: Softer Ride

Penndon44
06-21-11, 04:14 PM
I have a 2010 Lux Edition AWD . My question is how can I get my ride to feel like the ride of the CTS. when driving the CTS it is a more softer padded sound going over rough road. The SRX I here more, it kind of hard to explain. So is their away to improve the Struts/Shocks for a smoother ride ?

Kuya
06-21-11, 09:56 PM
You can do what I do: Stick a roll of Cottenelle Plus Toilet Tissue in your pants . . it's like driving on a cottony cloud!

TheCaptain
06-21-11, 11:28 PM
Go to the dealer.
Find a CTS that one likes.
Trade in SRX on said CTS.
Now you have a CTS that rides and sounds like a CTS!

Or you can stick with an SRX.

You can't hide every thump ever. Especially since the cargo area (of which happens to be right where the rear struts attach to) is open to the passenger compartment, therefore transferring every bit of noise from the suspension to your ears without being buffered by the rear seat (sound deadening wall) a-la CTS / every other car. The SRX uses a lot of sound deadening insulation, but nothing beats a full seat + more insulation to hide bump sounds. That's why the SRX / open cabin SUV's sound louder over bumps.

Congratulations on being a proud owner of an Sport Recreational X(cross)over! :D :D

Penndon44
06-22-11, 12:21 AM
Ok I understand Sport Recreational X(cross)over ... always looking to improve ! Thanks

GMJim
06-22-11, 07:08 AM
Do what I did, trade your SRX for a CTS Wagon.

CTS = Car
SRX = SUV

Smokin' SRX
06-22-11, 09:23 AM
You don't say what model you have . The Performance and Premium models came with 20" tires. I was also less than thrilled with the ride softness (or lack thereof!) I lower pressure to 33 COLD to help. Note that this is for local/short highway hop only and will shorten tread life by a good 10%. (we only put on about 5K miles a year) When I go for a long highway speed ride (more than 10 miles/55MPH) I go to the recco 35psi COLD to avoid overheating the tires. Especially with 3 passengers!

If you do have the 20" rims/tires consider buying a set of 18" tires/rims on Ebay. They bolt right on and you will get a 10-15% softer ride @ a cost of about $5-1000 bucks , (with shipping,mounting etc)after selling your old ones on Ebay! But test drive one with 18" first to be sure.

As for noise, it is what it is.....

SS

Kuya
06-22-11, 09:31 AM
Since he has the Luxury Model . . I am GUESSING that he may already have the 18" Rims. I see very few LUX's that opted to upgrade to 20" . . .but not impossible.

I think that everyone is correct - it is what it is.

For what it's worth, I have the Premium AWD 20" and have no complaints about the ride at all. But then, I came from a Hyundai to Cadillac. Those bumps that feel like a freight train derailing to you, feel like floating on a cloud of cotton for me!

Smokin' SRX
06-22-11, 09:40 AM
Missed the first sentence Kuya!! (still in shock from taking mine to body shop this morning!) Yes, most Luxury's had 18". Doesn't leave him too many options. Thx for the catch!

SS

Kuya
06-22-11, 10:00 AM
OHH NOOOOOO!!!!

Not to change the subject of the thread . . but . . what happened? I dread the day I will need to take mine into the body/shop. I know it may be inevitable over time. I had my Hyundai Tiburon for almost 6 years. It was in showroom condition always. Then 5 years into owning it, a Taxi Cab slammed into the passenger side of my car . . because he was coming into traffic and not paying attention. $4,000 in damage. Reported to Insurance and so it was placed on the CarFax . . .GREAT :( I contacted my insurance and I wanted them to go after the Cab insurance for more than just costs. I wanted to recover the value of my car depreciation now that I no longer qualify for "excellent" condition on KBB. They said they can't. Although I don't really understand why. It make sense to me. This driver devalued my car. I want what it was worth prior to the accident . .. but no luck. Paid for damages and rental only.

Sorry to hear about your body shop drop off . hope it's nothing major.

Missed the first sentence Kuya!! (still in shock from taking mine to body shop this morning!) Yes, most Luxury's had 18". Doesn't leave him too many options. Thx for the catch!

SS

Smokin' SRX
06-22-11, 09:24 PM
thx KUYA and rest! I threaded "garage door vs rear hatch" just recently ,if ya want the awful details. I'm paying the $500 out of pocket, so no ins. report.
I'm with you on the claim. it cost you $$. Why can't we get a few bucks to compensate? Ins. law is riddled with inconsistencies and incredulity, but it's the best system we got for now..... sorry for your Hyundai horror. Guess I can't complain.....

I have the Plat Ice (white)also! Will report non the paint match. It's a tri-coat. (oh oh)

SS

Kuya
06-22-11, 09:33 PM
I will check out the other thread for the details :(

I got lucky . . . I found the paint pens in my rear cargo area . . . when I was installing the SRX, including the clear coat! SO I am prepared for a minor shopping cart. Not sure if the pens come with the SRX or if the prev owner bought them . . . he seems to have gone all out on this vehicle . .

I too am worried about the paint match on the Plat Ice . . . now that I hear they will not be offering this color anymore. For now, I am sure they have plenty . . but what about 5 years from now?

Smokin' SRX
06-22-11, 11:06 PM
Good luck with those pens. Tri-coat is hard but not impossible to touch up any larger dings. The blend is tuff to get right. The paint components should be available for years. The silver metallic part probably is needed in other brands/colors. It can be mixed from basic stock from there. Clear coat is ubiquitous. I'm guessing though, based on my own experiences and a friend/customer with a paint store who teaches me as I go.

Glad you like the SRX! You sure earned it! LOL

SS

RippyPartsDept
06-22-11, 11:27 PM
kuya... bring those paint pens into the house to keep at room temp

leaving them in the car (with the wide temp changes that the paint will go thru) will degrade the life of that paint pretty fast

GMJim
06-23-11, 07:18 AM
from my experience, the touch up does not match very good. more grey than white.

stevec5375
06-23-11, 06:22 PM
Yeah, life is too short.

Smokin' SRX
06-24-11, 11:00 PM
Penndon44, sorry to have sidetracked your thread when my hatch accident was mentioned! Back to ya!

Never hurts to ask if ya missed something. The SRX has many idiosyncrasies. I hope you accept it for what it is........a damned good Crossover. Not a car.

Either way, enjoy.

SS