: "Are men who flaunt flashy cars not the marrying kind?"

js615
06-22-11, 09:10 AM
...asks lonely researcher who drives a Kia. http://bit.ly/mJtcjF

Hmmm...clearly the Rice University scientists have not driven a V.

J.

Domsz06
06-22-11, 09:17 AM
lol!

My wife loves my cars, and I have a z and a v :)

Umrswimr
06-22-11, 09:22 AM
lol!

My wife loves my cars, and I have a z and a v :)

Yep. C5 and my V and I'm happily married.

EVIL_C5
06-22-11, 09:28 AM
read this last week, made me laugh.....

js615
06-22-11, 09:32 AM
For the record - my wife is the one that sought out our V1 in the first place and was more excited for me to get the V2 than when I got her a new SRX this past Winter.

Tuna
06-22-11, 09:59 AM
Met my wife at a Corvette club event - she showed up driving a Vette. Car guys just want car girls!

neuronbob
06-22-11, 01:27 PM
Great article, LOL!

Happily married here for almost 17 years and my wife tolerates my V and S2000. God bless her for allowing them, she rocks. :heart:

orconn
06-22-11, 02:05 PM
Can't you guys read? The researcher wasn't talking about the poor schleps who drive moderately priced and styled (i their class) cars like CTS-V's or Corvettes, she was about the kind of guys who drive "Porsches." The kind of insecure male who forks out two or three times what a given car should be worth to assure himself that he has the most prestigious and easily recognizable as such car he can find. This guy isn't just insecure about the size of his package, but suffers total insecurity about himself that he requires the very best alter ego money can buy!

It can easily be seen that personal needs such as these would not bode well for the proposition of a long term relationship, much less a lifetime of faithful marriage.

On the other hand, the wifey who lets her husband have toys like Corvettes and such knows the guy's adventurous spirit is easily quenched and he is far less likely to wonder from home!

brandondeleo
06-22-11, 03:43 PM
Personally, I think that saying men who drive vehicles like Porsches are insecure attention whores as a generality is not necessarily right. Arguably, a $40,000-$70,000 starting price for a Porsche Boxter, Cayenne, or Panamera is in a similar class as a $60,000 Corvette or a $50,000 CTS-V. Yes, there are those who use vehicles as package extensions, but that goes for any said vehicle. If that is true, then why is driving a $60,000 Corvette or a $50,000 STS any less pretentious?

77CDV
06-22-11, 03:53 PM
The kind of insecure male who forks out two or three times what a given car should be worth to assure himself that he has the most prestigious and easily recognizable as such car he can find. This guy isn't just insecure about the size of his package, but suffers total insecurity about himself that he requires the very best alter ego money can buy!

They don't call those cars penis extenders for naught. I have to admit, when I read the title of this thread, I was thinking of the older connonation of the phrase "not the marrying kind". :lol:

Aron9000
06-22-11, 05:13 PM
Just personal experience, I've only met ONE person who owns a 911 who isn't a tool bag. Of course he's loaded and has like 10 different cars, so its not like he has just the 911 because that's all he can afford.

Submariner409
06-22-11, 05:26 PM
The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

"Tool bag" = someone who buys a Cadillac and can't afford to maintain it properly, and so looks for low-buck Auto Zone maintenance items.

Porsche - I'd love to own a restored 911T or a Carrera 6. Who gives a flying damn what it would cost: they're fun to drive. Same for orconn's Lamborghini or my old Jag XK140-MC. Karen would love it, too.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...........................

orconn
06-22-11, 07:27 PM
The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys.

"Tool bag" = someone who buys a Cadillac and can't afford to maintain it properly, and so looks for low-buck Auto Zone maintenance items.

Porsche - I'd love to own a restored 911T or a Carrera 6. Who gives a flying damn what it would cost: they're fun to drive. Same for orconn's Lamborghini or my old Jag XK140-MC. Karen would love it, too.

If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen...........................

Amen!

Jesda
06-22-11, 07:45 PM
I will likely never marry.

I flaunt beaters.

