: Cadillac missing a basic feature :(

Kuya
06-26-11, 12:55 PM
One thing I always do with a car, is keep it in mint/showroom condition. I love picking up a friend, family, guest . . . and showing off my car. Even 5 years old, it will look as if I just bought it last week.

So, I went out and purchased a nice chargeable car vacuum. First, I will say it does a GREAT job. Really got my floor mats and rugs looking perfect. But, alas, half way through the vacuum charge ran out (because I was using an electric attachment that uses more power).

No problem . . the Caddy must have an outlet right? It's a Caddy for pete's sake. And it is the Premium model SRX . . so if anything this should have one. Even my parents Chrysler Town and Country has one and so did their previous one 4 years ago.

I was saddened to find that Caddy put "4" cigarette lighter outlets inside and NO regular outlets.

In this day and age . . that is just silly. a BIG overlook. Nobody buying a 2010 - 2012 CADILLAC should have to go buy a converter to plug something in. So many cars have already done away with the lighters and gone with regular outlets . .

Needless to say . . my car is half vacuumed and the vacuum is back inside recharging.

Was hoping I could just keep the vacuum in the SRX and plug it in when I need to use it. . . oh well. Maybe the 2012's will have this option . . . .

stevec5375
06-26-11, 02:36 PM
What do you mean by "regular outlets" ?

sube5186
06-26-11, 02:45 PM
I agree with you. This feature should have been included. However, there are a few features I would place much higher on my list. The top five are safety related, which I always place above luxury or convenience features. Anything that can help avoid an accident is always a priority.

1. Blind Spot Detection*
2. Adaptive (Radar guided) Cruise Control
3. Collision Warning System
4. Lane Departure Warning
5. Heads-Up Display*
6. Bluetooth Streaming (with the premium audio system)
7. HD Radio

* These have already been on Buicks for a few years now. Why would they put these features on another GM line and not include them on their flagship brand? :hmm: Makes absolutely no sense at all to me. The only explanation would have to be cost reduction.

Sube

sube5186
06-26-11, 02:50 PM

He means AC outlets. In a car this is basically a built-in power inverter, which converts 12V DC to 120V AC, like a regular power outlet in your home. Most electrical appliances don't come with a 12V power adapter. Those devices could simply be plugged in just like they would be in your house.

Sube

Kuya
06-26-11, 03:58 PM
Thank you Sube for clearing that up . . . I should have been more clear . . I am not "handy man inclined" lol.

He means AC outlets. In a car this is basically a built-in power inverter, which converts 12V DC to 120V AC, like a regular power outlet in your home. Most electrical appliances don't come with a 12V power adapter. Those devices could simply be plugged in just like they would be in your house.

Sube

Kuya
06-26-11, 04:00 PM
I could not agree more . . . with the Blind Spot Detection!!! I have a very hard time seeing vehicles in my left side blind spot. My first few weeks in the car . . . I nearly caused my own share of accidents. Now I am pretty used to it.

Didn't mean to put the AC outlet above safety . . just was kinda shocked that something this basic was not a feature in a Caddy

stevec5375
06-26-11, 04:29 PM

Sube

I've seen plug-in power inverters at places like Best Buy. I would imagine a lot of people don't need built-in inverters and therefore avoid the extra cost. Seems like a lot of usage of a power-inverted outlet could quickly drain a battery, but I'm just guessing.

sube5186
06-26-11, 07:59 PM
VW just developed an "Auto Pilot" feature. It combines both adaptive cruise control and Lane Assist into one function. Utilizing cameras, ultrasonic sensors, a laser scanner and an electronic horizon, it semi-automatically drives your car at speeds up to 80 m.p.h.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20074113-48/volkswagens-temporary-auto-pilot-will-drive-your-car-up-to-80-mph/?tag=cnetRiver

Yes, I'd say we have a ways to go in the technology department.

In spite of this, personally I'd never buy a VW. They are known to be problematic. I was just making a point about some of the technological advances out there.

Sube

JimmyH
06-26-11, 08:21 PM
Um....extension cord. They are pretty cheap these days and provide considerably more current than a car battery.

Kuya
06-26-11, 09:38 PM
Umm gosh . . oh geee. . .why didn't I think about that!

Thanks for the advice . . . really.

Ok again . I am just saying it is a modern convenience. Many many cars already have the AC outlet for years now. It's nothing new. There is no need to run a long extension out to the car for 15 minutes just to vacuum. Furthermore, I live on the second floor of an upscale apt complex. Running a cord out the window and across the lot . . . gosh oh gee . . why didn't I think of that one!

Um....extension cord. They are pretty cheap these days and provide considerably more current than a car battery.

JimmyH
06-26-11, 09:48 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MA0mdyk4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Inverter-Emergency-Battery-K38022US/dp/B000VE8FU2

Smokin' SRX
06-26-11, 11:17 PM
Gotta say I miss the 110V outlet that my Enclave CLX had. It only put out about 150 watts of power so a big TV or power drill would not work, but we used it for a cell phone and MP3 device, that only came with a 110V house charger. If I recall, it only worked when the engine was running. Still very convenient.

I have the Blind Spot warning on my new Yukon Denali, and it works if you use your signal lights! ( I do) Sometimes very annoying in tight traffic where you're trying to merge....

SUBE, I'm not sure I want the other stuff with exception of Heads UP Display as your eyes stay on the road ahead and that's why the other stuff seems unneeded to me. But I guess Lane Departure/Collision warning is good if you get drowsy. I plan and make every effort to avoid it, but we've all unexpectedly been there. But not every road works with Lane departure (dull white lines,snow,etc) I guess I'm afraid some drivers will rely on them? Gotta think it over some more.

Gotta agree, like you , , safety is my first priority also. I buy nothing without side and head airbags/side turn signals. ( was main reason we very reluctantly considered the 2010 Equinox LTZ). I'm a nut on tire wear! I don't recall if the SRX has seat belt pre-tensioners, as my '08 Enclave did. Gotta double check. Hope so.........my 2011, $59K Yukon is old architecture/body design so it does not!

SS