: price for ls7 clutch and flywheel all together parts and labor?

06BlackV
06-25-11, 08:54 PM
hi id like to know what the total cost (roughly) will be to have an ls7 clutch with flywheel put in my car , parts and labor .,,, and is this a good idea?

darkman
06-25-11, 09:27 PM
Luke at Lindsay sells an LS7 package for the CTS-V, but I do not know what current price is. The standard flat rate allowance for installing a new clutch disc, pressure plate and flywheel is 4 hours, but it has been my experience that most shops (dealerships and independents) want 6 hours.

I am still running an LS6 setup with a UUC flywheel, so I cannot speak from direct experience. However, what I have read about the LS7 clutch leads me to conclude that it: (a) is a substantial improvement over stock in terms of the flywheel and clutch disc; (b) it is a reliable unit for conservative drivers; and (c) it will not withstand a lot of abuse (hard launches and powershifts). In all fairness though the truly aggressive clutch users/abusers among us are going to clutches costing easily twice as much. A good middle ground is the Monster 2 from what I have read.

ctsvoom
06-25-11, 11:00 PM
Luke told me $636 for parts not sure if it was ls7 though. Dealer told me $1500 for clutch, pilot brg, slave cyl, and labor. Bought a Monster setup instead and having my fiance do the labor.

RADEoN
06-26-11, 12:03 AM
ls7 setup is the best mod i've done to the car, i paid about 700 bucks for parts and did labor with brian.

wifesv
06-26-11, 09:33 PM
if your in the phoenix area i can help with labor, just did mine. So, labor was free got the kit from lindsey.

JimmyH
06-26-11, 09:44 PM
I don't recall seeing anyone do the LS7 swap being un-pleased with it.

06BlackV
06-27-11, 01:53 AM
lindsey? is that a online parts store?

iwantactsv
06-27-11, 08:32 AM
lindsey? is that a online parts store?

http://www.elindsaycadillac.com/Accessories

Ask for Luke.

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
06-27-11, 11:29 AM
I get $636.00 plus shipping for the LS7 kit (clutch, flywheel, and slave cyl)

06BlackV
06-29-11, 10:38 AM
lindsey, what is your website ? and is everything i need for your upgrade included with that price of 636?

AG'S-V
06-29-11, 12:42 PM
I've been quoted about $350 to have mine installed...yet to have it installed.

darkman
06-29-11, 12:49 PM
lindsey, what is your website ? and is everything i need for your upgrade included with that price of 636?

Lindsay Cadillac's website is shown on the right hand margin. Send Luke an e-mail.

repenttokyo
06-29-11, 01:01 PM
luke - do you guys offer a remote clutch bleed option as well?

06BlackV
06-29-11, 07:28 PM
thank you everyone, i just ordered the complete ls7 upgrade , do i need to bleed the clutch after the install ? or will they do this when installed?

darkman
06-29-11, 07:39 PM
You will have a new slave so they will have to bleed it after the install. (Although I guess there is always some short-cut that an inept shop could take to do an incomplete job.)

Overd0s3
06-30-11, 07:51 PM
So this won't suit someone who does a lot of "spirited" driving?

DDS rollin a CTS
06-30-11, 08:01 PM
So this won't suit someone who does a lot of "spirited" driving?

How is this clutch any "better" than the stock one if it cant handle "spirited" driving? I've been starting to think about what I should do when I need a new clutch, guess I may have to scratch this one off my list.

darkman
06-30-11, 09:33 PM
The LS7 clutch kit is an improvement over the LS6/LS2 Oem clutch packages because it: (a) replaces the dual-mass flyhweel with a lighter single-mass flywheel; (b) replaces the spring-less clutch disc (that is designed as a companion piece to the spring-load dual mass flywheel) with a spring-loaded clutch disc; and (c) presumably provides more horsepower capacity. Now, if you have gotten good mileage out of the stock unit this setup is probably all you need.

If your motor is not heavily modified and you don't launch hard (rev high and pop or side-step the clutch) or power shift (shift by fanning the clutch pedal and keeping the throttle nailed) you will probably get by with the LS7 setup. On the other hand, if you are the type of V driver that requires new rear rubber and new front brake pads with every oil change - this setup is probably not for you.

06BlackV
06-30-11, 10:02 PM
what is the weight on that flywheel that is from luke? (ls7 kit) ??

darkman
06-30-11, 10:39 PM
If I recall correctly the LS7 flywheel is 28 pounds. The overall rotating weight reduction between orignal V and the LS7 kit is about 15 pounds (60 vs 75 pounds)

darkman
07-01-11, 07:51 AM
Anyone installing a LS7 clutch kit, or any other clutch kit not pre-balanced by the manufacturer, should consider getting it balanced:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/231540-ls7-flywheel-should-i-get-balanced.html (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-performance/231540-ls7-flywheel-should-i-get-balanced.html)

JimmyH
07-02-11, 09:28 PM
Common sense would suggest the LS7 setup, which was designed for a car that is 1000 lbs lighter, probably won't have the longevity of the stock setup. But everyone who has done the swap says it's a blast to drive. I don't recall seeing an unfavorable review. You just probably have to accept you won't get the same life out of it.

06BlackV
07-02-11, 11:00 PM
dealer told me usually clutches last 65k miles on these cars driven conservatively. With the 1s7 setup am i going to at least see half of those miles?

06BlackV
07-02-11, 11:02 PM
@ Darkman , is the ls7 kit from luke already pre-balanced ?

darkman
07-03-11, 08:13 AM
dealer told me usually clutches last 65k miles on these cars driven conservatively. With the 1s7 setup am i going to at least see half of those miles?

