: Engine Oil Temp

PCBeachDP
06-23-11, 01:52 PM
Hello all,

Bought my BDE Coupe about six weeks ago, moving from a 2008 Z06. First I gotta say I love the V, and have never had so many positive comments on a car in my life! Yesterday the bagger at the grocery store pleaded with us to let him carry out our groceries so he could get a closer look.

One thing I miss from the Z is the ability to display engine oil temp on the DIC. I kept it displayed all the time so I would not pull high power from the engine below 150 degrees or so on oil temp. It is amazing how long it took an LS7 to come to temp even in sunny Florida. With our engines and the rpm turned by the blower it is probably even more important to wait for the oil to warm up, but sadly I cannot display oil temp.

The closest proxy I have for it is transmission temp, and was wondering if someone with custom gauges could give me an idea where transmission temp is when oil temp is about 150.

Thanks

PCBeachDP

baabootoo
06-23-11, 02:51 PM
That's the good thing with synthetic oil, it "takes the worry out of being close". I wouldn't even worry if it were over 100. I doubt that trans and engine oil will translate, but coolant and oil will.

550HP STSV
06-23-11, 04:49 PM
Engine oil temp is displayed on the DIC on STS-Vs. want to trade?

PCBeachDP
06-23-11, 09:48 PM
That's the good thing with synthetic oil, it "takes the worry out of being close". I wouldn't even worry if it were over 100. I doubt that trans and engine oil will translate, but coolant and oil will.

Coolant and oil temp did not correlate on the LS7 at all. Do you have a way to get oil temp on your car?

baabootoo
06-24-11, 12:15 AM
No, I don't even worry. Since we use synthetic, it has a life indicator, have a cooler, and the differential warning doesn't go off until 300, it's a non-issue for me.

serturbo
06-24-11, 02:05 AM
I think high IAT2 temps are more of a problem than low oil temps when it comes to power being cut. I'm guessing you'll be fine as long as coolant is up to normal operating temp.

Tuna
06-24-11, 10:52 AM
For the manual trans cars, we don't even get a temp for them.

I've been watching the oil pressure as a guage. When the temps are low, the oil pressure is around 50 at idle. As the car warms up, the oil pressure drops to the low 30's at idle. I figure that's warm enough to play.

M5eater
06-24-11, 11:28 AM
No, I don't even worry. Since we use synthetic, it has a life indicator, have a cooler, and the differential warning doesn't go off until 300, it's a non-issue for me.

I would have liked to have one, the sensor is obviously there, all they needed to do is add it to the scroll in DIC.

pmsteinm
06-24-11, 01:51 PM
I also used the oil pressure trick for a while since I missed the gauge from the V1. But after a while I noticed the real limit on how long to wait before playing was the tire temp (1st gear would just spin). With my drive cycle by the time I can push the car in something besides 1st I'm already warmed up. But I do miss the additional gauges the old V had.