com/img/2008/10/04/amd_palin-wink.jpg

Jesda
06-27-11, 11:07 PM
Wisconsin? Of course they don't have Shell stations. When the heck did moose need gas?

Jesda
06-27-11, 11:08 PM
It appears to me that you are implying that Winn Dixie is a grocery store for rednecks.

I do not understand this.

That's been my genuine impression. Not because of what they are, but because of the region.

Plus, there's Dixie in the name!

ThumperPup
06-27-11, 11:47 PM
i dont know i enve been in a win dixie before
how ever the IGA that is near a friends house is for red necks i know this LOL

orconn
06-28-11, 12:20 AM
.............probably never grocery shopped at a Piggly Wiggly either............

No, but I saw a Piggly Wiggly in the movie "Steel Maganolias"

I have to admit, my knowledge of things "Deep Southern" has been gained from literature and the movies and not from personal experience.

Stingroo
06-28-11, 12:22 AM
Florida really isn't the deep South. Geographically, yes. Culturally and otherwise? Not at all.

orconn
06-28-11, 12:44 AM
Florida really isn't the deep South. Geographically, yes. Culturally and otherwise? Not at all.

Yeah, the parts of Florida where I have been were one genration removed from either Brooklyn or Habana. I am sure there are other parts as well, but to those of us with limited experience in "the South" the name "Winn-Dixie" conjures up "Dueling Banjos" and Bert Reynolds in "Stroker Ace!"

Jesda
06-28-11, 01:10 AM
And pulled pork.

Thinking of the south makes me hungry.

Stingroo
06-28-11, 01:35 AM
Pulled pork is f*cking delicious.

I must have some now. Damn you, Jesda.

Fun fact: the family that started Winn Dixie is from Jacksonville, FL and have donated quite a lot of money to my university. The College of Business is named after them, as well as the Student Commons area that houses a restaurant, campus activities, and a few other offices.

Playdrv4me
06-28-11, 03:55 AM
I watched a movie once called "Because of Winn-Dixie" about some kick ass dog.

Anyway, my stint(s) in FL were interesting. The cities themselves are VERY metropolitan and may as well be New York or the Caribbean depending on where you go. It's the outer lying country regions of FL where you get the redneckery.

brandondeleo
06-28-11, 04:31 AM
I only get gas at Shell/76/Chevron. There are 2 Chevron stations in Ellensburg, one 2 miles from the other across town. The one on my end of town is ALWAYS 3 cents less at least. In the northwest, Shell stations are teaming up with Fred Meyer (wannabe overpriced walmart supercenter) and you can redeem fred meyer rewards points for 10 cents off per gallon at shell. I use my stepdad's... Lol.

ThumperPup
06-28-11, 08:48 AM
now all this talk you gusy got about pulled pork darn im heading to hoggys for lunch yall are ruining my diet lol

Rodya234
06-28-11, 09:38 AM
I watched a movie once called "Because of Winn-Dixie" about some kick ass dog.

Because of Winn-Dixie was originally a book, which I had to read in like, 5th grade. I think about that book every time someone mentions Winn-Dixie :bouncy:

Submariner409
06-28-11, 10:39 AM
Being a Marylander, my Southern indoctrination came from 3 submarine duty tours during which I was stationed in Charleston, SC. About as "south" as it gets.

The Florida thing about not being deep south - true. Florida was always a destination for New England snowbirds to get to after driving through Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Georgia - nobody actually stopped in those states except for food, gas, or a motel. There used to be a large billboard at the GA/FL border on Rt.17: "Keep Florida green - Bring money !!!"

GrayGhost
06-28-11, 12:11 PM
I use cash for gas.

While I don't use a dedicated gas station card, I use my Mastercard with cash back for gas and other purchases and pay off every month. I got over $400 cash back last year, which I wouldn't have gotten using cash...and no extra fees because no interest charges and no annual fee. Also, credit card offers extra warranty protection that you don't get with cash. Not all credit card companies are evil...just most of them. lol

Stingroo
06-28-11, 12:36 PM
Warranty protection? What, it guarantees that the gas will power your vehicle? :suspect:

orconn
06-28-11, 01:00 PM
I only get gas at Shell/76/Chevron. There are 2 Chevron stations in Ellensburg, one 2 miles from the other across town. The one on my end of town is ALWAYS 3 cents less at least. In the northwest, Shell stations are teaming up with Fred Meyer (wannabe overpriced walmart supercenter) and you can redeem fred meyer rewards points for 10 cents off per gallon at shell. I use my stepdad's... Lol.

How very nice for you!

JimmyH
06-28-11, 05:55 PM
JimmyH,

FWIW... Discover Open Road rebates 2% for gasoline purchases...that's only about one-half of the ExxonMobil rebate amount.

I dont patronize Mobile. Or Shell. Or BP. Or Citgo. I fill up twice/week at Speedway. I also have a speedy rewards card with about 40000 points so far. I still have no idea if that entitles me to a $100 gift card or a free pop.

brandondeleo
06-29-11, 06:49 AM
How very nice for you! I sense sarcasm. :histeric:

MacMuse
06-29-11, 11:59 AM
...about 40000 points so far. I still have no idea if that entitles me to a $100 gift card or a free pop.

44 of any of these:
Any Size Coffee or Hot Specialty Beverage
Any Size Fountain
Speedy Freeze or Speedy Tea
Any Roller Grill Item
20oz Enon Springs Water

-- or --

32 from any of these:
Pleasant Hill Ovens Pastry
Any King Size Candy
7UP 2-liter
Any Hot Sandwich or Speedy Snack
Nachos
PowerBar Pure and Simple
Wrigley Five Rain Gum
Shockwave 16oz Energy Drink
Shockwave Energy Shots
Slice of Pizza

Perhaps you prefer 2 of either of these:
Microsoft Xbox 1,600 Pts
$20 Sony PlayStation Gift Card

http://www.speedway.com/SpeedyRewards/RedeemPoints.aspx

Oh wait - You can get 22 Slim Jim Monsters! (or maybe just 20 and get some wipes for the car seats)

OffThaHorseCEO
06-29-11, 01:39 PM
so 1000 is worth about a dollar