: JL audio w6v2 subs HELP!!!

cadillac15
06-23-11, 07:11 PM
I have a 2009 Escalde Ext. I bought the car new it now has just under 14k miles. I have recently put in the JL audio w6subs. I have them in the midgate box that Jl makes for them that is designed for EXT's and Avalanches. I have a JL1000/1D amp to power them. My air bag lights have been going off since I have put the system in. The senors that are being triggered are my right rear door sensor and my right passenger door sensor. I have had my car serviced 5 times and the problem has not been resolved yet. All the wiring has been done correctly because even Cadillac had their technicians look at it and verify it was done correctly. Cadillac is blaming the sensors going off on the subwoofers. I find this hard to believe because I am not the only person who has this setup, not to mention there are plenty of people that have much louder systems in this exact truck. Cadillac is now threatening to not warranty this problem and I will have to pay for the sensors to be replaced and have the system taken out. I called JL audio and they have never heard of this problem, so I really don't know what to do. If anyone has experienced this and knows how to fix it please tell me, or if you have any advice please let me know I am running out of options and would hate to get rid of the system.

bstiffmanofsteel
06-23-11, 08:12 PM
That is very unfortunate. Problem is they can void your warranty for almost any aftermarket add ons. I have an EXT with the same type set up and no problems with it at all.

Fadi
06-23-11, 08:15 PM
1st thing... It is against the law for any dealer employee to tell you that your warranty is void.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson%E2%80%93Moss_Warranty_Act

I install these stealth boxes at least 3 to 4 times per month and I have never, ever had an issue like this before. Take the car to another dealer, this dealer is trying hard to avoid fixing this under warranty.

"Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)). For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202)260-2080 or www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202)326-3128 or www.ftc.gov"

Fadi
06-23-11, 08:16 PM
100% false. They cannot void warranty. Please do not stand down. You have LOTS of rights here and you need to go to the TOP and even to the extreme if need be. If they are dumb enough to go to court you WILL WIN and you WILL get all your costs/fees back. It's in writing, they are breaking the law.

darkknight1999
06-23-11, 09:25 PM
I would disconnect the subs. Just to prove a point, but they have no leg to stand on. I've been installing aftermarket parts for years and years including some big systems... Its pretty hard to void a warranty with car audio equipment ;) Short of you installing something wrong and the truck burning to the ground, your covered under the Moss act. I had a dealer once try that crap with me... I printed out that act and walked in with it, handed it to the service manager and the GM and told them to "trust me, I'm not the one", fix the car. They both looked at it briefly... then fixed the car... under warranty. ;)

bstiffmanofsteel
06-23-11, 09:50 PM
I would disconnect the subs. Just to prove a point, but they have no leg to stand on. I've been installing aftermarket parts for years and years including some big systems... Its pretty hard to void a warranty with car audio equipment ;) Short of you installing something wrong and the truck burning to the ground, your covered under the Moss act. I had a dealer once try that crap with me... I printed out that act and walked in with it, handed it to the service manager and the GM and told them to "trust me, I'm not the one", fix the car. They both looked at it briefly... then fixed the car... under warranty. ;)

That's awesome. I meant to say they try that void the warranty stuff. I've seen them do it to someone once,

Mha
06-24-11, 12:35 AM
When I was getting my black outer window trim replaced under bu bmper2bumper, the guy said he he saw masking tape in the inside of my door. He said it "LOOKED" to have been painted and how if it had not bin done by GM it voided warranty and could have caused the window trim to peel. I was pissed! When my truck was getting looked at the first time(ording parts that I need including that window trim) I asked about getting the side cargo lid on my ext painted. He siad they did not do body work and didnt tell me anything about have to do it by a GM dealership. I then told the guy my car had a clean car fax and the only painting done was on the lids I had told the guy that ordeted my parts I was going to get done and how I wanted them painted and he never said anything about having to have it done by a GM dealership. He then said he would go on and cover it under bumper2bumper because they wanted my business in the future

cadillac15
06-25-11, 05:38 PM
Thank you for your help, I am going to Cadillac on early next week and will post what happens.

cadillac15
07-05-11, 06:49 PM
I went to cadillac with all this information and they seemed more willing to help now. I had them disconnect the subs, just so they agreed they were off. My biggest problem now is that I feel the airbag issue is definitely not a a result of the subs, but I think that it magnified a problem with the car that might not have come up if it wasn't for the sound system. How long should I leave the subs disconnected and do you have any other advice. Anyone else that has advice please respond too.