: Last Chance For Lincoln

Lord Cadillac
06-21-11, 03:19 PM
Dealers gathered in Detroit for an annual meeting were told that Ford (http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford.htm)will spend the money on what Ford President of the Americas Mark Fields calls the automaker’s “last chance.”
Lincoln’s precipitous decline saw it sell just 85,828 cars in the United States last year, a figure dwarfed by just one of rival BMW’s lines – its 3-Series sold 100,910 units in 2010. Sales are off a further 8 percent this year and could drop even more next year when the company’s fleet-heavy Town Car, which accounts for nearly one in six sales, is dropped.

Read more...

(http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-to-drop-1b-on-last-chance-lincoln-turnaround-efforts.html#)In my opinion, Lincoln is finished. I really don't get why Ford can do what it did with Jaguar but can't save Lincoln...

dkozloski
06-21-11, 03:26 PM
Lincolns have been boring since the days of the Mexican Roadrace cars with the original ball-joint suspensions. When I think Lincoln, I think blah.

orconn
06-21-11, 03:34 PM
Lincoln has always been a distant second to Cadillac among American "luxury" brands in sales. While some especially neat cars have been produced by the Lincoln Division, in recent years their models have fallen short. To be honest if Lincoln were to leave the market I wouldn't miss it, we just don't need more "frosted" Fords cluttering up the landscape (doesn't Ford wish!).

Lord Cadillac
06-21-11, 03:49 PM
It'll be interesting when Ford is just one brand - Ford. That's it. Nothing else. I know they hold stake in Mazda and I think Aston Martin - but whatever. This would be like GM being just GM. No Chevy, GMC, Buick, Opel, Vauxhall, Holden and Cadillac.

Submariner409
06-21-11, 03:52 PM
A personal opinion: Friend of ours has a Town Car, couple of years old. Has always had some sort of bulky Lincoln. We ride along on dinner outings occasionally. The damn thing rattles, leaks at both lower windshield corners, rides like a bowl of Jell-O and actually looks like an upside-down bar of Dove soap (with a blue fabric top). The sound system is sort of like many people mumbling in a big sewer (but Jack does listen to XM sonic wallpaper). The car is frumpy, sort of an upscale Grand Marquis (also frumpy). I borrowed a friend's DHS (2004) for 3 days during my brake change - the DHS blew the (newer) Town Car away any way you want to cut it.

ThumperPup
06-21-11, 04:04 PM
I have Considered Lincoln Finished ever since they Announced the End of the Continental Model
i feel that if they bring back like the Mark Coups without the new retro style but just a good nice coup they might turn it around after a year or 2
the problem with lincoln is they just suck and they keep making there cars all look the same in my opinion they have already been finished

orconn
06-21-11, 04:13 PM
If Ford were to try and retain the Lincoln brand, they should reach all the way back to 1961 and try and duplicate the Continentals of that era. Something unique in the marketplace, some thing that would capture the style that Edsel brought to Lincoln with the design and introduction of the original Continental back in 1940. Anything less and Ford shouldn't even try; it would just be a waste of the stockholders capital.

I don't know who has been in charge of Ford styling for that last few years, but they should be sent packing. A new Lincoln would need inspired styling, no more of the hum drum copycat styling with the hideous face that keeps all away from a Ford-Lincoln showroom!

Submariner409
06-21-11, 04:17 PM
I dunno.............I'll bet that Lincoln could pull off another screamer version of the ??? Mk VIII ????..............but that, too is a niche market like the CTS-V. What was the pretty Lincoln that destroyer had ??

Playdrv4me
06-21-11, 04:18 PM
The Continental was a good car but even then it lagged behind the Seville. Frankly, I don't think the automotive landscape would be all that worse off without Lincoln anyway. There are ZERO standalone Lincoln dealers that I know of left, and a TON of standalone Ford dealers (like Rusty Eck Ford that has ALWAYS BEEN JUST Ford and makes a KILLING with it). It almost seems as if Ford would do better bringing the excellent Ford line upscale, because in reality that's ALL Lincoln IS. Think about it, how many specialty Lincolns have there been in the past 20 years as opposed to ALL the high end specialty Ford products (just under SVO and SVT ALONE).

I along with many others would bemoan the loss of the nameplate, but that's all it is anymore, just a name. It's like one of those TV shows you love that has such a money hungry production crew they keep producing it well past the point that it "jumps the shark". Lincoln jumped the shark a long while ago.

