: Soon to be no longer a Cadillac owner

FLSurf420
10-16-04, 09:33 PM
Well this kind of sucks but in a way one door closes another opens. My father owns a collision center, and asked if I would like a Chevy s-10. Well at first I really did want to keep my Deville. I mean I put a lot of work into it and just got my license yesterday, so i am barely getting used to it. I did not know what to say. I knew there were a lot of things wrong with my car but it was cheap and an rushed buy type thing. It was in the family so i figured they'd take care of it before selling it. It was wrecked 3 times, twice in back and once in front, so i wasn't expecting it to be perfect but not this bad, seeing how the last owner was a certified mechanic who repaired it.

Well hereís the list of problems I am having and the more I drive it the more that goes wrong with it(or just finding out about what was already wrong). I guess I was wrong about them taking good care of it.

Anti-Lock brakes donít work properly, needs new ISC motor, needs struts, needs a tune-up, getting 11 mpg, motor mount is broke, not running on all cylinders, needs alignment, coolant temperature sensor bad, inflatable restraint light on, and doesnít run to potential.
And that is only the engine, handling.
It needs an a/c compressor, paint, headliner, driver seat fixed, glove box lock, hood supports, and exhaust fixed so it wonít drag on the ground over a dip in the road. Thereís probably more stuff to be found.

Now I'm only 17 and don't have that much money to fix have of that, since 1000 bucks that I would invest in it will not go far. We bought the car for 800; so far I have replaced the radiator, upper and lower hoses, and the thermostat. Also I have installed an aftermarket radio and amp, but we replace back to factory if and when we sell it. While it has only 101k miles it has a lot to be fixed.

Now onto the S-10, itís a 1996 Chevy S-10 LS; it also has body damage but no where to the extent of the Deville. This by the time I will actually drive it will be in perfect condition. Its an extended cab, with the V-6 automatic transmission. AC blows cold, and rides ok. The only thing I don't like about it, is it has 150k miles. I drove it in the parking lot and it has some power but i couldn't tell since the wheels wouldnít stay planted lol. It has some minor water damage (like a puddle on the floorboard, and needs a make-over. I can keep the Deville for a few weeks until the s-10 is fixed.

I mean I really love the Cadillac, but thereís just too many things wrong with it. If it was in better condition i would drive it the rest of my life, or at least until out of college. I've grown to like it a lot, but don't have the money to fix it. Maybe one day I will go back to Cadillac, and thereís a really good chance, but for now I need a car I can fix cheaply. The S-10 has some potential to be a nice truck. But its like comparing apples to oranges. What would you do? But no biased opinions, like "Iíd take the Cadillac because i like them" please. I really need help.

Stoneage_Caddy
10-16-04, 09:37 PM
i think for you the s10 is a beatter choice , a 16 year old on a shoestring budget really cant afford the maintence on a old cadillac , parts for a 4.3 s10 are a dime a dozen , and its much simpler to work on ......how is insurance on the s10 comapred to the caddy?

FLSurf420
10-16-04, 09:57 PM
not sure about the insurance yet. but i know my mom wanted me in a huge car, incase i get in an accident. I mean i've had driving instructors say i was the best driver they've had. So more than likely I'm not the one thats gonna be causing it. But I tryed to tell her working on it will be cheaper. I love my caddy but I just can't be wondering if its gonna get me to point a to point be without blowing up, or parts falling off lol. If neither one had anything wrong with themselves I would choose my car no thought about it.

I mean if I have to spend money I want to spend it on something that will make it look, sound or run better. Not spend money to bring it up to where it should be. Thanks for your advice, does anyone else have any suggestions?

BTW I'm 17 now, get it right!!! lol jk

RBraczyk
10-16-04, 10:13 PM
I agree with stoney, and its the reason why I won't buy a caddy until im out of college. The parts are ridiculously expensive, and these cars are plagued with problems. The s-10 parts are going to be very cheap. Same with my blazer, its compatable with several other models of trucks for about an 8 year span. It is a better choice for your age.

majax
10-16-04, 10:32 PM
Gettin the S-10 is a good Idea and when you do have the money for a Cadi you can get a nice one.

The only bad part about the S-10 is it aint anything you want to come close to getting in a wreck with.

