Cadillac Owners Forum banner

How do I take care of my padded top?

751 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Cadillacboy 
#1 ·
I have not washed my car since I bought it about a month ago and the top is still in pretty nice condition, I'm afraid to put ANYTHING on the top... even water. I'm thinking of just using water and a cloth (no soap) with a lite touch. The top actually turned a lighter color when I used a cloth to take off some bird droppings, so there is one spot on the top that is a lighter color. I'm also thinking that the whole top will turn color if I try to clean it. I don't think that the color of the top as it is right now, would be from dirt. the color of my top is gray,as is my car (Triple Gray) the color of the spot is a silver color. Can anyone advise me on what to do?

#2 ·
A month without washing? The top turned a lighter color because it's DIRTY. Wash it as you would the rest of the car, with a quality automotive soap. And if you go through automatic car washes, (not that that's good for the paint in the first place) it won't hurt the top. Don't put any kind of protectants or "preservatives" on it. There's really nothing to worry about, pretend it isn't even there and enjoy the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.