Funny, I bet no one here genuinely considers the Chrysler brand a "luxury" car maker anymore, yet if we sat down and compared sales numbers of JUST Chrysler 300s with ALL the cars Lincoln sold last year, it would be a sobering experience.

Jim, Destroyer had a Mark VIII.

Playdrv4me
06-21-11, 04:26 PM
Here's the real irony too... If Ford were to dump the Lincoln brand, they would not only help themselves, but they'd also give Cadillac a larger marketshare as well. American automakers have to consider EACHOTHER as much as themselves if they have any hope of protecting their home market. The elimination of Lincoln would be a win-win for both Ford *and* GM.

Destroyer
06-21-11, 06:56 PM
I agree with everyone. Lincoln has been outclassed by all the foreign competition and yes, Cadillac. I cannot think of a Lincoln that I want. Even though I'm not crazy about most new(er) Cadillacs, I to want a newer CTS-V. :yup:

amunderdog
06-21-11, 09:00 PM
I thought this was a fun read.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/10/review-2010-lincoln-mks/

Stingroo
06-21-11, 09:33 PM
Needs moar Mark IX.

DouglasJRizzo
06-21-11, 10:10 PM
Lincoln had, in the past, it's own niche market and produced solid luxury cars that could stand shoulder to shoulder with anything. CAFE regs, SUV's and downsizing have made it nearly impossible to produce another Conti, Town car, or Mark like they did when you could park a Mark IV at a restaurant and it wouldn't look cheap next to a euro sedan.

Other brands make the buyer pay the guzzler tax - Lincoln should start building am S class or LS killer and taxes be damned. But i doubt Mullaly and crew have the guts for this. Most car execs don't.

Lord Cadillac
06-21-11, 11:12 PM
Giving up is much easier.

Lincoln should start building am S class or LS killer and taxes be damned. But i doubt Mullaly and crew have the guts for this. Most car execs don't.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-21-11, 11:41 PM
I'd be very sad to see Lincoln as a whole go, but their current lineup needs to be canned. Like Orconn said, they need to return to their best designs from the past for inspiration for the future. The '61 Continental is arguably their best design ever and could easily be freshened up for a sexy, desirable modern day full sized Lincoln sedan. FoMoCo did a concept Connie back in '02 that was divine.

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Lincoln-Continental_Concept_2002_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Lincoln really kicked ass when traditional full size luxury sedans were popular (50's-'80s), ever since then they've been playing catch up, and bigtime. IMO their last truly desirable car was the Mark VIII, but the LS V8 and 4.6 Continentals deserve a nod.

orconn
06-21-11, 11:51 PM
I'd be very sad to see Lincoln as a whole go, but their current lineup needs to be canned. Like Orconn said, they need to return to their best designs from the past for inspiration for the future. The '61 Continental is arguably their best design ever and could easily be freshened up for a sexy, desirable modern day full sized Lincoln sedan. FoMoCo did a concept Connie back in '02 that was divine.

http://img2.netcarshow.com/Lincoln-Continental_Concept_2002_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Lincoln really kicked ass when traditional full size luxury sedans were popular (50's-'80s), ever since then they've been playing catch up, and bigtime. IMO their last truly desirable car was the Mark VIII, but the LS V8 and 4.6 Continentals deserve a nod.

The design above would be a good starting point for a new Lincoln personal luxury sedan .... rear wheel drive and apply what was learned from designing Jaguars to get the thing to handle well. Make it out of quality materials and keep the production line at a moderate pace so the the car was well put together. Price it at
$80,000 and make it worth it, They would sell a ton of them and put Lincoln back in the game, all the while boosting the prestige and desirabilty of Ford products as a whole!

ben.gators
06-22-11, 12:19 AM
Lincoln was gone many years ago! The cars called Lincoln now are nothing more that fully loaded Ford cars....

Playdrv4me
06-22-11, 01:24 AM

Apparently, someone else ran with most of that idea...

http://static.cargurus.com/images/site/2008/09/29/09/50/2008_chrysler_300c_srt-8-pic-19266.jpeg

SDCaddyLacky
06-22-11, 03:11 AM
Chrysler was the only U.S. Auto maker that had the balls to create and design such a bold looking car, like the 300 above. These are MAN cars, everything else on the street today looks soft. GM and Ford haven't answered back to the 300. That Lincoln concept should have made it to production. It was a stunning example what current Lincoln's could of looked like, especially a Continental revival.

