: 472 Transmission question :(

crazypiccasso17
06-24-11, 12:53 AM
hi everyone, i have a 1969 coupe deville with a 472 and th400. long story short the th400 is 3 speed and i wanted to swap for a 4 speed. i was thinking of placing a 700r4 but am uncertain of fitment:hmm: does anyone know which transmission will fit directly on the 472? any info will be most grateful thanks for reading:cool2:

drmenard
06-24-11, 08:31 PM
your 69 caddy is a heavy car.. The only OD transmission that I know of that will bolt to the cad block is th200 4r.... These are weak for what you want... They can be built to stand up , but will cost maybe $2000... the tail on the transmission is shorter and the driveshaft would need work...If I was doing it, I would not change the transmission... I would go to a high gear rear... and work the govenor to open up the shift points... On my car I have a 2.56 rear gears and changed the springs and weights{ they sell a kit} to get a 1-2 shift at 20mph and a 2-3 shift at 31 mph .. And that at light throttle... At heavier throttle those shift points can go way up.. A stock govenor can get you in 3rd gear before 15mph... If you really want over drive get a Gear vendors . that bolts to the back of your th400..... You won't break that...

jayoldschool
06-26-11, 08:20 PM
Use a TH700R4 with an adapter plate. Get one from a 90-93 Caprice/Fleetwood/Roadmaster. Those are the strongest ones, stock. You can build them stronger. You can't use a 94-96 because it is computer controlled.

DouglasJRizzo
06-30-11, 10:06 PM
your 69 caddy is a heavy car.. The only OD transmission that I know of that will bolt to the cad block is th200 4r.... These are weak for what you want... They can be built to stand up , but will cost maybe $2000... the tail on the transmission is shorter and the driveshaft would need work...If I was doing it, I would not change the transmission... I would go to a high gear rear... and work the govenor to open up the shift points... On my car I have a 2.56 rear gears and changed the springs and weights{ they sell a kit} to get a 1-2 shift at 20mph and a 2-3 shift at 31 mph .. And that at light throttle... At heavier throttle those shift points can go way up.. A stock govenor can get you in 3rd gear before 15mph... If you really want over drive get a Gear vendors . that bolts to the back of your th400..... You won't break that...

I agree. The weight of the '69 Cad plus the huge torque output of the 472 is going to mush most modern AOD transmissions. The other solutions you mention are much more to my liking.