Stingroo
06-22-11, 08:02 PM
You can bring one home with you while you're still abroad, Jesda. :lol:

Koooop
06-22-11, 11:32 PM
The author is a douche,

cadillac kevin
06-22-11, 11:58 PM
I flaunt a flashy car

...no, wait. I meant trashy. yeah thats it.

ThumperPup
06-23-11, 08:23 AM
im never getting married and my girl knows this
and she is still with me and i love flashy cars

vincentm
06-23-11, 09:43 AM
What always gives me a chuckle is im told by my wife and others that i drive an old person's car, and when i see a 60 something old yuppy male driving a 2011 corvette etc, i giggle, i should be driving a newer car, but here i am 33 yrs old and this 97 ETC is the newest car i've ever owned..

I grew up with my dad working on 57-59 Fairlanes, 76 charger, 65-67 impala's and 76 Nova, i just love old cars. My wife is feening for a 67 Camaro, that's the next one to add to the fleet. She loves old muscle cars.

Stingroo
06-23-11, 09:54 AM
My girlfriend doesn't have any interest in cars. She likes the Mazda RX8 because it "has a happy face". On the flip side, she thinks the Le Car is cute....

Once, I saw a red '63 SWC 'Vette, and I gawked and took a photo. I showed it to her, and all she could say was that the rear window reminded her of the red Power Ranger.

I don't know how I do it... :lol:

Rodya234
06-23-11, 10:09 AM
I find that girls don't really care about cars, they just like cars that look clean and nice. Most of the women in my life (my sister excluded) don't even have driver's licenses... :lol:

77CDV
06-23-11, 02:18 PM
My girlfriend doesn't have any interest in cars. She likes the Mazda RX8 because it "has a happy face". On the flip side, she thinks the Le Car is cute....

Once, I saw a red '63 SWC 'Vette, and I gawked and took a photo. I showed it to her, and all she could say was that the rear window reminded her of the red Power Ranger.

I don't know how I do it... :lol:

:facepalm:

Stingroo
06-23-11, 02:31 PM
I know Craig, I know....

Kev
06-23-11, 03:10 PM
What always gives me a chuckle is im told by my wife and others that i drive an old person's car, and when i see a 60 something old yuppy male driving a 2011 corvette etc, i giggle, i should be driving a newer car, but here i am 33 yrs old and this 97 ETC is the newest car i've ever owned..

I grew up with my dad working on 57-59 Fairlanes, 76 charger, 65-67 impala's and 76 Nova, i just love old cars. My wife is feening for a 67 Camaro, that's the next one to add to the fleet. She loves old muscle cars.Minor point of order;

At 60 something, I believe one can no longer be referred to as a 'yuppy'. At that age, they must be labeled 'ouppy'.

kthnx

orconn
06-23-11, 03:19 PM
Minor point of order;

At 60 something, I believe one can no longer be referred to as a 'yuppy'. At that age, they must be labeled 'ouppy'.

kthnx

Actually at age 60 you are long past "young upwardly mobile person." You are either suffering from an superextended (not what you think) ... mid life crisis or you just flat out like Corvettes!

Kev
06-23-11, 03:32 PM
Yes, to be blunt, at 60+ you've gone from "young urban professional" to "old urban professional" a couple of decades back!

orconn
06-23-11, 03:45 PM
Yes, to be blunt, at 60+ you've gone from "young urban professional" to "old urban professional" a couple of decades back!

Yeah, I'm getting so old that I couldn't remember what "yuppy" stood for!

gdwriter
06-23-11, 04:02 PM
Say Vincent, tell me more about those Impalas. Any pictures?

RippyPartsDept
06-23-11, 04:37 PM
Let me take this off topic a bit and say this:

TP: your sig line should say "I chrome in peace :22s:"

maeng9981
06-25-11, 12:02 AM

Everyone says my Northstars are for old people's but they don't know.... they don't believe that these are indeed mine and I put lots of effort to get them. They always ask if I brought my grandparent's car. Pretty understandable looking at my age.

Well, except my girlfriend, who thinks my Seville is the cleanest and the most elegant car in the world...