Lincoln has always been an ultra conservative luxury car brand. From their designs, to it's upper management culture, is conservative. Lincoln hurt itself throughout the years by being this way. And now it's hurting them worse than ever before.

Obviously the older Lincolns were awesome, from the 60's-the late 70's, Continentals, Town Cars, and Marks look like real luxury cars which had true class and were built to a high standard. I would even say, they were probably better cars than Cadillac's to a certain extent back then.

But..

Lincoln usually lagged behind Cadillac in performance and unique innovation. This also was another grey area for the brand, constantly under achieving in HP, and handling/ braking performance.

Town Cars have a history of riding like a waterbed, and leaning heavily in corner turns. Cadillac's wasn't as bad in this comparison.

Lincoln used to be something, and meant something great in the luxury car market. Those days are long over, and have been for 30 years.

ThumperPup
06-22-11, 08:15 AM
yeah the 300 was the only car i think that had enought balls to come out Chrysler was not scared
and GM and Ford where Prissys about it

Im not sure if the Conti proto type would brought into production would be worth 80k to me but
i and many others i know where ready to go out and buy it the second it hit the dealers
i know i would have payed about 50k for it but no more
anything over 50k and im heading to Mercedes or Lexus i always said

thebigjimsho
06-22-11, 08:46 AM
Yeah, GM's CTS has been an utter failure. Bland styling, horrible driving dynamics, poor powertrains. And it only came out 2 years before the 300...

Lord Cadillac
06-22-11, 10:56 AM
Lincoln could start with one model that everybody has to have. They don't need to revive the whole lineup right away. It would be nice if they could come back with an entire lineup of awesome vehicles in a single generation - but that's not going to happen. The car can be big or small - it doesn't matter. It just needs to be wanted.

When I was a sports fan I liked the Yankees. Derek Jeter was pretty much the best shortstop in baseball. All he did was play Shortstop. Shortstop was his life. He probably dreamed about it. He was the best at what he did. Luis Sojo (ever heard of him?) was good in ALL areas. First base, second base, short stop, third base, left field, center field, right field - he even PITCHED in relief on occasion. Imagine that? He was an extremely well-rounded player. But he sat on the bench 99% of the time because he wasn't GREAT at anything.

This reminds me of what Lincoln wants to do. They want to do a little bit of this and a little bit of that to their entire lineup. Bad idea. A little bit of this and that isn't going to save them. They need one model that everybody has to have - like Chrysler did with the 300. After that, move on to the next vehicle.

ThumperPup
06-22-11, 11:12 AM
x2
x2

Lincoln could start with one model that everybody has to have. They don't need to revive the whole lineup right away. It would be nice if they could come back with an entire lineup of awesome vehicles in a single generation - but that's not going to happen. The car can be big or small - it doesn't matter. It just needs to be wanted.

This reminds me of what Lincoln wants to do. They want to do a little bit of this and a little bit of that to their entire lineup. Bad idea. A little bit of this and that isn't going to save them. They need one model that everybody has to have - like Chrysler did with the 300. After that, move on to the next vehicle.

77CDV
06-22-11, 01:24 PM
I knew Lincoln was toast as soon as they decided to drop the Town Car. The remaining line up is nearly indistinguishable from its Ford counterparts. Not that recent TCs were all that great, but at least they didn't look so blatantly like a regrilled Ford. I can't even look at Lincoln as a luxury car anymore.

orconn
06-22-11, 01:48 PM
Lincoln could have a real winner if they would just think outside the box . They could come up with a one model luxury car that looks "tastefully" unique, not some reiteration of the current scultured from the same block of mediocrity that everyone else is doing. Make it classically stylish, hell do a refined "long hood, short trunk with moderate but elegant detail trim.

Be sure to put a decent auto trans (buy it from GM like everyone else).

The interior should be something really special, offering very fine velour as well as top quality leather. Offer a variety of interior colors and exterior colors.

But above all make sure the car is assembled with carefully with top quality materials.

Lord Cadillac
06-22-11, 02:02 PM
Exactly. One model that everyone must have - with two or three different engine choices and an adjustable suspension to make everyone happy.

Lincoln could have a real winner if they would just think outside the box . They could come up with a one model luxury car that looks "tastefully" unique, not some reiteration of the current scultured from the same block of mediocrity that everyone else is doing. Make it classically stylish, hell do a refined "long hood, short trunk with moderate but elegant detail trim.

