: Cadillac missing a basic feature :(

Kuya
06-26-11, 11:55 AM
One thing I always do with a car, is keep it in mint/showroom condition. I love picking up a friend, family, guest . . . and showing off my car. Even 5 years old, it will look as if I just bought it last week.

So, I went out and purchased a nice chargeable car vacuum. First, I will say it does a GREAT job. Really got my floor mats and rugs looking perfect. But, alas, half way through the vacuum charge ran out (because I was using an electric attachment that uses more power).

No problem . . the Caddy must have an outlet right? It's a Caddy for pete's sake. And it is the Premium model SRX . . so if anything this should have one. Even my parents Chrysler Town and Country has one and so did their previous one 4 years ago.

I was saddened to find that Caddy put "4" cigarette lighter outlets inside and NO regular outlets.

In this day and age . . that is just silly. a BIG overlook. Nobody buying a 2010 - 2012 CADILLAC should have to go buy a converter to plug something in. So many cars have already done away with the lighters and gone with regular outlets . .

Needless to say . . my car is half vacuumed and the vacuum is back inside recharging.

Was hoping I could just keep the vacuum in the SRX and plug it in when I need to use it. . . oh well. Maybe the 2012's will have this option . . . .

stevec5375
06-26-11, 01:36 PM
What do you mean by "regular outlets" ?

sube5186
06-26-11, 01:45 PM
I agree with you. This feature should have been included. However, there are a few features I would place much higher on my list. The top five are safety related, which I always place above luxury or convenience features. Anything that can help avoid an accident is always a priority.

1. Blind Spot Detection*
2. Adaptive (Radar guided) Cruise Control
3. Collision Warning System
4. Lane Departure Warning
5. Heads-Up Display*
6. Bluetooth Streaming (with the premium audio system)
7. HD Radio

* These have already been on Buicks for a few years now. Why would they put these features on another GM line and not include them on their flagship brand? :hmm: Makes absolutely no sense at all to me. The only explanation would have to be cost reduction.

Sube

sube5186
06-26-11, 01:50 PM

He means AC outlets. In a car this is basically a built-in power inverter, which converts 12V DC to 120V AC, like a regular power outlet in your home. Most electrical appliances don't come with a 12V power adapter. Those devices could simply be plugged in just like they would be in your house.

Sube

Kuya
06-26-11, 02:58 PM
Thank you Sube for clearing that up . . . I should have been more clear . . I am not "handy man inclined" lol.

He means AC outlets. In a car this is basically a built-in power inverter, which converts 12V DC to 120V AC, like a regular power outlet in your home. Most electrical appliances don't come with a 12V power adapter. Those devices could simply be plugged in just like they would be in your house.

Sube

Kuya
06-26-11, 03:00 PM
I could not agree more . . . with the Blind Spot Detection!!! I have a very hard time seeing vehicles in my left side blind spot. My first few weeks in the car . . . I nearly caused my own share of accidents. Now I am pretty used to it.

Didn't mean to put the AC outlet above safety . . just was kinda shocked that something this basic was not a feature in a Caddy

stevec5375
06-26-11, 03:29 PM

Sube

I've seen plug-in power inverters at places like Best Buy. I would imagine a lot of people don't need built-in inverters and therefore avoid the extra cost. Seems like a lot of usage of a power-inverted outlet could quickly drain a battery, but I'm just guessing.

sube5186
06-26-11, 06:59 PM
VW just developed an "Auto Pilot" feature. It combines both adaptive cruise control and Lane Assist into one function. Utilizing cameras, ultrasonic sensors, a laser scanner and an electronic horizon, it semi-automatically drives your car at speeds up to 80 m.p.h.

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20074113-48/volkswagens-temporary-auto-pilot-will-drive-your-car-up-to-80-mph/?tag=cnetRiver

Yes, I'd say we have a ways to go in the technology department.

In spite of this, personally I'd never buy a VW. They are known to be problematic. I was just making a point about some of the technological advances out there.

Sube

JimmyH
06-26-11, 07:21 PM
Um....extension cord. They are pretty cheap these days and provide considerably more current than a car battery.

Kuya
06-26-11, 08:38 PM
Umm gosh . . oh geee. . .why didn't I think about that!

Thanks for the advice . . . really.

Ok again . I am just saying it is a modern convenience. Many many cars already have the AC outlet for years now. It's nothing new. There is no need to run a long extension out to the car for 15 minutes just to vacuum. Furthermore, I live on the second floor of an upscale apt complex. Running a cord out the window and across the lot . . . gosh oh gee . . why didn't I think of that one!

Um....extension cord. They are pretty cheap these days and provide considerably more current than a car battery.

JimmyH
06-26-11, 08:48 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41MA0mdyk4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Inverter-Emergency-Battery-K38022US/dp/B000VE8FU2

Smokin' SRX
06-26-11, 10:17 PM
Gotta say I miss the 110V outlet that my Enclave CLX had. It only put out about 150 watts of power so a big TV or power drill would not work, but we used it for a cell phone and MP3 device, that only came with a 110V house charger. If I recall, it only worked when the engine was running. Still very convenient.

I have the Blind Spot warning on my new Yukon Denali, and it works if you use your signal lights! ( I do) Sometimes very annoying in tight traffic where you're trying to merge....

SUBE, I'm not sure I want the other stuff with exception of Heads UP Display as your eyes stay on the road ahead and that's why the other stuff seems unneeded to me. But I guess Lane Departure/Collision warning is good if you get drowsy. I plan and make every effort to avoid it, but we've all unexpectedly been there. But not every road works with Lane departure (dull white lines,snow,etc) I guess I'm afraid some drivers will rely on them? Gotta think it over some more.

Gotta agree, like you , , safety is my first priority also. I buy nothing without side and head airbags/side turn signals. ( was main reason we very reluctantly considered the 2010 Equinox LTZ). I'm a nut on tire wear! I don't recall if the SRX has seat belt pre-tensioners, as my '08 Enclave did. Gotta double check. Hope so.........my 2011, $59K Yukon is old architecture/body design so it does not!

SS

Rorence
04-25-17, 01:36 AM
With the popular of car, most people are like to travel by driving car. Such to travel in the countryside or camping around the river or mountains. Since that, we are used to get power inverter to charge camera, laptop, phone and other products. Friend recommend bestek 400 power inverter to me in last month. It perfectly meets all charge requirements. So my car is perfect now, don't lose basic feature. Maybe you can get this on bestekmall.

GEORGEC
04-25-17, 06:45 AM
My wife's 2013 SRX came with no.s 1,3 and 4. Would not have bought the vehicle without these. My 2013 Acadia Denali has the heads up. I guess it is nice, but most of the time I do not even notice that it is there.

George