RippyPartsDept
06-25-11, 08:52 AM
Well, except my girlfriend, who thinks my Seville is the cleanest and the most elegant car in the world...

keeper

vincentm
06-25-11, 09:17 AM
keeper

Exactly

maeng9981
06-26-11, 11:45 AM
keeper

Definitely. :thumbsup:

DouglasJRizzo
06-26-11, 01:07 PM
This is somewhat of an odd thread. It's difficult to wedge someone into a particular group or category by the car they drive. My daily driver is an '04 Cavalier. Dull silver 4 door and as innocuous as they come. My two hearses, on the other hand, bring all kinds of reactions from others when I drive them. Some good, some VERY bad. The Thunderbirds tend to bring smiles from most folk, but the occasional sneer from the "two seat" crowd. I care not a bit.

It's kinda tough to say that someone who drives a 'vette or similar is in "mid life crises". That's a stretch. I know of a guy who broke his back his whole life working to build a better life for him and his family - working 2, sometimes 3 jobs. He finally had enough scratch to buy the Corvette he always wanted but could never afford - just because he was in his 50s, that means he can't own one? Because he's not a 20 or 30 something means that no matter what, it's too late? I don't think that's right at all. It seems to me, that if you don't make $500k a year by the time you're 28, you're supposed to just give up on wanting the ride you've always liked - Vette, Harley, whatever, "sorry, only dull Japanese sedans for you, you didn't make the big leagues before 30." It's just plain wrong.

I'm 48 this October, it took me all these years to get the position in life where I could get the Thunderbirds and Cadillacs I've always wanted. At 28 I was going to college at night and working full time in the family business - rotten bastards that they were. So I'm screwed because I wasn't already at the six figure mark? uh-uh... I'm making up for lost time MY WAY, and it's not "mid life crises" g--damnit it's because I finally have the money to do it, just like the guy who finally got that red vette he had a picture of all those years.

I would've sold my soul to the devil in hell for a dollar to be one of the "under 30 over six figures" crowd, but life didn't work that way for me. I'll be g-ddamned to hell if I just give up now because I'm not 30 or under.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to wash the '67 tbird and '75 hearse.

concorso
06-26-11, 02:29 PM
I love the suggestion that men buy expensive flashy cars solely to show off to women. They couldnt possible like the cars themselves... Apparently guys are not allowed to spend the money they worked hard to get, on things they like?

Lets assume Porsche owner buys himself Kia Soul so hes not driving something that screams "Im filthy rich". WHat happens when the interested woman finds out hes very rich? Will she be ok driving a Toyota Carolla knowing that the guy could be buying her a Lexus RX?

Its funnny that all rich guys are pigs, while the women trying to date them always have the best intentions. Maybe the rich guy doesnt want to get married to the woman because shes only interested in his pocketbook.

orconn
06-26-11, 02:36 PM
Hey, we're talking stereo types here, don't interject reality!

concorso
06-26-11, 03:06 PM
Hey, we're talking stereo types here, don't interject reality!Yea, facts and reality dont really matter in her article, hey? It seems journalism and the quest for truth are not as mutually inclusive as they use to be...

My guess is shes an average looking woman with a tonnne of baggage who grew up being told she was quite the catch. Since she singles out the Porsche (as a sports car/brand, theyre probably the most subdued and least flashy and the polar opposite of Lamborghini, whose owners actually have the reputation she doesnt like), it would seem this article stems from a bad experience with a P-car owner...
Look at me, I can guesterotype, too. :)

Aron9000
06-26-11, 11:56 PM
This is somewhat of an odd thread. It's difficult to wedge someone into a particular group or category by the car they drive. My daily driver is an '04 Cavalier. Dull silver 4 door and as innocuous as they come. My two hearses, on the other hand, bring all kinds of reactions from others when I drive them. Some good, some VERY bad. The Thunderbirds tend to bring smiles from most folk, but the occasional sneer from the "two seat" crowd. I care not a bit.

It's kinda tough to say that someone who drives a 'vette or similar is in "mid life crises". That's a stretch. I know of a guy who broke his back his whole life working to build a better life for him and his family - working 2, sometimes 3 jobs. He finally had enough scratch to buy the Corvette he always wanted but could never afford - just because he was in his 50s, that means he can't own one? Because he's not a 20 or 30 something means that no matter what, it's too late? I don't think that's right at all. It seems to me, that if you don't make $500k a year by the time you're 28, you're supposed to just give up on wanting the ride you've always liked - Vette, Harley, whatever, "sorry, only dull Japanese sedans for you, you didn't make the big leagues before 30." It's just plain wrong.