Be sure to put a decent auto trans (buy it from GM like everyone else).

The interior should be something really special, offering very fine velour as well as top quality leather. Offer a variety of interior colors and exterior colors.

But above all make sure the car is assembled with carefully with top quality materials.

Aron9000
06-22-11, 05:09 PM
I agree that Lincoln needs that "one" model, and IMO there is a gaping hole in the 50-70k large, RWD, V8 American sedan. It would be funny if they caught Cadillac with their pants down and came first to market with this idea. Traditional American luxury isn't dead, its just that Lincoln and Cadillac never did anything to move it forward for the past 15 years. The reason Chrysler has been so successful with the 300 IMO is that it has no real competition from Ford or GM.

thebigjimsho
06-22-11, 05:30 PM
Well, Ford is supposed to be developing a new RWD large car platform. So who knows??

billc83
06-22-11, 06:19 PM
Ford's decision not to green light the 2002 Continential concept was very similar to GM's decision to shelf the Sixteen. But Lincoln isn't getting any (much needed) nods to its concept's styling.

DouglasJRizzo
06-22-11, 08:02 PM
I agree.

Jesda
06-22-11, 08:20 PM
Well, thats what happens when you name your brand after a terrible president.

They see me trollin'
They hatin'

77CDV
06-22-11, 08:43 PM

They see me trollin'
They hatin'

There's a car named Fillmore?

Jesda
06-22-11, 08:53 PM
Poor, poor Millard.

thebigjimsho
06-22-11, 10:57 PM
I will design the Romney...

billc83
06-23-11, 07:34 AM
Never thought about the Pierce-Arrow like that before...

And Pierce was one of our worst Presidents. Consistantly ranked low; usually beating out only James Buchanan.

Lord Cadillac
06-23-11, 10:57 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2391uu-L3VY/TW1ioCTc5tI/AAAAAAAAbf8/ICTrx-frBHo/s1600/LincolnMKL.jpg

Lord Cadillac
06-23-11, 10:58 AM
http://www.portwallpaper.com/imgwal/lincoln-concept.jpg

hueterm
06-23-11, 11:06 AM
Yeah...they will NEVER make anything that looks as good as the two above... All Ford wants to do is sell clown cars like the Focus...

M5eater
06-23-11, 11:13 AM
I knew Lincoln was toast as soon as they decided to drop the Town Car. The remaining line up is nearly indistinguishable from its Ford counterparts. Not that recent TCs were all that great, but at least they didn't look so blatantly like a regrilled Ford. I can't even look at Lincoln as a luxury car anymore.

that's the entire reason they're defunct right now, and why mercury went south. I've been in an mkz, it's fine as a fusion but when you take a direct copy and dress it up it(let's be honest, bumpers, grill and tail lamps do not new car make) makes everything feel cheap and boring. I honestly enjoyed the impala morethan the mkz, as it wasent trying to be something it's not. As long as they're only offering interior 'upgrades' to standard fords they're toast. most of the reason lexus Acura and infinity are successful is because they acutally have their own models, or at least offer *major* refreshes of the existing model it's based off of. give me a TL-SH, G37s or IS-F Lincoln that won't put me to sleep or make me feel like I'm still driving a rebadge and I'll be happy.

thebigjimsho
06-23-11, 11:42 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2391uu-L3VY/TW1ioCTc5tI/AAAAAAAAbf8/ICTrx-frBHo/s1600/LincolnMKL.jpgSee, that's what pisses me off. I can understand them killing off the TC. It just doesn't sell outside of fleet sales. But why not mildly mod an MkS for livery duty? The above looks like a stretched and touched up version of an MkS. They're doing it for the ugly MkT Town Car. Why??

M5eater
06-23-11, 12:31 PM
See, that's what pisses me off. I can understand them killing off the TC. It just doesn't sell outside of fleet sales. But why not mildly mod an MkS for livery duty? The above looks like a stretched and touched up version of an MkS. They're doing it for the ugly MkT Town Car. Why??

IMO, the days of float boat Luxury have passed, we're living in the largest power war in decades. Lincoln needs to get in the court with it's more agressive rwd / awd sport oriented import rivals(and Cadillac..) or get lost. a top tier Taurus sho clone isn't enough. if I want a fwd/ casual awd car with some leather and lots of gadets, I can get that in a Hyundai. infact, I can get the Hyundai in rwd too..

orconn
06-23-11, 01:07 PM
For starters Lincoln needs to get the "Jacko Lantern" front out of their styling repetoire. Both cars above look like they are botched up "something elses." Spend the money to do something new, elegant and with a front end that doesn't look like it came off an SUV.

hueterm
06-23-11, 01:20 PM
Continental snowflake, FTW...

