Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1995 Fleetwood Skipping. Help Please

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  sven914 
#1 ·
:tisk:
My name is Tim M. Proud owner of 1995 Fleetwood 350 LT1. The other day it started skipping at idle stoped at light. Replaced Opti at 98000 miles now showing 125000. When first cranked and running it is smooth. After it warms up it starts to skip a little. When completly warmed up it continues to skip at idle, and at speed but it still runs, and has not cut off. I stoped driving it until I can figure this out. I ran the diagnostics from the AC controls at different times, and days after running. Also overnight while cooled down. These are the codes over two weeks as they show from the AC controls. First time after running and two hour cool down:
1st code check: 2nd right after warmed up Today 6-26-11 cooled over night, and not run:
04-27 04-27 04-27
05-10 05-10 05-10
06-05 06-7 08-88
13-03 13-03 13-03
23-58 23-58 23-58
28-95 29-38 24-26
29-33 30-71 29-23
30-76 31-55 30-90
31-66 00-35 31-89
36-23 37-50
37-50 38-04
38-04
Please help me get rid of my skip! I can replace or clean any sensors that need it. Again 1st run while cool she's sweet but when she warms up she starts skipping. Thank you for your time, and help with this situation.

Tim M.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Actually there are supposed to be 3 rows of numbers on different day's. They just bunched together when I posted. Sorry about that. Is there a place online that lists all the systems and codes? The only ones I've found are for Systems 01 - 04. What about the higher numbers?

Day One Codes
System Diagnostic Code

01 00
02 00
03 00
04 27
05 10
06 05
13 03
23 58
28 95
29 33
30 76
31 66
36 23
37 50
38 04

#4 ·
Only 00-04 are trouble codes.

"00" = Powertrain Control Module (PCM) codes
"01" = Central Control Module (CCM) codes
"02" = Heating, Ventilation and Air-Conditioning (HVAC) codes
"03" = Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) codes
"04" = Anti-lock Brake/Traction Control System (ABS/TC) Codes

The rest, I believe, may be sensor outputs. Here's a ton of info on Fleetwoods, including onboard diagnostics:

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd1.html

Now you show
01 00
02 00
03 00

I would assume that the displayed 00 means there are no codes for that system, but i'm not sure. You don't seem to have any PCM codes (starting with 00).

Is the skip random, or rhythmic? Have plugs/wires ever been changed?

#5 ·
I posted this response to your query in the OBD reference thread, but for posterity, I'll repeat it

The only trouble code you have is 0427, which indicated a malfunction in one of the wheel speed sensors.

Everything else, from 05-38, is general information about the computer, air conditioner, and engine, such as the program number, engine temperature, sun load, and in car temperature.

#6 ·
Thanks for your help. The plugs and wires have been changed.

It's a rhythmic skip when I'm idling (after the motor has warmed up.) When I accelerate, it doesn't pull away as quick as it normally does. You can feel it skipping when I reach 55mph. If the AC is on when I'm at a stop, the motor skips to the point I think it will cut off, though it never has. When the engine is cold, at first start up, it runs fine. The skipping only begins after the engine warms up.

#10 · (Edited)
What I do to find the cylinder thats missing is ... Take off home plate and pull all the wire clips that hold the plugs on the injectors.... Now you can pull the plugs off and put them back on eazy... Then I put home plate on backwards so its not in my way when I pull the injector wires off and on..Start if up and see if I can find a cylinder that seams to make no difference when the injector is unpluged... Then I would change that plug wire.. If that don't work , change the plug.. If that don't fix it check the compression on the cylinder, then check for a bad injector...or a bad cap and rotor..

#12 ·
Sounds good. I will bring it up to opperating temp, and remove home plate to check the injector plugs. If I do find a bad wire or plug what would I look for on it. A burn spot or something else. Where would I find a new plug to replace it? This sounds like it just might work. When the hood is up during the skipping phase the left bank has a loud clicking noise. The right side is much more quite. Thanks for your time in this matter.

#14 ·
Unplugging injectors will not diagnose bad plug wires. It can indicate a bad injector, but not plug wires. Buy a plug wire test tool, It's basically a dummy spark plug. You clip it to something metal under the hood to ground it, and plug each wire into it and observe weather or not there is spark. (there is a window in the tool through which you can the spark) They're very inexpensive and any parts store should carry them. If the wires are original, there's a good chance they're in need of replacement.

#15 ·
Thank you all for all the information that was given to me. I took it out for a short warm up period this a.m. after ten minutes of run time with A.C. on sure enough she started skipping. Brought her home in the garage, and took the home plate off swung it around started engine with A.C. on started unplugging injectors and heard muffler popping put them bac on ,and that went away. I looked down between the engine and exaust manifold, and saw a spark that should have been making it to the left back cylinder 7 Plug but was sparking on a metal tube 5 inches away from the plug. I do beleive that a new set of plug wires are in order. I will be buying ACDelco unless you fellows know of a better set. I do beleive this skipping problem is solved.

Thank you all for your time, and help with this problem
Tim M.
1995 Fleetwood 5.7

#17 ·
Changed the Plugs and wires now the skip is gone. But when I crank it and put it in gear to back up, and go forward it rolls like the brake is being pumped. It feels like it wants to stop and start. When I hit the highway it goes pass this and speeds up fine. When I come to a stop it jerks. Sometimes now when it shifts to 3rd it starts bouncing. Like the skip from the bad wires started the trans to act up. Any ideas? Thanks for all your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.