I'm 48 this October, it took me all these years to get the position in life where I could get the Thunderbirds and Cadillacs I've always wanted. At 28 I was going to college at night and working full time in the family business - rotten bastards that they were. So I'm screwed because I wasn't already at the six figure mark? uh-uh... I'm making up for lost time MY WAY, and it's not "mid life crises" g--damnit it's because I finally have the money to do it, just like the guy who finally got that red vette he had a picture of all those years.

I would've sold my soul to the devil in hell for a dollar to be one of the "under 30 over six figures" crowd, but life didn't work that way for me. I'll be g-ddamned to hell if I just give up now because I'm not 30 or under.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to wash the '67 tbird and '75 hearse.

THANK YOU!!! The reason you see older guys with the expensive, flashy cars is they are the only people who can afford them. Even if you're say, early, mid 30's, with an established career making 6 figures, you aren't going to go out and buy a $75,000 Vette. You've got kids, or kids on the way, which are very expensive. The old guy in his 50's or 60's, his kids are out of college, and if he's been sucessful in the workplace, he has a TON of disposible income that was paying for a 40k a year college tution a few years ago but is now his toy fund.

Jesda
06-27-11, 12:13 AM
Even dudes are into dudes with flashy cars. The ghays love Porsches and Audis.

ga_etc
06-27-11, 12:26 AM
He speaks from experience.

Koooop
06-27-11, 12:29 AM
I think the mid life crisis is the result of a few things. At (nearly) 50;

1) I can afford better stuff.
2) My kids are older and I have a few moments to spare for myself.
3) I can afford better stuff.
4) You get close to 50 and you realize that your gas gauge of life is below half and you better get on it!
5) I can afford better stuff.
6) I'm close to 50, I can afford better stuff and I'm going to get some better stuff.

Truth be told, my mid life crisis started at 17, it's just continuing.

brandondeleo
06-27-11, 12:31 AM
I see Caddy hearses on occasion, and I get a kick out of them, but many people are so thrown by them that they can't take it. I would like to take an older Caddy hearse and flip the interior. TVs, stereo, like a mini limo. Haha.

ga_etc
06-27-11, 12:38 AM
Air mattress and a cooler. Instant camper.

Jesda
06-27-11, 12:41 AM
He speaks from experience.

I'm a virgin I swear on Nancy Pelosi's golden reputation

brandondeleo
06-27-11, 12:42 AM
I'm a virgin I swear on Nancy Pelosi's golden reputation Ha! :histeric:

Destroyer
06-27-11, 01:00 AM
Can't you guys read? The researcher wasn't talking about the poor schleps who drive moderately priced and styled (i their class) cars like CTS-V's or Corvettes, she was about the kind of guys who drive "Porsches." I noticed that too. Many here started giving themselves too much credit. Nobody mentioned your CTS-V's in the article guys. Nice to hear how happily married you are though! :)

Destroyer
06-27-11, 01:04 AM
I'm a virgin I personally believe you. :)

Destroyer
06-27-11, 01:05 AM
im never getting marriedI don't doubt that :)

Destroyer
06-27-11, 01:09 AM
Everyone says my Northstars are for old people...................Well, except my girlfriend, who thinks my Seville is the cleanest and the most elegant car in the world...She's young and dumb. She will grow out of it. :)

brandondeleo
06-27-11, 01:13 AM
Hey, the STS is a great looking car. Except for the rear end, never been very fond of that set up. Lol. I miss the old school Cadillac vertical taillights. The ones nowadays don't live up to them. It is such a major Caddy trait that they should bring it back. That is one of the many reasons I prefer a '99 DeVille to a 2000.

maeng9981
06-27-11, 03:40 PM
She's young and dumb. She will grow out of it. :)

We will see. Keep your Northstar hatred inside of you.

