: Sport Mode Lurching foward during downshifting???

algiorda
06-23-11, 08:02 AM
Does anyone else have trouble with their sport mode causing the car to lurch forward while downshifting? It seems there is a short pause where the car goes in neutral going from 3rd gear to 2nd gear. I'm only doing 2000-3000 rpm so the gear is correct for the speed.

Smokin' SRX
06-23-11, 09:07 AM
I always avoided going into 1st from 2nd if I was slowing down by Manual downshifting. It feels like neutral or almost like a surge, to me too. Other gear downshifts feel like a genuine lower gear and do slow the car. I asked once and Dealer told me it's normal. I didn't care enough about it to pursue since it's the other gears that I really like to "row" thru.'

So it ain't just you.

SS

Razorecko
06-24-11, 10:16 PM
What i dont understand is why at all in the first place make deaccelerating downshifts aggressive in sport mode ? Its not a stickshift and there is ZERO point to having a jarring downshift while deaccelerating. Upshifts & downshits while accelerating than yes. Not when going slower

Smokin' SRX
06-29-11, 12:05 AM
It feels just like a stick. A drop in RPMs requires the firm decel. Nature of the beast....... I use it to save the brakes alot.
SS

Razorecko
06-29-11, 02:46 PM
It feels just like a stick. A drop in RPMs requires the firm decel. Nature of the beast....... I use it to save the brakes alot.
SS

It's not saving the brakes that much. And the problem is its shouldnt feel like a stick on decel, only on accel

PJ1520
06-29-11, 04:22 PM
Any downshift not met with a corresponding increase in engine throttle to match the increased rpm required to maintain a given vehicle speed will be met with a forward lurch. That is normal in my book. Manual transmission downshifts require a blip of the throttle to smooth the downshift and prevent the lurch. Why would an automatic transmission be any different?

With regard to the other point, under routine driving conditions I'd rather use the brakes and eventually incur the brakes expense than put all of that unnecessary stress on the entire drivetrain. When I am driving aggressively, that is a different story.

PJ

Smokin' SRX
06-29-11, 10:30 PM
I do drive aggressively. LOL

Yes, your description is good but when I use the Manumatic to slow down w/o any gas, it works great, except 2 to 1st gear. ( slight surge) I don't mind, the brakes are ON by then. Gotta admit, I see your point on drivetrain stress, but I guess I think the tranny was designed to work this way.......to a point. Plus I enjoy playing with the stick!

Anyway, my brakes are 1/3 less used because I downshift when I see a red light coming (from 60MPH, not 30 MPH) or a hill requiring a bit more torque.

SS

KevinOpp
06-30-11, 01:26 AM
when i'm driving hard through the twisty up-and-down NY Catskill mountains, the aggressive downshifting really helps when you're braking hard at a turn. it really slows the car on top of the brake.

with that being siad, if the road smooths out and i see a stop coming, i'll often pop it back into Tour mode so i don't get the lurch at the stop.