Stingroo
06-23-11, 01:47 PM
That MKL thing is quite nice. I see two problems with it, though:

1. What in the name of all that is good and holy is up with those wheels?
2. It would probably be FWD and V6 powered anyway. Yawn.

Lord Cadillac
06-23-11, 01:57 PM
I think Kia liked 'em. :p

That MKL thing is quite nice. I see two problems with it, though:

1. What in the name of all that is good and holy is up with those wheels?
2. It would probably be FWD and V6 powered anyway. Yawn.

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Kia-Optima_2011_photo_01.jpg

Stingroo
06-23-11, 02:15 PM
That's why they're a problem. You can't be Lincoln and be copying (to the public, anyway) Kia. :lol:

orconn
06-23-11, 02:23 PM

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Kia-Optima_2011_photo_01.jpg

Holy cow! I do believe Lincoln management bought their stylists a set of "Mother's Classic Pumpkin Faces" templates and instructed them use every one of the designs. Pitiful, just plain pitiful .... truth is Mulally has been buying stock in Toyota long before hen became head of Ford and is doing everything possible to undermine Lincoln's efforts to design and build a "luxury" car to compete with his beloved Lexus!

gdwriter
06-23-11, 07:41 PM
http://www.portwallpaper.com/imgwal/lincoln-concept.jpgThe Union Pacific 119 called; it wants its cow catcher back.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4756632694_e35cec419f.jpg

Stingroo
06-23-11, 08:02 PM
Lololololololol Gary D. FTMFW.

DouglasJRizzo
06-23-11, 08:09 PM
Something like the above MkL, say MB S class size and weight, hp to match and rear drive - it'd sell. But, as I said before, Mullaly doesn't have the guts. It's just too damn easy to build V6 FWD clones.

77CDV
06-24-11, 12:27 AM
The Union Pacific 119 called; it wants its cow catcher back.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4135/4756632694_e35cec419f.jpg

I was thinking more along the lines of

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b390/bass_god_aka_matt565/Boba_Fett.jpg

Aron9000
06-24-11, 12:39 AM
^Lets hope Lincoln doesn't start using his flying penis spaceship for design inspiration.

M5eater
06-24-11, 08:18 AM

Although I agree they're closer to the Kia rims, I would argue in their defense the Kia rims are a rip off A8 4.2 rims orginally.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/1st_Audi_A8_4.2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1st_Audi_A8_4.2.jpg&usg=__JyUqgyISxIhBlMhQkFgUYzD1CD4=&h=672&w=1692&sz=79&hl=en&start=13&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=pBDJ1jROHJlEEM:&tbnh=60&tbnw=150&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAudi%2BA8%2B4.2%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*%26tbm%3Disch&ei=mIAETtejM4nz0gGTqIX7Cg

Lord Cadillac
06-24-11, 02:22 PM
Lincoln vs. Lexus: The War is On

Ford Motor Company will invest $1 billion in new vehicles to invigorate its struggling luxury Lincoln brand, meaning the war to be fought over the next several years has officially been declared.

It's Lincoln vs. Lexus.

Infusing lagging Lincoln, which has less than one percent of the U.S. automotive market, with $1 billion is a bold move for resurgent Ford (NYSE: F) and CEO Alan Mulally. Lincoln has sold fewer than 35,000 vehicles in the first five months of this year and some industry watchers are claiming it's all but dead. But Ford thinks it can take on the likes of Lexus with Lincoln and win.

Toyota's luxury brand has held the top position in U.S. luxury auto sales for 11 consecutive years, selling more than 229,000 units in 2010. Toyota (NSYE: TM) vehicle sales suffered across all its brands in 2010, however, due to massive recalls and federal government hearings over those recalls.

After betting the entire Ford company, down to its trademark Blue Oval logo, for a $20 billion loan several years ago on the fact that Ford would make a comeback, and winning big with one of the most dramatic corporate turnarounds in global history, Mulally is making a similar bet that he can not only bring Lincoln back to viability, but also successfully take on Toyota's leading Lexus brand and win.

