: Sporadic Compressor? WTF?

The-Dullahan
06-25-11, 04:35 AM
Okay, so the AC works fine (Simple wire nonsense) along with the aforementioned all new parts from the old thread. NOW though, when the engine is running with the AC on OFF, the compressor kicks on about every ten-or-fifteen seconds, runs for another ten-or-fifteen, then turns off and repeats. Why The Deuce is this happening?

The obvious answer is pressure related, which it had damn well better not be. The shop that did the Ac at the start sent me to another shop to finish the electrical. Picked my car up there with the electrical sorted out and the system empty, being told to return to the original place to have it refilled, as it had a leak and was vacuumed out. When I got there, my system read as vacuumed on the fill machine and they filled it, let it sit, decided it was not leaking and that the guy from the other shop (Their former employee) was just being an ass and determined it was "not leaking"

If that IS the case, what else could cause this? If that's NOT the case and it IS leaking there's going to be bloodshed. Seriously, these ****ers have been wasting three weeks of my time...

brougham
06-25-11, 04:57 PM
It's supposed to cycle on and off when the ac is turned on and working right but it doesn't do anything when it's turned off. Either the heater controls think they are set on auto or there's a wiring problem somewhere.

sven914
06-25-11, 05:21 PM
It's cycling a little too fast, but that might be normal for 134a being run through an R12 compressor.

My book doesn't mention anything about the compressor being on when the system is off, but I would say the AC Cut off relay is highly suspect. In the wiring schematic, it is the only thing that supplies power to the clutch. This could suggest an issue with the relay itself or even the ECM, supplying ground to the relay.

Here's a diagnostic tree for a similar concern. It might help you find a solution.

http://img864.imageshack.us/img864/6436/194061125930212231.jpg

brougham
06-25-11, 05:32 PM
It's probably from the 134. For a quick guess if it's a normal fault and not something someone did on purpose I would say that either that relay is bad or someone bypassed it to try to fix a non working or weak ac problem.

The-Dullahan
06-27-11, 03:44 PM
Well, before anything could be done about any of this, some jackass managed to bash my driver's side tail light (Second time, same light) and that will be a good $610 according to the estimate I got today. While I was out, I was heading to the place that did my AC to see what was up with this nonsense and even though I had the AC off, the pully completely locked up, the belt burnt off, bellows of thick smoke running through my car and I had to stop to deal with that. The Police got a kick out of me at least. Anyhow, I made it there, they are going to "look into it" but who knows when, because my work schedule does not come out until the last day of the week, I never know my shifts or days off any earlier than that and though I am off on Wednesday and Thursday this week, my car will already be at the body shop getting my rear quarter dealt with.

Three weeks of my time and over $800 later, no AC.

The-Dullahan
06-27-11, 03:46 PM
Well, before anything could be done about any of this, some jackass managed to bash my driver's side tail light (Second time, same light) and that will be a good $610 according to the estimate I got today. While I was out, I was heading to the place that did my AC to see what was up with this nonsense and even though I had the AC off, the pully completely locked up, the belt burnt off, bellows of thick smoke running through my car and I had to stop to deal with that. The Police got a kick out of me at least. Anyhow, I made it there, they are going to "look into it" but who knows when, because my work schedule does not come out until the last day of the week, I never know my shifts or days off any earlier than that and though I am off on Wednesday and Thursday this week, my car will already be at the body shop getting my rear quarter dealt with.

Three weeks of my time and over $800 later, no AC, but hey. At least now all of my belts are squeeking REALLY LOUDLY and I have a hole drilled into the bottom of my dashboard, so I have SOMETHING to show for it.

turbojimmy
06-27-11, 04:39 PM
Three weeks of my time and over $800 later, no AC, but hey. At least now all of my belts are squeeking REALLY LOUDLY and I have a hole drilled into the bottom of my dashboard, so I have SOMETHING to show for it.

Thanks goodness you took it to a "professional". They may be incompetent, but they need to make it right.

Once you get it sorted out.....I've been told that you need to adjust the pressure switch on the accumulator (unplug the pressure switch - there's a screw there to adjust pressure) to cycle around 19-20 PSI when you convert to R134a. I did it on my GN and it worked fine. I've also been told that if R134a gets too cold, it will freeze solid. Not sure if the incorrect pressure will cause this or not, but it's interesting that your compressor seized for some reason.

It shouldn't have been running with the HVAC off....something got all kinds of screwed up.

The-Dullahan
06-27-11, 06:18 PM
I agree. You must remember, it did not go to A Professional, it went to TWO Professionals who were too busy having some kind of grudge-based pissing contest to apparently do the most important part of their job - Take care of the customer. Whatever, if it doesn't work after this, this is the precise reason I paid for it on a Credit Card. I NEVER use them, but I know they cover me for this stupidity and I am willing to bet I can make the company refund me.

PRdeVille
06-27-11, 09:13 PM
Whatever, if it doesn't work after this, this is the precise reason I paid for it on a Credit Card. I NEVER use them, but I know they cover me for this stupidity and I am willing to bet I can make the company refund me.
Credit card companies pay merchants various days later... not instantly.
So if there's a problem, you can call up Visa and tell them NOT to pay the merchant.
They'll open an investigation, and hold the payment until it is resolved (for, or against you).