Jesda
06-27-11, 03:55 PM
I personally believe you. :)

Stop trying to lure me with your Jaaaaaaaaaaag.

Jesda
06-27-11, 03:56 PM
She's young and dumb. She will grow out of it. :)

And stop being a douchebag.

orconn
06-27-11, 03:57 PM
Destroyer's antagonism against the Northstar has gotten so "knee jerk" he's begun to sound like a Liberal Democrat!

Jesda
06-27-11, 04:09 PM
The key to being an effective troll is subtlety and infrequency. If you're harsh and repetitive, you look like an angry child.

Fine line.

gdwriter
06-27-11, 05:04 PM
I'm a virgin I swear on Nancy Pelosi's golden reputationDidn't you say your virginity grew back?

Jesda
06-27-11, 05:06 PM
Didn't you say your virginity grew back?

Like mold :histeric:

ga_etc
06-27-11, 06:14 PM
Like mold :histeric:

That brings bad images to mind.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-27-11, 06:18 PM
That brings bad images to mind.

That reminds me of that joke about the anorexics with a yeast infection.

DouglasJRizzo
06-27-11, 07:19 PM
THANK YOU!!! The reason you see older guys with the expensive, flashy cars is they are the only people who can afford them. Even if you're say, early, mid 30's, with an established career making 6 figures, you aren't going to go out and buy a $75,000 Vette. You've got kids, or kids on the way, which are very expensive. The old guy in his 50's or 60's, his kids are out of college, and if he's been sucessful in the workplace, he has a TON of disposible income that was paying for a 40k a year college tuition a few years ago but is now his toy fund.

You're welcome.

But really, if you think about it, the only ridiculous part to this whole thing is that there are precious few people younger than their 50s or 60s that can really afford all this stuff. Even the rarefied air of under 30 and over six figures, there are family concerns and other things that could get in the way of buying toys. It's one of the things that really burns me - someone telling me that "oh, you're almost 50, sorry too late for the fun stuff.." F**** you, if I'm a 50 or 60 something and want a blood red 'Vette, I should go out and buy one - provided I can afford it. It has nothing to do with "package extension" or "mid life crises" - it's EVERYTHING to do with me FINALLY enjoying the fruits of DECADES of back breaking labor.

I worked for 28 years in a family owned business. One that my dad started. He was 88 my uncle 86. They couldn't agree on a settlement or transfer so they let it rot - $15mil a year, it now has $200 in the bank - not $200k, $200... I escaped with my tool box and nearly 30 years of experience in the machine shop, which was like stain on my resume that wouldn't go away. I finally got a job that pays me what I'm worth, and I own my own little shop as well. But it took YEARS. Not over night at age 26, but YEARS of work and late nights. So I should just drive Altimas because I didn't make $500k when I was barely out of college? F*** no!

Koooop
06-27-11, 07:56 PM
I'm almost 50 and I want more Horsepower.

(I also want a new driveway, but the Horsepower won)

orconn
06-27-11, 08:23 PM
I am 67, and while horsepower is fine I'd like to see styling re-assert itself in the auto marketplace. As the cars just seem to put on weight, apparently mimicking the buying public, I guess the higher horsepower is necessitated by the bulk of the machines and their equally bloated passengers. Unfortunately covering these large blobs with eye catching body work does not seem to be a priority of automakers, rather they think that a few sculpted squiggles on an otherwise ubiquitous "four door coupe" with a high belt line is enough to satisfy the aesthetic tastes of our ever porkier bourgeoisie. How fast I get to sixty in one of these barges is no longer relevant to me, when I have to do it in an ever thirstier automotive mediocrity!

agp
06-30-11, 03:22 PM
That has got to be one of the most ridiculous articles I have ever read.
I love cars that are great to look at and can get me from point A to point B in the most exciting way. I don't care what other effects it has on others' perception of me, and it is not my intention to affect others' perception of me either.

GizmoQ
07-01-11, 08:03 PM
I'm almost 50 and I want more Horsepower.

(I also want a new driveway, but the Horsepower won)

Me, too, and now that I've had the horsepower for a year, I need that driveway even moreso.

Koooop
07-03-11, 01:24 AM
I'm going back to the article to see if there is a place to blog.