Mulally and members of Ford's leadership team met this week in Dearborn, Michigan, where the company is headquartered, with leading Lincoln dealers from around the country, telling them of the $1 billion investment for new Lincoln vehicles and plan to turn the brand completely around with product by 2014. The meeting was just in time for many Lincoln dealers, who have waited patiently as sales have fallen due to stagnant product while Ford's namesake brand has seen its new and freshened products fly from dealer showrooms.

Last year Lincoln dealers were urged to invigorate their showrooms with costly redesigns in anticipation of Lincoln's revitalized product lineup, but to date they've just spent the money, in some instances as much as $1 million, while waiting on the new vehicles. Mulally explained to the Lincoln dealers he understood their anxiety in the lean times when many are questioning the brand's long-term viability, but that getting Ford's signature Blue Oval brand on back track had to be the first priority.

Read more... (http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/169206/20110624/ford-toyota-lexus-lincoln.htm)

77CDV
06-24-11, 02:39 PM
Good luck to them.

M5eater
06-24-11, 03:58 PM
I almost teared up reading that . Owning a GM product, I will say i'm not thrilled with Akerson's response...I would have thought considering what was said of GM that he was better than pitty slaps in the face to a company that didn't need a government bailout.

orconn
06-24-11, 06:04 PM
Glad to hear of Ford's new commttment to tlincoln brand. I sincerely hope they get on the right track and produce a car, or cars that command attention in the luxury car arena. Anything less and they might as well invest the money in U.S. bonds where at least there would be some kind of return!

Stingroo
06-24-11, 06:06 PM
We'll see.

I personally think they should just give a billion dollars to some random Joe Schmo at this point. At least he'd have fun with it and it would go to SOMETHING. :lol:

orconn
06-24-11, 06:11 PM
Akerson's response showed the lack of imagination that has characterized his tenure at GM. Typical of an American executive who Peter Principalled out a long time ago, Ackerson should just retire from active business and clip coupons!

DouglasJRizzo
06-24-11, 06:16 PM
I'm happy to read the article. But, tough talk aside, I'll wait to see. Ford's signature brand has really come around, but taking on Lexus, MB and BMW means serious commitment. Can they do it? Yes. Will they? we'll see. Deep at heart I was always a "Ford" guy as well as loving my Caddies, and I want to see them succeed.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-24-11, 06:31 PM
Although I agree they're closer to the Kia rims, I would argue in their defense the Kia rims are a rip off A8 4.2 rims orginally.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/23/1st_Audi_A8_4.2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1st_Audi_A8_4.2.jpg&usg=__JyUqgyISxIhBlMhQkFgUYzD1CD4=&h=672&w=1692&sz=79&hl=en&start=13&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=pBDJ1jROHJlEEM:&tbnh=60&tbnw=150&prev=/search%3Fq%3DAudi%2BA8%2B4.2%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26 rls%3Dcom.microsoft:*%26tbm%3Disch&ei=mIAETtejM4nz0gGTqIX7Cg

Kia hired Audi's chief of design about a year ago.

M5eater
06-24-11, 07:08 PM
I'm happy to read the article. But, tough talk aside, I'll wait to see. Ford's signature brand has really come around, but taking on Lexus, MB and BMW means serious commitment. Can they do it? Yes. Will they? we'll see. Deep at heart I was always a "Ford" guy as well as loving my Caddies, and I want to see them succeed.

Cadillac was just as much an underdog as Lincoln, any of their products would have been dead last on my list of cars to own, and yet, here I am. If they can do it, I'm certian Ford will have no problem.

Kia hired Audi's chief of design about a year ago.
I swore to everyone there was some Audi Design in Kia's.. I didn't know this. Thanks.

Aron9000
06-25-11, 01:06 AM
Well I hope they totally blow up the design department at Lincoln with that $1 billion dollars. Their future cars should look nothing like their hideious crap they're selling now.

Playdrv4me
06-25-11, 05:04 AM
Sounds like an A-typical case of "throwing money at the problem". It will be meaningless without a complete transformation of corporate thinking in differentiating Lincoln from Ford.

93DevilleUSMC
07-11-11, 08:06 AM

They see me trollin'
They hatin'

There's a car brand named Obama? I wonder if you have to buy the car before you see what's in it....

93DevilleUSMC
07-11-11, 08:16 AM
Well I hope they totally blow up the design department at Lincoln with that $1 billion dollars. Their future cars should look nothing like their hideious crap they're selling now.

Exactly! Platform sharing is one thing, but the sheetmetal and interiors should be miles ahead of any Ford.