: Replacing Turn Signal Bulb

DaleCad
06-24-11, 11:28 AM
Yesterday I requested help replacing a burned out turn signal bulb in my 79 Coupe Deville.
Following the suggestions of several members, I was able to remove the 4 screws holding
the speedo cluster in place, but the cluster still won't come out for me to get to the
back to replace the bulb.

My son, Ben checked his service manual, and it was of no help. Can anyone tell me
what is holding the speedo cluster from coming out, and how do I remedy the situation
without damaging anything? Thanks!

csbuckn
06-24-11, 12:09 PM
If it moves around a little but doesn't pull all the way out, my guess would be the speedo cable in the back. Does it move or still seem bolted in?

77CDV
06-24-11, 01:55 PM
The shift indicator cable is what's holding it back. Tell Ben to look on page 8C-12 of the 1979 FSM.

DaleCad
06-24-11, 05:05 PM
It moves a little bit from side to side, but overall still seems bolted in even though all the screws are out.

DaleCad
06-24-11, 05:10 PM
Way ahead of you....I disconnected the cable and it didn't make any difference. Will the speedo cluster
come out with the cable attached in back? Sorry if I ask dumb questions; this is all new to me.

77CDV
06-25-11, 01:05 AM
No, you do need to detach the speedo cable from the speedo housing, but it should just slide off.