: Buying new Convertible top- want glass back window - do I need the zipper model ?

Tallguy222
06-25-11, 07:08 AM
Hi guys - need help again already.
I'm ordering new floor pans and a new top - the top has me stumped - our car arrived with a glass back window which I like having previously has plastic in other cars, so I'd like to keep that.
The auto trimmer here has told me to buy a Robbins top http://www.robbinsautotopco.com/cadillac.php#nogo as he has had no problems fitting them.
However when I look at their website I see that our 66 came with a zipper. Can anyone tell me why ?
I'd like to have a top with glass that I simply hold the switch and it opens and closes withou me having to undo a zip ( had this with a French car - hated it ).
I will have to have the new top and floor pans shipped to the west coast and put in a container - so it's gonna cost - so I want to get it right as returns from New Zealand are not an option :)
Any help from the knowledgeable members here ?
thanks in advance

gregors29
07-08-11, 06:46 PM
I have a 68 DeVille convertible and the glass window folds down into the well when the top is lowered. You do not need the zipper.

The Robbins brand top is the preferred brand that 2 different Los Angeles upholstery shops recommended.

Dirtywaterdiver
07-08-11, 07:23 PM
I had glass for the original and just replaced it with a zipper model.

I like it. Seemes to have more field of view.

jayoldschool
07-08-11, 07:39 PM
My 65 Impala has the glass rear window with the zipper.

gregors29
07-08-11, 07:51 PM
I actually have had both on my 68 DeVille Convertible. They seem to work out very well either way. The benefit for the zipper was that if that piece of top fabric under the glass window gets damaged or comes off the glass, you can change it by zipping out the window and it is much less expensive.

jayoldschool
07-08-11, 08:31 PM
Hmm. I need to do exactly that. The panel under my window is peeling the outer layer, and the rest of the top is perfect. I wonder if I can just order the part that zips out...

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e202/jayoldschool/011-2.jpg

Tallguy222
07-09-11, 06:20 AM
Thanks Guys,
I've since found out the zipper is simply there to allow you to drive the car with the rear window folded down but top up.
I've bought the non zipper Robbins top as I don't think I'd ever use it and it's just another thing that can go wrong or break :)
( our vette has a back window that you can remove for the same experience and we never bother with that either )

The Robbins web site says you can use either.

I have a tonne of parts heading to a container over to your beautiful West coast now as Caddy parts tend to be a bit heavy ( who knew? ) ;)
We have ZERO tolerance for rust here so the two TINY holes in my front floor pans and FIVE in trunk pan means I have new ones coming in same container
I just bought new brake drums for US$85 and they were going to cost US$180 postage EACH !( hence they are on their way to the container )
You guys are sooooooo lucky to live in the country that makes these stunning cars and offers free shipping for so many parts - don't take it for granted - some of us would LOVE that :)
cheers