: heat exchanger air bleeding procedure?

M5eater
06-25-11, 11:27 AM
So I've now had to put coolant in the heat exchanger res twice at 1400 miles(not alot, <1/4 of a quart since the res is so small), probally because recently I've done her first WOT run and that got some air out of the system. Between this and the P/S being bone dry, I'll ask them to check the other fluids when she goes in for her first service for the small problems she has.

In the mean time, anyone know if there's a air bleeder valve somewhere or a specific bleed procedure for the heat exchanger?

cbloveday
06-25-11, 01:55 PM
The bleeder is at the top right (when standing in front of the car and facing it) of the OEM heat exchanger. The way I access it is to remove the top black piece that covers the top of the bumper. I then loosen the top bolts that hold on the bumper to the car. Finally, if necessary you can remove the plastic shroud that holds the hood release lever and you should be able to slip your hand and a 3/8 driver onto the bleeder.

I would first shine my flashlight in the area to locate the bleeder so you know where you are going or need to get to.

If you remove the fill cap from the sc and the overfill tank, you can fill both til you hear the air bubble out and you may want to have someone watch the bleeder for the first sign of liquid coming out. At that point most if not all air is out. May enen want to try and wedge a rag in there to catch the overage.

I did this myself. Be careful that the 3/8 is correctly or you could strip the cap. It is black plastic. Vice grips if you have an issue.
It just has to be snug when you put it back on not overly tightened.

Hope this helps. and if others have another way, post up please.

M5eater
06-25-11, 08:25 PM
The bleeder is at the top right (when standing in front of the car and facing it) of the OEM heat exchanger. The way I access it is to remove the top black piece that covers the top of the bumper. I then loosen the top bolts that hold on the bumper to the car. Finally, if necessary you can remove the plastic shroud that holds the hood release lever and you should be able to slip your hand and a 3/8 driver onto the bleeder.

I would first shine my flashlight in the area to locate the bleeder so you know where you are going or need to get to.

If you remove the fill cap from the sc and the overfill tank, you can fill both til you hear the air bubble out and you may want to have someone watch the bleeder for the first sign of liquid coming out. At that point most if not all air is out. May enen want to try and wedge a rag in there to catch the overage.

I did this myself. Be careful that the 3/8 is correctly or you could strip the cap. It is black plastic. Vice grips if you have an issue.
It just has to be snug when you put it back on not overly tightened.

Hope this helps. and if others have another way, post up please.

thanks for the writeup! I'll bookmark for later use, figures the second fillup seems to be holding, desptie breaking 1500 miles today ;)