: Will Replacing VCIM in 2007 void vehicle warranty

ldyoung71
06-22-11, 09:24 AM
I have a 2007 Escalade that is still under warranty (it has 40,xxx miles on it). It is a certified cadillac so the warranty is 100,000 mile bumper to bumper til 2013. One thing they did not have in the 07's or 08's was integrated bluetooth. I have read on many threads that you can put in a vcim from a new vehicle and get bluetooth to work through the onstar microphone, etc. Do you think putting in a different VCIM will void out my certified warranty? And I'm referring to something like if the transmission goes out or a cracked head, etc. I wouldn't really care if they wouldn't warranty the radio anymore, or OnStar componants.

escaladeext1010
06-22-11, 10:23 AM
i was wondering where i can get a vcim for my 07 escalade. and how i go about installing it.

ldyoung71
06-22-11, 10:34 AM
i was wondering where i can get a vcim for my 07 escalade. and how i go about installing it.

You and me both! I still have not acquired one, but am looking hard. I just wanted to make sure I still get GPS turn by turn Nav if/when I do find one.

escaladeext1010
06-22-11, 10:43 AM
i believe everything works the same except you would get bluetooth through onstar.

MrHolland
06-22-11, 12:42 PM
I don't think it would void your warranty, especially since it has nothing to do with the powertrain. This question would probably be better suited for Elizabeth from Cadillac Customer Service, she reads most of these posts so hopefully she'll chime in.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-22-11, 03:04 PM
ldyoung71,

Could you please provide me with your VIN? I would like to look into this for you.

Thank you

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

tomm
06-22-11, 03:25 PM
Cant see how you would have any warranty issue with replacing this type of module. You could always swap your old one back in if you were concerned if you had a big issue ever occur. Heck in my old CTS I swapped the whole head unit from non Nav to the factory navigation and I had no warranty issues with anything.

RippyPartsDept
06-22-11, 03:34 PM
it really will depend on your dealer, but just do what tomm is suggesting and hold on to your original to swap back if you have to (or for when you sell it)

ldyoung71
06-22-11, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the responses. I assume it is easy to do the swap yourself?? I see that there are directions on the boards with pics.

fivepix
06-22-11, 05:03 PM
I would think the warranty would be voided since you are replacing it with a part that didn't come with the 07 model year. I know it's the same component as the 07 but has a few different features like blue tooth etc... but the features were not intended for older models.

I've heard that people have asked dealers to replace their vcim with newer ones and dealer telling them that they CAN but would not be covered under warranty if they had any issues. Something about the part number having to match otherwise GM will not cover it. Don't quote me this tho I'll see if I can find the thread I read all this on...

but RippyPartsDept is right it might depend on your dealership.

RippyPartsDept
06-22-11, 05:45 PM
To clarify my thoughts on this a bit:

anything dealing with the VCIM would not be warranty-able ... obviously

other items should still be warranty-able but if your dealer declines you will have to fight them over it

(if you don't mention it they'll probably never know... unless you have them chasing some electrical problem and they follow it back to the VCIM)

ldyoung71
06-22-11, 07:17 PM
Rippy,

Thanks. I think that was the answer that I was wanting. I just wanted to make sure that they wouldn't void the warranty on the entire vehicle. As you stated, I would expect it to be void on onstar/bluetooth vcim related issues.

Big Windy Ext
06-22-11, 08:11 PM
It will not be an issue unless you damage something in the removal , which I did , I broke one of the radio antenna leads . I paid a stereo shop to repair it . My dealer(service writer) is aware of some of my mods from taking my vehicle home to find quirky noises,trans shifting, and a few more when it has been an intermittent problem . He has even offered to repair my hid fog when a ballast went bad (not warranty) As long as the vcim or any mods are not the direct cause of a problem, it should never be an issue.

gragravar
06-24-11, 11:07 AM
There is something called the magnuson moss warranty act which prohibits invalidating a warranty based on use on non-original parts. Unless of course that part caused the specific failure. I think a dealer would have difficulty showing that a vcim in any way caused a transmission or head problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson–Moss_Warranty_Act

JimmydaGreek
06-28-11, 06:22 PM
Now, since my question also got answered by warranty not being voided, where do we get our hands on these bluetooth VCIM's? I read that the dealer will not sell you one unless yours failed under warranty or something, GM has these things locked up. So, how do I go about getting one of these for my 07 ESV? Thanks in advance...

RippyPartsDept
06-28-11, 06:29 PM
ebay... there's at least one lengthy thread here dealing with people looking for, finding, and spreading the word about this mod...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/191111-who-knows-where-find-part-20783877-a.html

found it for you ... over 300 posts discussing this issue... lots of good info there if you're willing to spend the time reading

JimmydaGreek
06-28-11, 08:09 PM
ebay... there's at least one lengthy thread here dealing with people looking for, finding, and spreading the word about this mod...

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-escalade-ext-esv-forum-2007/191111-who-knows-where-find-part-20783877-a.html

found it for you ... over 300 posts discussing this issue... lots of good info there if you're willing to spend the time reading

Thanks, I actually just read through the entire thread and contacted the guy selling a few to see if he still has any. Ebay is fresh out at the moment so I hope I can find a couple here shortly. I want one for my Escalade and one for my Avalanche. Thanks again for the help as you did with my VIN build sheet. ;)

RippyPartsDept
06-29-11, 10:13 AM
no problem