: Discount Tire scratched factory rims....they will refinish them....

vjjack04
06-26-11, 12:59 AM
Had original tires replaced with Continentals, like the tires but not the scratches Discount put on the rims. These are the painted grey/silver factory rims. They told me they could refinish them....thoughts, comments?

aaw8491
06-26-11, 01:06 AM
That's kind of hard to say. Some re-conditioned wheels/rims are just fine when done correctly. When it's not, it looks really bad. That's a call for you to make.If the car only has a couple thousand miles on the rims, then you should ask them to replace them, not repair them. JMHO - BC

mrl859
06-26-11, 11:14 AM
I've damaged rims on my cars and had them repaired to where even I couldn't tell where the damage had been. Give them a chance to fix them right. If it doesn't look perfect, then insist on new wheels.

vjjack04
06-26-11, 05:22 PM
Thanks. I will see what they can do. If it doesn't look right, I will get aggrevated with them.....

musclesbmf
06-26-11, 07:24 PM
Just have them get the wheels re-powdercoated. Then you can choose any shade you want. Approx cost for all 4 is $400.00. They won't buy you new wheels, lets be realistic.

Mark

baabootoo
06-27-11, 12:32 AM
I'd say "Go ahead".

06-27-11, 11:43 AM
I've damaged rims on my cars and had them repaired to where even I couldn't tell where the damage had been. Give them a chance to fix them right. If it doesn't look perfect, then insist on new wheels.

This is the right answer, I think. Note that everyone that I know who has had their wheels re-done by a reputable shop has been quite pleased.

note though that Discount tire will unmount the tires, send the wheels to the shop, and them remount and re-balance when they get them back. So they will have to do a better job the second time around.

Also note that unless somebody has some spare wheels/tires for you, your car will spend a few days up on jackstands....somewhere.....

cdog533
06-27-11, 02:42 PM
Maybe they shouldn't have 19 year old kids used to doing Camrys doing wheels that people actually care about....

They ONLY do tires. You'd think they could do that ONE thing right.

M5eater
06-27-11, 03:33 PM
Maybe they shouldn't have 19 year old kids used to doing Camrys doing wheels that people actually care about....

They ONLY do tires. You'd think they could do that ONE thing right.

well, the name discount sort of implies a certain quality of product though doesn't it? it may not have been the worker, it may have been the 10 year old machine that has rubber inserts worn bone dry. No offense, but I will not be taking my 70k v to a $19.99/side shop when I need tires.

mrl859
06-27-11, 11:58 PM
This is the right answer, I think. Note that everyone that I know who has had their wheels re-done by a reputable shop has been quite pleased.

note though that Discount tire will unmount the tires, send the wheels to the shop, and them remount and re-balance when they get them back. So they will have to do a better job the second time around.

Also note that unless somebody has some spare wheels/tires for you, your car will spend a few days up on jackstands....somewhere.....Actually, mine were done by a mobile service called "Velvet Touch". They did it on the car in about an hour. That was curb rash on my 2010 GT500 and it was invisible after they were done. They improved the damage from when my wheels came loose on the balancer during a balancing on my SRT8 Charger, but that didn't come out so perfect. Those gouges were pretty deep. At my work we used "Wheel America" for SRT8 300 wheels and they messed them up so badly, we had to buy the customer new wheels. That was after two tries of sending them to the "plant". They just coudln't get the clear coat to come out right.

DiamondWhtV
06-28-11, 03:22 PM
Guess it all depends. Discount Tire just mounted my EVO's V12 and I couldn't be happier. I was also please when I went back to pick up the car, it was stored way out of the way with traffic cones around it so no one could park next to it and cause door dings or damage.

I know they do bunch of tires and they are always crowded with cars and people, but they took the time to be very careful with my ride and kept it clean and free from damage. I appreciated the extra effort and as always..they got a little reward in return.