Ralph
10-16-04, 11:22 PM
and these cars are plagued with problems.

Your name isn't 1toycad?! :lildevil:

Can you and your Dad do a basic tune up to it? What year and model Cadillac are we talking about here?

majax
10-17-04, 01:00 AM
ralph, he said '91 DeVille dude.

I can't believe no one has comented on my Allante'

barge master
10-17-04, 08:38 AM
Pouring money into a 91 Caddy with a million things wrong with it is like flushing it down the toilet. If your father is a body man I'll bet you'll come across a nice Caddy for cheap that needs some sheet metal work and be good to go. You just gotta be patient. Good luck with the S-10. IMO once you get past 100,000 miles, the mileage is immaterial. If it doesn't burn oil or knock,you're no worse off than you would be with 70 or 80 grand when everything starts to break.

FLSurf420
10-17-04, 01:16 PM
so you mean that its ok once it has over 100,000 miles? like its as likely to go wrong if it were at 80 grand? Well i think the only reason my mom doesnt want me to get it is the posibility of a crash, at first it was because my dad wanted me to have the s-10. so she didnt want me to side with him. what i will do is drive the deville for a few weeks, maybe fix the mount, and then probably drive the s-10 after its fixed.

the s-10 needs a new bed and hood. so with the new bed i might get the euro lights and and hood scoop. i might as well make it look nicer than stock, i have to buy them anyway. i thank you guys for all your help trying to help me fix my car. I really appreciate it. I learned alot about cars just by having one with so many problems. i will hopefully still be an active member on these forums helping those who need it.

barge master
10-17-04, 10:31 PM
I figure that by the time the car has hit the 100G mark, it's likely had an alternator, water pump, blah blah. Major brake work has been done at least once. As long as the engine internals are good and the vehicle isn't oozing neglect, it's still a perfectly legit piece of transportation. BTW, you don't have to leave just cause you don't have a Caddy anymore. You wouldn't be the only one that doesn't.

FLSurf420
10-17-04, 11:37 PM
I figure that by the time the car has hit the 100G mark, it's likely had an alternator, water pump, blah blah. Major brake work has been done at least once.

never even thought about that lol

barge master
10-18-04, 12:30 AM
I wrench on cars every day and you would be surprised how much stuff goes wrong with cars in the 70-100G range. That's the awkward age for a car,once you get over the hump they usually kinda stabilize again.

Msilva954
10-18-04, 07:58 AM
part it out......you can get some nice cash by doing that.

RBraczyk
10-18-04, 08:29 AM
Still runnin strong at 283300...

davesdeville
10-18-04, 09:12 PM
This is one reason why I've got 70s Cads, their parts are cheap, and they aren't hard to work on. Your Cad has it's problems, but the ones other than engine related aren't too hard to take care of. Find out what the engine problems are. The S-10 doesn't sound like a gem either.

And don't get the ricer lights when you get the S-10..

FLSurf420
10-19-04, 08:37 PM
well im gonna get the 'ricer' lights but the trucks not gonna be rice. im going for a hot rod look. i'll probably shave them off when i get the money.

Night Wolf
10-19-04, 10:41 PM
the Blazers are pretty sturdy in a crash...

..on the grand Am site, somebody had a 1989 style S10 Blazer... he siad his girl friend ws driving.. something happened... the truck rolled 3 times..... she was wearing her seat belt, I htink it landed upside down too... she got out with a bruse on her arm from when she released the belt and fell to the now ceiling of the turck... the roof was caved in alot too... but she was fine...

it you are not keeping the car, don't even bother with changing the motor mounts on the 4.9... on my '93 it was a major PITA... actually my father did it... I wasn't about to...

the 4.3 is a great engine... they run forever.... maybe the truck is a better car for you....

... I can't say much to the cost of parts for the Cad though... parts for my '93 are pretty cheap.... not as cheap as parts for the Olds, but still... on average, any given part is 1/3 the cost then of my friends '94 Jetta....

RBraczyk
10-19-04, 11:07 PM
I've seen some wrecked K5's too and they seem to hold their own. The s-10's seem to fare pretty well in accidents. You are getting a pickup, so your lucky you don't have to deal with snow. They make for fun in wet weather.