: N* Problem

chazglenn3
10-16-04, 05:57 PM
I did a wide open throttle blast this morning on my way to work and think I may have broken something :banghead: . The car is noticably louder near the front of the engine. The noise is an exhaust type of noise and seems to be coming from the area near the rear of the engine on the drivers side, almost directly in front of the catalytic convertor. It sounds like an exhaust leak to me. Has anyone else ever encountered this? Ideas?

Charles

eldorado1
10-16-04, 07:26 PM
Maybe you just lost a bolt holding the cat to the pipe? (or pipe to the manifold... or similar)

chazglenn3
10-17-04, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the reply, eldorado1! You were right on! :worship: I crawled underneath the car and found the two top bolts that connect the exhaust pipe and catalytic converter loose. Tightened them up, and all seems well. At least it does in the garage. I will take her out for a spin shortly. :thumbsup:

Charles

chazglenn3
10-17-04, 10:16 PM
Test drive turned out great! Due to rain I didn't perform any WOT tests. But all is well again for now! :dance:

eldorado1
10-17-04, 10:30 PM
Good deal. Now get back out there, and drive it some more! :bouncy: :lildevil:

Night Wolf
10-17-04, 10:57 PM
Heh, good job witht he easy fix :)

similar thing happened with me... when I first got my Olds, I was pulling out onto a road after just washing the car... as soon as I hit the gas I hear *POP* and it gets REALLY loud... I pull over, and the exhaust pipe blew out right before the cat... so I drove back hme (about 20min) running open headers on my 3800 V6 :).... it was loud, and I was messing with people... if someone was walking on the side of the road, as I passed I would bump it into neutral and race the engine... made them jump lol... didin't sound like a V6 though... was nice... we clamped it together though... 3 days later it blew off behind the cat... that is clamped now (easy to remove the car though :) ) then a couple months back the heat shielding on the cat rotted and was draggin ont he ground, so I pulled it off.... it is still working fine though, and no exhaust leaks...