Common sense would suggest the LS7 setup, which was designed for a car that is 1000 lbs lighter, probably won't have the longevity of the stock setup. But everyone who has done the swap says it's a blast to drive. I don't recall seeing an unfavorable review. You just probably have to accept you won't get the same life out of it.

The LS7 clutch is indeed designed for a car that is 1000 lbs. lighter, but it is also designed for a car delivering 105 more horsepower. I have never been able to find any direct comparison of our OEM clutch set-up with the LS7 setup in terms of mechanical specifications such as pressure plate clamping force, quality and friction coefficient of the disc, etc. Therefore, I have no basis to conclude which clutch is better in terms of daliy-driver reliabilty. I suspect however, that in the absence of abuse the two clutch setups should give similar mileage.

Perhaps some long-term owners of the LS7 setup could comment on this.

@ Darkman , is the ls7 kit from luke already pre-balanced ?

No it is not.

06BlackV
07-05-11, 06:14 PM
alrite guys , the ls7 clutch/flywheel/ slave is being installed at the dealership tomorrow , along with a UUC Short throw shifter ,, is there anything i have to tell them regarding the installation of these parts?

Houdini
07-05-11, 08:36 PM
I hope you ordered a remote bleeder.

06BlackV
07-05-11, 08:55 PM
it came with a 3 foot hose connected to the slave (idk what thats for ) assuming its a bleeder ,,, i bout the whole kit from luke

67electro
07-29-11, 06:12 PM
Hey How about this kit, LS7 Flywheel, Pressure plate & Clutch Disk for 459+shipping

http://sdparts.com/details/scoggin-dickey-parts-center/sdls7ck

I am in the Phoenix area and am going to have to do this in the next couple of weeks.

aggie1979
07-30-11, 09:35 PM
The LS7 clutch kit is an improvement over the LS6/LS2 Oem clutch packages because it: (a) replaces the dual-mass flyhweel with a lighter single-mass flywheel; (b) replaces the spring-less clutch disc (that is designed as a companion piece to the spring-load dual mass flywheel) with a spring-loaded clutch disc; and (c) presumably provides more horsepower capacity. Now, if you have gotten good mileage out of the stock unit this setup is probably all you need.

If your motor is not heavily modified and you don't launch hard (rev high and pop or side-step the clutch) or power shift (shift by fanning the clutch pedal and keeping the throttle nailed) you will probably get by with the LS7 setup. On the other hand, if you are the type of V driver that requires new rear rubber and new front brake pads with every oil change - this setup is probably not for you.

I thought that the LS7 clutch kit wasn't for me. Hope this gets rid of the vibration that developed last week. Thanks darkman.

pjm10626
08-01-11, 08:02 AM
does anyone have the monster 2 setup?

what are some other popular options.

any links?

slothV
08-02-11, 03:48 PM
I just did the LS7 swap last week. I got the parts from Luke (fw, PP, clutch and slave). I also got the remote bleeder from Tick Performance.

My clutch was still working fine, just the throwout bearing in the slave was going south. I have approx 78k miles.

The dealer quoted $500 for the labor, but I ended up getting it all done for free under the GMPP warranty. Since the throwout bearing the was covered under the GMPP the dealership agreed to install the LS7 clutch and other stuff for no added cost! They also gave me the new CTS-V slave that they ordered under warranty and all the old parts back.

So far I am happy with the performance. There is definetely a vibration in the clutch pedal when disengaging the clutch at high RPM. Otherwise the driveability is the same as stock. I also notice a small performace gain because of the mass reduction.

67electro
08-02-11, 04:23 PM
SlothV, no vibes at low rpms (700 - 800) (by dragging engine down a little in 1st gear putting around a parking lot for example), felt in seat and steering wheel?

67electro
08-02-11, 04:27 PM
What Slave do I need to use for the LS7 swap, does the CTS-V (ls6) slave work? or do you completely replace it with a LS7 slave?

slothV
08-02-11, 05:05 PM
No, I don't have vibes at low RPM. However in the past I've had the engine mounts, harmonic damper, trans and diff bushings replaced...

@67electro - If you keep the CTSV slave then you need a spacer. If you use the LS7 slave with the LS7 PP and fly then you're fine for spacing, but you will need the remote bleeder unless you want to grind on the bell housing.

67electro
08-02-11, 06:05 PM
cool, what bleeder is recommended? I see all kinds, different lengths.

slothV
08-02-11, 09:05 PM
cool, what bleeder is recommended? I see all kinds, different lengths.

I got this one:

Tick Performance Remote Clutch SPEEDbleeder Line for 2005+ Corvette & Z06, 04-07 CTS-V TPSBLC6 $49.99 USD

http://www.tickperformance.com/products/Tick-Performance-Remote-Clutch-SPEEDbleeder-Line-for-2005%252b-Corvette-%26-Z06%2C-04%252d07-CTS%252dV.html

JazMiller
08-10-11, 12:45 PM
Hey SlothV - I might be looking for stock slave cylinder for my 05 stock V. Have a leak around the bell housing and I've been told that clutch is very likely in good shape (18k miles), but the slave needs to be replaced. The car is new to me in the last couple weeks, and it's looking like clutch fluid on this low miler was neglected. I'm either replacing stock slave or I'll be looking for an LS7 clutch kit... Let me know if you have a part you'd like to sell!

JazMiller
08-17-11, 10:04 PM
They also gave me the new CTS-V slave that they ordered under warranty and all the old parts back.

So far I am happy with the performance. There is definetely a vibration in the clutch pedal when disengaging the clutch at high RPM. Otherwise the driveability is the same as stock. I also notice a small performace gain because of the mass reduction.

Can't PM you - would be interested in hearing if you have a stock slave to sell. Email me if it's more convenient; use jazmiller @ gmail.com.